Local columnist T.J. Ray pens a general letter to candidates who’ve contacted him via various forms of communication during the campaign season, and tells them why it’s so important that their goal is to work for the good of the people. (November 3, 2010, Page 4)
Philip Loria writes to expand on the recent passage of the Oxford School District bond issue, citing state law and a possible violation of it, while Kevin Kempa writes to say that keeping American manufacturing competitive begins at home. (November 3, 2010, Page 4)
- Bradford C. “Brad” Brooks — of Water Valley died Monday. Arrangements are incomplete with Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley.
- Roosevelt Carrouthers Jr. — 48, formerly of Oxford, died Monday in Indianapolis. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Richard B. King — 51, died Monday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Gary Dan Pope — 55, died Monday, Nov. 1, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Union County. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Wednesday at Serenity Chapel in New Albany, with Bro. Jason Howell officiating. Burial will follow at Pisquagh Cemetery in Hickory Flat. Visitation is from 5 to 9 this evening at the church. Serenity Funeral Home of New Albany is in charge of the arrangements.
- Voncille Rosenauer — 86, died Saturday, Oct. 30, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Per the family’s request, there will be no services at this time. Memorials may be made to the charity of the donor’s choice.
The price for Friday’s Class 4A football playoff game at William L. Buford Stadium has been set by the MHSAA at $7. The No. 1 Commodores will host North Pontotoc in the first round game starting at 7 p.m. Only state passes will be recognized for the game, no LHS passes can gain entrance. (November 2, 2010, Page 9)
The Oxford seventh- and eighth-grade girls and boys basketball teams earned its first wins of the season Monday in the Oxford High School gym. The Lady Chargers defeated South Pontotoc 21-15 in the seventh-grade game while the Lady Chargers beat South Pontotoc 30-21 in the eighth-grade game. Oxford’s boys beat South Pontotoc 28-2 while the eighth-grade boys won 61-15 in the nightcap. (November 2, 2010, Page 9)
Championship basketball coach John Wooden’s book “Wooden on Leadership” reminds local columnist Jimmy Reed about how his father used to teach the same basic lesson for life – that taking care of the small things and keeping it simple help take care of the big things. (November 2, 2010, Page 4)
- Mary Anne Womack Burns — 80, died on Friday, Oct. 29, 2010. Services were held Sunday at Coffeeville United Methodist Church. Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley was in charge of arrangements.
- Lonnie Dean Corley — 57, died Friday, Oct. 29, 2010. Services will be held at 2 this afternoon in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in the Anchor Cemetery, Highway 7 South in Water Valley. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Dorothy “Dot” Adele Orr King — 92, died Friday, Oct. 29, 2010. Services were held at noon today at the Batesville Presbyterian Church. Burial followed at Batesville Magnolia Cemetery. Dickins Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.
- Ernest E. Penn Jr. — 90, formerly of Oxford and Grenada, died Thursday, Oct. 28, 2010. Services were held Saturday, and burial followed at Colbert Memorial Gardens. Colbert Memorial Chapel was in charge of arrangements.
- Jesse Glyn Weeks — 84, died Thursday, Oct. 28, 2010. A graveside funeral service was held at Saturday at Oak Hill Cemetery in Water Valley, with Dr. Randy Bain officiating. Seven Oaks Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.
The Fran Talbert family writes to thank local veterans and others for the outpouring of respect following the death of Fran Talbert, while Lena L. Ward writes to tell readers who they should be mad at rather than President Obama and the Democrats. (November 1, 2010, Page 4A)
Oxford’s final cross country meet before the MHSAA State Championships produced two second-place finishes for the Chargers and Lady Chargers in the Division 1-5A meet held in Saltillo Saturday.
Saltillo won both titles Saturday, while New Hope also competed in the meet. (November 1, 2010, Page 3B)
- Lonnie Dean Corley — 57, died Friday, Oct. 29, 2010. Services will held at 2 p.m. Monday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford. Burial will follow in the Anchor Cemetery, Highway 7 South in Water Valley. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
(October 31, 2010)