Sometimes there’s a fear of doctors, no matter how much good they might do you. Local columnist Jimmy Reed takes that fear head-on as he relates recent relationships with a gastroenterologist, a cardiologist and a surgeon. (October 12, 2010, Page 4)
Joel Miller and Sue Cook both write in response to Dr. Will Dabbs’ guest column about the culture of alcohol locally. Miller says the problem needs to be addressed at its core, while Cook says that Dabbs’ commentary is right on target. (October 12, 2010, Page 4)
- Malinda Brister — 77, of Oxford died Saturday in Memphis. Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Amanda Louise Gardner — 86, died Saturday, Oct. 9, 2010. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Tuesday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in the Veterans Garden of the Garden of Memories located at the funeral home. Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 this evening at the funeral home.
- Robert Pratcher — 80, died Tuesday, Oct. 5, 2010. Services were held Sunday at Mt. Moriah C.M.E. Church in Como. Burial followed in the church cemetery. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford was in charge of arrangements.
- Marshall Williams — 51, died Sunday at Graceland Care Center in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford.
Leroy Mullins writes to say that he and his wife, Barbara, will vote yes on the upcoming Oxford School District bond referendum to help the children of the community, while Barbara J. Smith writes to thank all of the groups and individuals that helped The Pantry during the past month. (October 11, 2010, Page 4A)
The No. 1 ranked Lafayette Commodores dominated Senatobia in every aspect of the game Friday night, beating the Warriors 54-7 at William L Buford Stadium. The Commodores improved to 8-0 overall on the year and 4-0 in Region 2-4A play despite starting the game more on the sluggish side. (October 11, 2010, Page 1B)
Despite several runners being absent, the Oxford cross country team was still able to fare well at the Mississippi College Cross Country Invitational on Saturday.
While the varsity boys placed ninth and the girls placed 11th, the junior varsity boys took fifth place and the JV girls placed eighth. (October 11, 2010, Page 3B)
Neither the Volleys nor the Spinners could get one-up the other during last Thursday’s Oxford Park Commission’s junior team tennis action, tying 2-2. Anne Hardy earned the lone singles match point for Spinners. Ryan Mounce and Jonathan Masters earned the No. 1 doubles point, while John Tate Roberts and Avery Atkinson earned the No. 3 doubles point for the Volleys. Barrett Childress and Sadie Wilson combined to earn the Spinners’ lone doubles point. (more…) (October 11, 2010, Page 5B)
The Lafayette Commodores steamed through the Warriors of Senatobia 54-7 Friday night as the Commodore ground game accounting for 264 yards and six touchdowns. (more…) (October 9, 2010)
- Dr. Ephraim Edward “Ed” Davidson — 87, died Monday, Oct. 4, 2010. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the First Baptist Church in Stillwater. Burial will follow at Sunset Memorial Gardens. Strode Funeral Home in Stillwater is in charge of arrangements.
- Henry Louis Graham — 87, died Monday, Oct. 4, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at Union Prospect MB Church in New Albany. Burial will follow in Union Prospect Cemetery. Visitation will be held from noon to 4:30 this afternoon at the Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc and from 6-8 this evening at the church.
- Evelyn Noel — 71, died Tuesday, Oct. 5, 2010. Services will be held at a later date in St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Serenity-Martin Funeral Home is in charge of local arrangements and V.H. Funeral Home in St. Thomas is in charge of all other arrangements.
While mascot voting is underway, THE EAGLE was curious what you think about the overall mascot issue. We have a two-question survey that will take about 15 seconds to complete. Let us know what you think by clicking on the survey below:
Click here to take survey (October 8, 2010)