The Ole Miss women’s basketball team posted a 70-61 win over Illinois in the third-place game of the Waikiki Beach Marriott Rainbow Wahnie Showdown Sunday in Hawaii.
With the win, Ole Miss improves to 5-2 while Illinois fell to 3-4.
Valencia McFarland led Ole Miss with a career-high 24 points and added five rebounds and four assists. Kayla Melson added a career-high 21 points and nine assists. (November 29, 2010, Page 4B)
- Kathleen “Kathy” Wiley Roberts — 88, died Friday, Nov. 26, 2010, at her residence in Abbeville. Service will be held at 10 a.m. Tuesday in the Waller Funeral Home Chapel. A graveside service will follow in Forest Hill Cemetery-Midtown in Memphis at 12:30 p.m. Visitation will be Monday from 4 until 7 p.m. at the funeral home.
(November 28, 2010)
- Era Jane Coleman - 92, died Thursday, Nov. 25, 2010, at Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. Services will be held at11 a.m. today in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home, with Min. Lendy Bartlett officiating. Burial will follow in Pine Bluff Cemetery. Visitation will be held one hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
Larry Lonnell Chrestman - 63, died Wednesday, Nov. 24, 2010, at his home in Batesville. Services will be held at 2 p.m. today Saturday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home, with the Rev. Paul Meacham officiating. Burial will follow in Eastover Memorial Cemetery. Visitation was held Friday at the funeral home.
Rosie P. Ford - 70, died Monday, Nov. 22, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford.Services will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Clear Creek MB Church, with the Rev. Eddie D. Goliday Jr. officiating. Burial will follow in Clear Creek Cemetery. Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc is in charge of the arrangements.
(November 27, 2010)
- David J. Jones — 80, died Wednesday, Nov. 24, 2010, at his home in Water Valley. The visitation will be held Saturday from 10 to 11 a.m. at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. The funeral service will be held at 11 at the funeral home.
- Clay Allen McCammon — 47 , died Tuesday, Nov. 23, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. The visitation will be Friday from 1 until 2 p.m. at Turkey Creek Baptist Church in Calhoun County. The funeral service will be held at 2 at the church. Burial will follow at the church cemetery. Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley is in charge of arrangements.
The Ole Miss men’s hoops squad will look to get back on track Friday, hosting Big Ten opponent Penn State at 6 p.m.
The Nittany Lions (4-0 overall) enter Friday’s matchup at the C.M. “Tad” Smith Coliseum fresh off of a 77-61 win over Central Connecticut State on Monday.
Leading Penn State offensively is senior forward Jeff Brooks and senior point guard Talor Battle. Brooks is averaging a team-high 17.0 points per game. (November 25, 2010, Page 8A)
What’s the typical Thanksgiving Day gathering like today? The “traditiional” happily married couple with children or the becoming-more-common non-traditional family with single parents? Local columnist Deidra Jackson takes a look at the reality of today and points out that the non-traditional is also the norm this holiday season. (November 25, 2010, Page 4A)
Oxford historian Jack Mayfield takes us back to the beginnings of the Egg Bowl in 1901 when the two teams finally came together for the in-state rivalry that continues today. (November 25, 2010, Page 2B)
Oxford Generations columnist Joanne Wilkinson recounts her first experiences in the Grove where she found pleasant surprises. (November 25, 2010, Page 1B)
- Clay Allen McCammon — 47, died Tuesday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley.
- Allie Orange — 70, died Tuesday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home.
- May Jean Zehnder — 82, died Monday, Nov. 22, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Chapel of the Cross Episcopal Church in Madison. Visitation will follow in the Parish Hall. A private committal service will take place next week at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Oxford.
Luisa Arico serves up another of her Italian hits in this Thanksgiving recipe for Paglia e Fieno for four. (November 24, 2010, Page 8A)