NASCAR COLUMN – Kyle McElhaney takes a look back at last weekend’s All-Star event with its Sprint Showdown. He talks about the various parts of the all-star race, it’s controversial and exciting ending and what it meant to most drivers and fans. (May 27, 2010, Page 7)
Local physician Dr. Keith Mansel writes about shingles this week, nothing symptoms and treatments of the disease that strikes many more people than most of us think. (May 27, 2010, Page 12)
- Paul E. Bruening — 48, died Monday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home.
- Denise Michelle Churchill — 33, died Sunday, May 23, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Poplar Springs Baptist Church in Kilmichael. Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford was in charge of local arrangements.
- Robert Earl “T.J.” Lowry — 54, died Monday, May 24, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday at the Bethlehem Church of the Lord Jesus Christ, with Bro. Steve Wilson officiating. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 to 10 this evening at the church. Coleman Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Rufus “Kenneth” Reed, 72, died Tuesday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Angel M. Chapman — 32, of Taylor died this morning at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Clarence D. Smith — 87, of Water Valley died Monday, May 24, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow at Oak Hill Cemetery in Water Valley. Visitation will be held one hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
Local columnist Jimmy Reed discusses how nature and politics are much the same in that there are consequences for actions. Reed wonders if America’s leaders are refusing to see what Americans are beginning to see: consequences. (May 25, 2010, Page 4)
“Bringing it Back Home” — The Oxford High School Class of 1990 will celebrate its 20-year reunion June 4-5. The weekend begins that Friday night with a gathering at 824 Fillmore Ave. from 7 to 9 p.m. Classmates and their families will enjoy a picnic Saturday at the high school. A tour of the school will start at 11:45 a.m.. Former teachers are invited to attend. Food will be provided. The weekend will conclude Saturday evening with dinner and music at the Oxford University Club.
(more…) (May 25, 2010)
Abbeville postmaster Brenda Lewis writes to thank all of those who helped the community in the aftermath of the May 2 tornado, calling them a silver lining in the tragedy. Lafayette High student council president Jeremy Williams and student council advisors Gail Caldwell and Daisy Bullard wrote to thank of the the merchants and friends who helped with Teacher Appreciation Day at the school. (May 25, 2010, Page 4)
Ole Miss left-handed pitcher Drew Pomeranz was named the 2010 winner of the Cellular South Ferriss Trophy awarded annually to the top collegiate baseball player in the state of Mississippi. Pomeranz is the fourth Rebel to win the award. (May 25, 2010, Page 8)
Hoops for Hope, a 3-on-3 basketball tournament fundraiser, will be held Saturday at the Oxford Activity Center on Price Street. Team registration cost $40. Registration begins at 9 a.m. and games start at 10. Entry fee will be $5 for adults and $1 for children, ages 10 and under. Proceeds from the event will be donated to American Cancer Society. Special guest participants will include Dexter McCluster, Deshae Townsend, Terrance Metcalf and more. A raffle will also be held to win prizes provided by local businesses. (May 25, 2010)
The community is invited to join area veterans and local leaders as Oxford pays tribute to the deceased veterans at 10:30 a.m. Monday at the National Guard Armory on Sisk Avenue, next to the Oxford Conference Center. (May 25, 2010)