- Pam Clearman — 45, died Monday, Aug. 30, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Cambridge United Methodist Church. Burial will follow in Cambridge Cemetery. Visitation will be from 4 until 8 this evening at Waller Funeral Home of Oxford.
- George Webber Lewis — 87, died Friday, Aug. 13, 2010, at his home in Yuba City, Calif. At his request, no formal services were held.
- Gerald “Jerry” Wayne Webb Jr. — 50, died Monday, Aug. 30, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital–North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Saturday at New Hope Baptist Church in Harmontown. Burial will follow in New Hope Cemetery. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the church. Ray-Nowell Funeral Home of Senatobia is in charge of arrangements.
The Chargers won the seventh-grade game 26-6, while the Commodores took the eighth-grade game in the nightcap 16-0. (September 1, 2010, Page 7)
Tickets for Friday’s annual Crosstown Classic between Lafayette and Oxford are currently on sale at both high schools and University Sporting Goods located on the Oxford Square.
Cost of the tickets are $5. There were 2,000 tickets available for this year’s game that will be played at Oxford’s Bobby Holcomb Field. Oxford Athletics Director Johnny Hill said that all unsold tickets will be available to spectators at the gate. Kickoff at Bobby Holcomb Field is set for 7:30 p.m. between the 2-0 Chargers and 2-0 Commodores. (September 1, 2010, Page 7)
Today, new cookbooks are being published that read like history books. The cookbooks offer up great tasting recipes and a way to experience different American cultures. (September 1, 2010, Page 8)
The Ole Miss Ballroom Dance Club will host a “Back to School Dance” from 7 to 10 p.m. Saturday at Johnson Commons Ballroom on the Ole Miss campus. Everyone is welcome. A group E.C. Swing lesson will be taught by The Dance Studio of Tupelo. Open dancing will also be featured. Those who don’t already know how to dance are invited to come and have fun while they learn. Dress is casual. Admission is $8 for members and $12 for non-members. Student admission is $5 for members and $9 for non-members. Yearly membership dues are $25 and student yearly membership dues are $15. For more information, call Fred or Kathy at 234-8530, or visit www.ombdc.com. (September 1, 2010)
The second annual Studio Crawl, sponsored by the Water Valley Arts Council, and an art opening, will be start at Bozarts Art Gallery, 403 Main Street in Water Valley, at 5:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 10. An opening reception for “Southern Comforts,” an exhibit of the work of five artists, will be held at the gallery from 5:30 to 9 p.m. (September 1, 2010)
The Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Caregiver Support Group will meet at 7 p.m. Monday at the Azalea Gardens Senior Care Community, 100 Azalea Drive. Since the group is meeting on Labor Day, the theme of the discussion will be: “While Caregiving is a Labor of Love, it is still Labor.” The meeting is open to all caregivers interested in those with Alzheimer’s and related memory loss disorders. Those interested in the group are encouraged to request to be on its e-mail list. Refreshments will be provided compliments of Azalea Gardens. For more information, contact Jo Ann O’Quin, UM Department of Social Work, at 915-7199 or email@example.com. (September 1, 2010)
The Oxford Chargers rolled to a 44-12 victory over Lafayette in ninth-grade football action Monday evening at William L. Buford Stadium. (August 31, 2010, Page 6)
- Pam Clearman — 45, died Monday, Aug. 30, 2010, at Grenada Lake Medical Center. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday, at Cambridge United Methodist Church. Burial will follow in Cambridge Cemetery. Visitation will be Wednesday from 4 until 8 p.m. at Waller Funeral Home.
- Suzanne Elliott Fowler — 42, died Sunday, Aug. 29, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday at The Jefferson Street Chapel of W. E. Pegues Funeral Home in Tupelo. Burial will follow in Oak Grove Cemetery. Visitation will be 5 – 8 this evening at the funeral home.
- Kimberly Karol “Kim” Morrow Herrin — 43, died Saturday, Aug. 28, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday in the Chapel of Waller Funeral Home in Oxford. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 until 7 p.m. on Wednesday at the funeral home.
North Mississippi Hospice will sponsor a grief support group meeting at noon Thursday, Sept. 9, at Azalea Gardens in Oxford. The meeting is open to anyone who has experienced loss. A light lunch will be provided. For more information, call 234-0140. (August 31, 2010)