Rain shortened Saturday’s Class 2, 4 and 6A meets at Pearl High School. The meets were scheduled to resume today at 2.
Lafayette’s girls and boys were competing in the meet Saturday and had some athletes finish before the rains canceled the meet. (more…) (May 17, 2010, Page 3B)
A three-legged stool doesn’t wobble. But four-legged stools often teeter because the tips of their legs don’t lie in the same plane. This phenomenon of dependent sets, first theorized 75 years ago, is the focus of the 16th Dalrymple Lecture in Mathematics, set for 5:30 p.m. Friday at the University of Mississippi. James Oxley, who holds an alumni professorship at Louisiana State University, is to deliver the address, which is free and open to the public in the Student Union Ballroom.
An internationally renowned mathematician from Australia, Oxley earned his doctoral degree from Oxford University. He has published more than 120 research papers in mathematics and authored the book “Matroid Theory,” considered the standard text in the field. Oxley plans to discuss geometry and network theory, as well as matroids, a common theory of dependence that applies to both.
For more information or for assistance related to a disability, contact James Reid at 662-915-7437. (May 16, 2010)
GENERATIONS COLUMN – Between the time I spend working at Square Books and Fotino’s and keeping up with my homework, I don’t have a lot of spare time I can spend hanging out with with family. (May 14, 2010, Page 1B)
Harold Prestage writes to answer national columnist Helen Thomas’ question about who Republican congressmen are representing. (May 14, 2010, Page 4A)
LUCILLE GARDNER – 92, died Thursday, May 13, 2010, at her residence in Oxford. Services will be at 1 p.m. Sunday at Free Springs C.M.E. Church. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in charge of arrangements.
GARY BROWN HAIRE – 56, died Sunday, May 2, 2010, in Meridian. A graveside service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday in Bethlehem Cemetery in Velma, with the Rev. Freddie Moorman officiating. Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley is in charge of arrangements.
BROWN SULLIVAN – 63, died Wednesday, May 12, 2010, at his residence in Bruce. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Parker Memorial Funeral Home Chapel in Bruce, with Bro. Billy Hill and Bro. Paul Morris officiating. Burial will follow in Parker Cemetery in Bruce. Visitation is from 5 to 8 this evening at the funeral home. (May 14, 2010, Page 2A)
Ole Miss enhanced the season ticket package for the 2011 season with the addition of Boise State to the slate in the opener.
Ole Miss Athletics Director Pete Boone announced the move on Thursday. (May 14, 2010, Page 6A)
Offense was the name of the game for the Sharp Insurance Royals in their 15-6 win over the Rozier Hayes Cardinals in the Oxford Park Commission’s 13-14 year-old league Thursday night. In the other 13-14 game, the Bancoxford Insurance Services Cubs beat the Hampton Inn Twins 8-5.
In the 9-and-Under league, the Larson’s Big Star Red Sox doubled up the Plein Air Royals 8-4, while the Bert’s Plumbing Reds topped the Smith Building Supply Twins 9-7. In the 10-and-Under league, the Morgan White Insurance Rays beat the Hampton Inn hotel Cardinals 7-5, the First National Bank of Oxford Braves pounded the Rock Star Taxi Yankees 17-0, while the Morgan White Rays edged the Hampton Inn hotel Cardinals 7-5. Winning by forfeit in the league were the Red Sox over the Yankees.
In two 11-12 games, the Orioles edged Oxford Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Rays 7-6, while the McKeeson Royals pounded the Gilliland Orthodontics Yankees 17-2. (May 14, 2010, Page 7A)
The Oxford Music Teachers’ Association is hosting its 50th Honor’s Recital at 3 p.m. Sunday in Nutt Auditorium in the Music Building at the University of Mississippi. There will be a reception afterwards. Every year, the members of the association choose several students from their studios to participate in this concert. This yea, students will perform on the piano, cello and violin. (May 14, 2010)
Local physician Dr. Keith Mansel takes a look at high blood pressure and what it means to those who have it or have a chance to get it. He looks at diagnosis, evaluation and forms of treatment for hypertension. (May 13, 2010, Page 8A)
- Ronald Eugene Hays — 84, died Tuesday, May 11, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at Anchor Baptist Church.
- Theo Hilliard — 105, died Sunday, May 9, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Tallahatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Burial will follow in the Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Zella Mae Jones — 77, died today at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Russell King — 83, of Graceville died Sunday, May 9, 2010. Services will be held at 2 this afternoon at New Home Baptist Church. Burial will follow in Salem United Methodist Church Cemetery. The James & Lipford Funeral Home in Graceville is in charge of arrangements.
- Dorothy Jean McGee — 70, , died Sunday, May 9, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Philadelphia M.B. Church. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford is in charge of arrangements.