- Pam Clearman — 45, died Monday, Aug. 30, 2010, at Grenada Lake Medical Center. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday, at Cambridge United Methodist Church. Burial will follow in Cambridge Cemetery. Visitation will be Wednesday from 4 until 8 p.m. at Waller Funeral Home.
- Suzanne Elliott Fowler — 42, died Sunday, Aug. 29, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday at The Jefferson Street Chapel of W. E. Pegues Funeral Home in Tupelo. Burial will follow in Oak Grove Cemetery. Visitation will be 5 – 8 this evening at the funeral home.
- Kimberly Karol “Kim” Morrow Herrin — 43, died Saturday, Aug. 28, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday in the Chapel of Waller Funeral Home in Oxford. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 until 7 p.m. on Wednesday at the funeral home.
North Mississippi Hospice will sponsor a grief support group meeting at noon Thursday, Sept. 9, at Azalea Gardens in Oxford. The meeting is open to anyone who has experienced loss. A light lunch will be provided. For more information, call 234-0140. (August 31, 2010)
The Mockingbird Early Music Ensemble will open it’s season this year with “Golden Oldies.” The free concert will feature favorite tunes of the 15th and 16th centuries in exciting and beautiful arrangements for historical instruments such as recorder and viola da gamba. The concert will be held at 7 p.m. Monday, Oct. 4, at Paris-Yates Chapel on the campus of the University of Mississippi. For information, visit www.mockingbirdensemble.org. (August 31, 2010)
The University of Mississippi’s Pride of the South Band and Jacksonville State’s Marching Southerners Band are set to perform a joint concert after the Rebels’ season opener Saturday against the Jacksonville State Gamecocks.
The concert is free and will begin immediately following the game in Vaught-Hemingway Stadium. Fans can come to the east stands to watch. The concert will feature a standstill performance with four brief tunes. Both bands will be arranged by section and standing in a large arc on the field. (August 31, 2010)
Local columnist Jimmy Reed recalls an unusual trip while getting an airworthiness inspection for his Piper Cub, one where he explains how he earned the identity to some air controllers as “Confetti Flyboy.” (August 31, 2010, Page 4)
The members of the Tallahatchie Toastmasters will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday at Cedar Oaks Heritage House, 601 Murray Street. Anyone interested is invited to learn public speaking and leadership skills. Visit the website for more information at http://tallahatchie.freetoasthost.biz or call 234-9318. (August 30, 2010)
The American Red Cross will offer an Adult, Child, and Infant CPR community class from 5:30 to 9 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 20. The cost of the class is $35. All classes are held at the Red Cross Office at 106 Skyline Drive. Interested participants should contact the Red Cross office at 236-1282 to register. Pre-registration is required for the class. (August 30, 2010)
The members of the Newcomers of Oxford will gather for their annual Fall Kickoff Party at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 21 at Greystone Farm. However, annual dues as well as fees for the catered meal must be paid by Sept. 13. In addition to the food, there will be music, skits, plus introductions of officers and committee chairs. New residents to the Oxford area are welcome to join. Visit or call the Oxford-Lafayette County Chamber of Commerce for information and forms for membership and the big fall party. (August 30, 2010)
Jim Morrison, director of Campus Sustainability at the University of Mississippi, kicks off this series for the fall with “Service and Sustainability in the Lafayette County/Oxford/University Community” to share ideas on how sustainability involves respecting and helping people as much as it does the environment. The Green Bag Lunch is co-sponsored by the Center for the Study of Southern Culture and the Office of Campus Sustainability. The lecture will be held at noon Wednesday in the Barnard Observatory lecture hall. (August 30, 2010)
- Mattie Lou Woods Ivy Bruce — 103, died Friday, Aug. 27, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday at Union Hill MB Church. Burial will follow in Union Hill Cemetery. Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Second Missionary Baptist Church on Jackson Avenue in Oxford. Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc is in charge of the arrangements.
- Thomas Ramage Ethridge — 92, died Sunday, Aug. 29, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday at First Presbyterian Church. Visitation will be Tuesday from 5 until 7 p.m. in the fellowship hall of First Presbyterian Church and again, preceding the service, from 10 until 10:45 a.m. in the fellowship hall. A private family graveside service will be held following the service at Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Helen Grace Garavelli — 86, of Southaven died Thursday, Aug. 26, 2010. Services will be held at 2:30 this afternoon at Memorial Park Funeral Home in Memphis. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Pricilla Romanda Gladney — 38, of Oxford died Sunday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Kimberly Karol Herrin — 43, died Saturday at Sumner Regional Hospital in Gallatin, Tenn. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Lila Marie McGregor — 89, died Friday, Aug. 27, 2010. Services were held Sunday at Tutor Memorial Funeral Home in Pontotoc. Burial followed in Carey Springs Cemetery.
- Amanda McCain Pipkin — 38, died Thursday, Aug. 26, 2010. Services were held Saturday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley. Burial followed at Goshen Cemetery in Coffeeville.
- Elizabeth Louise “Betty” Wilkinson — 86, died Friday, Aug. 27, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the College Hill Presbyterian Church in Oxford. Visitation will be held an hour prior to the service at the church. Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of local arrangements.
- James Henry Wolfe — 74, died on Friday, Aug. 27, 2010. Services were held at noon today in the Henry Chapel of the Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial followed at Ford’s Well Cemetery in Yalobusha County.