Local physician Dr. Keith Mansel takes a look at high blood pressure and what it means to those who have it or have a chance to get it. He looks at diagnosis, evaluation and forms of treatment for hypertension. (May 13, 2010, Page 8A)
- Ronald Eugene Hays — 84, died Tuesday, May 11, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at Anchor Baptist Church.
- Theo Hilliard — 105, died Sunday, May 9, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Tallahatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Burial will follow in the Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Zella Mae Jones — 77, died today at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Russell King — 83, of Graceville died Sunday, May 9, 2010. Services will be held at 2 this afternoon at New Home Baptist Church. Burial will follow in Salem United Methodist Church Cemetery. The James & Lipford Funeral Home in Graceville is in charge of arrangements.
- Dorothy Jean McGee — 70, , died Sunday, May 9, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Philadelphia M.B. Church. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
Local columnist T.J. Ray takes on litter with a column showing how easy some folks must think it is to clean up trash since they don’t hesitate to put it out. Who among us is not guilty? (May 13, 2010, Page 4A)
The win closed out the non-conference schedule for the Rebels (35-15 overall). Ole Miss went 20-6 outside of league play this season. (May 13, 2010, Page 1B)
A spaghetti dinner fundraiser for the local Veterans Building will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday at Veterans Building, 125 Veterans Drive. Dine-in or carry-out plates available. Plates will contain spaghetti, cole slaw, bread, dessert and drink and cost $10 each. (May 13, 2010)
Lafayette County Democratic Party will meet at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Lafayette County Chancery Building on North Lamar just off the Square. Feel free to attend and bring your friends and family. For more information, visit www.lafayettedems.org. (May 13, 2010)
A free boating safety class will be held at 8 a.m. Saturday at the Lafayette Middle School auditorium. This class is required for anyone born since June 30, 1980, prior to operating a boat. To register, call (662) 563-6330. (May 13, 2010)
Buffalo Peak Outfitters and SALOMON will present the “Ruff”ly Four Mile Trail Run on Saturday to benefit the Oxford Lafayette Humane Society. The run will begin at 8 a.m. at the Whirlpool Trails. There will be door prizes and giveaways. The registration fee is $25. For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. (May 13, 2010)
Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi is offering a free Autism Expo from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday at the Baptist Outpatient Rehabilitation clinic.
The expo will feature two therapy demonstrations including sensory integration and assistive communication devices. The program will also offer an opportunity to speak with local pediatric clinics regarding growth and developmental milestones, one-on-one time with Dr. Emily Johnson to discuss the testing process and behavior management techniques for autism, and activities for the kids.
The event is free. No preregistration is required. For more information on the Autism Expo, call 236-9294. (May 13, 2010)