Joanne Wilkinson describes a place that is one her favorite places, the Oxford public library. Read why Wilkinson feels that Oxford’s library is both welcoming and innovative. (July 16, 2010, Page 1B)
The Kennon Observatory at Ole Miss will have a free open house from 8:20 to 9:30 this evening. The Moon, Saturn, Venus and the (tiny) Mars are all observable after sunset, but they all go down early. The best time to view them is in the beginning of the session.
Afterwards attending will be observing star clusters, nebulae and colorful double stars. As the dome of Kennon Observatory is being repaired, observers will not be able to use the large telescope inside. However, some good quality scopes will be set up in the parking lot.
Observations are possible only if the weather cooperates. In case the weather is cloudy, or rainy, there can be no observation. In that case some physics demonstrations will be available for viewing for those interested. Families and children are welcome. (July 16, 2010)
This week columnist Jack Mayfield uncovered a letter issued by William Faulkner’s hunting group to King Gustav of Sweden. Read about one of the most interesting stories told about Faulkner and his personal life, found only in this weeks Oxford Living section. (July 16, 2010, Page 3B)
- Myra Barber — 83, died Thursday, July 15, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at First Baptist Church in Oxford. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be held two hours prior to the service at the church on Monday. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements.
- Ronnie Hodge — died Wednesday, July 14, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow in the New Hope Cemetery in Coffeeville. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 this evening at the funeral home.
Ashley Fly has played the role of teacher’s assistant, cultural guide, translator and even life coach for her Spanish students at the University of Mississippi. (July 15, 2010, Page 3)
Keeping yourself well and being aware of on-going cold symptoms can protect your newborn from illness. Guest columnist Dr. Shaun Helmhaut discusses the dangers of a whooping cough epidemic to the unimmunized. (July 15, 2010, Page 12)
- James C. Churchill — 76, died Wednesday, July 14, 2010, at his residence in Water Valley. No service is planned at this time. Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford was in charge of arrangements.
- William Mirah McCarty — 88, died Tuesday, July 13, 2010. Services were held this morning at Providence Baptist Church near Ackerman. Burial followed in the church cemetery. Coleman Funeral Home of Ackerman was in charge of arrangements.
New snack recipes are offered up for the fast approching school year. (July 14, 2010, Page 6)
- Ellie Grace Cooper — 93, died Monday, July 12, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Memphis. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday at Memorial Funeral Home Chapel in Columbus. Burial will follow at Mt. Zion Baptist Church Cemetery. Visitation will be held from noon until service time at the funeral home.
The members of the Kountry Krafters Homemakers Club will meet at noon Monday at the Lafayette County Extension Office on Highway 7 South. Members are reminded to bring the front of cards, drink tabs and candlewax. Guests are welcome. For more information, call Gerda at 234-9983. (July 14, 2010)