Lafayette’s softball team pounded out 18 hits and used a great defensive performance to back up the pitching of Kelsey Kesler in a 17-0 win over Center hill Tuesday night. (March 24, 2010, Page 8A)
Oxford’s tennis team returned from Spring Break with a dominating win over New Hope Tuesday. The Chargers beat the Trojans 7-0 to improve to 5-0 on the year and 2-0 in Division 2-5A play. (March 24, 2010, Page 8A)
The 2010 T.P. Vinson Memorial Scholarship Fundraiser Banquet will be held at 6:30 p.m. April 10 in the Johnson Commons Ballroom on the University of Mississippi campus. The seating for the semi-formal dinner will begin at 6 p.m. The keynote speaker is Dr. Alfred Hall II of the Philadelphia MB Church in Oxford. Tickets are $35 per person, covering a meal of a meat choice, sides, salad and dessert. A reserved table of eight may be purchased for $350. To purchase tickets in advance or for more information, contact Traci Meredith at 662-915-7746 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (March 24, 2010)
Will meet at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Oxford High School Band Hall. The executive board will meet before hand at 6, and a chaperone meeting will be held immediately following the regular booster meeting for those traveling with the band to Washington, D.C. (March 24, 2010)
Anchor Baptist Church, located on Highway 7 between Oxford and Water Valley, will host its annual Joyful Generation Fish Fry from 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday. Plates, available for eat-in or carry-out, will be $7. Homemade cakes and pies will be available as well as a silent auction. Door prizes will also be given. Proceeds will benefit the church’s elderly group, the Joyful Generation. (March 23, 2010)
Meets at noon at the Ole Miss Catering located at 123 Heritage Drive. The club will recognize the Oxford Police Department Officier of the Month and Youth of the Month. Members and guest are invited to attend. For more information, e-mail info@exchangeclubofoxford or visit www.exchangeclubofoxford.org. (March 23, 2010)
Local columnist Jimmy Reed takes a look at government, politics and politicians through the eyes of a judge. The judge’s criticism off all going on in the country might make you wonder a bit. (March 23, 2010, Page 4)
- Ruth Mortimer Cooper — 94, died Thursday, March 18, 2010. Services were held Sunday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial followed in Oak Hill Cemetery in Water Valley.
- Marjorie Ann Greene Moxley — 75, died Sunday, March 21, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. A graveside service will follow at 3:30 p.m. in the Lindsay Cemetery in Belmont. Visitation will be held from 6 until 8 this evening at the funeral home.
The local Multiple Sclerosis Self-Help Group will meet Thursday at 6:30 p.m. in the Magnolia Room of Baptist Memorial Hospital–North Mississippi in Oxford. Family and friends of those affected by MS are invited to attend. For more information, call Robert Allen at 234-3515. (March 23, 2010)
- Patty Ruth Hensley Avent — 81, died Saturday, March 20, 2010. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Tuesday in the Waller Funeral Chapel. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be Monday evening from 5 until 7.
- Robert L. “Bob” Barron — 60, of Indian Rocks Beach, died Sunday, March 21, 2010. Private family services will be held at a later date.
- Ruth Mortimer Cooper — 94, died Thursday, March 18, 2010. Services were held Sunday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial followed in Oak Hill Cemetery.
- Dorthy Mae McNece — 78, died Saturday, March 20, 2010. Services will beheld at 10 a.m. Tuesday in the Rainey-Mathis Funeral Chapel in Bernie, Mo. Burial will follow in the Bernie Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 to 8 this evening at the funeral home.
- Dovie Durline Mays Murphree — 82, f died Thursday, March 18. 2010. Services were held Saturday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial followed in Pinecrest Cemetery.
- Marguerite Still — 91, died Friday, March 19, 2010. Services were held this morning at Clear Creek Baptist Church. Burial followed in Mt. Olivet Cemetery. Waller Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.
- Sylvia Christine “Teena” White Wallace — 52, died Thursday, March 18, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Columbus. Burial will follow in Greenwood Cemetery in West Point. Visitation will be from 5 to 8 this evening at Calvert Funeral Home of West Point and one hour prior to the service at the church.