Filling a critical need on a coaching staff that went through a major shakeup after a 5-7 season, Texas hired Mississippi State defensive coordinator Manny Diaz to do the same job with the Longhorns. (more…) (January 6, 2011, Page 6)
Dead birds and dead fish. Coincidence or incidental? That’s the question local columnist Deidra Jackson asks as she talks about a few ongoing stories with widespread coverage and widely varied explanations. Jackson urges us to seek the real truth and also to remember that we’re responsible for taking care of this Earth. (January 6, 2011, Page 4)
- Ruby Doyle Vinson Hall — 86, died Tuesday, Jan. 4, 2011, at her home in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home in Oxford. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be from 4 to 6 p.m. this evening at the funeral home.
- Sherlie Fay Sullivan Swann — 50, died Saturday, Jan. 1, 2011, at her home in Coffeeville. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at Ecru Baptist Church in Pontotoc County. Burial will take place at Warren Cemetery in Pontotoc County. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley.
The Oxford Rebels, a 7-year old Select baseball team, will be holding tryouts for youth ages 7 or younger that have a birthday by April 30. The deadline to sign up for the tryout is Feb. 1. For more information about the tryout, contact Kyle Wicker at 816-2843. (January 5, 2011, Page 7)
Registration for the Oxford Park Commission’s spring soccer league has begun. The cost to participate is $50 for new players and $25 for returning players ages 4 to 14. For more information, contact C.J. Ketchum at (662) 232-2380. (January 5, 2011, Page 7)
Registration for the Oxford Park Commission’s spring baseball league is underway. The cost to participate is $50 and the league ranges from age 5 to 15. Children must be 5 by April 30 of 2011 to participate. For more information contact the OPC office at (662) 232-2380. (January 5, 2011, Page 7)
The Oxford Lady Chargers basketball squad avenged their lone loss of the season on Tuesday with a 53-52 double-overtime victory over Grenada. The Oxford boys lost 64-52 to Grenada in the nightcap. (more…) (January 5, 2011, Page 7)
Lamarcus Faulkner scored nine points to help lead the 9-10 year-old Lakers to a 19-17 win over the Bulls in Oxford Park Commission youth basketball action.
In two 7-8 games, the Lakers defeated the Heat 18-4, while the Jazz beat the Bulls 18-13. (January 5, 2011, Page 7)
Former Oxford resident Jo Middleton writes to tell how she’s left Oxford but its writers haven’t left her. She relates stories about authors from the community and wonders if she might have picked up a little of the “spirit” to use in a book of her own. (January 5, 2011, Page 4)
- Erma Lee Barnes — 89, died Wednesday, Dec. 29, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. A private service was held today at Oak Hill Cemetery in Water Valley. Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley was in charge of arrangements.
- Lillie “Seal” Crowley — 53, died Thursday, Dec. 30, 2010 at her residence in Oxford. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday at East St. Peters M.B. Church in Abbeville. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be from 5 to 6:30 this evening at Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Edwin Rode Flautt — 56, died Sunday, Jan. 2, 2011. Graveside services will be held at 2 this afternoon at Woodlawn Cemetery in Sumner. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service at the cemetery. Wilson & Knight Funeral Home of Greenwood is in charge of arrangements.
- Dewey David Saxton — 78, died on Saturday, Dec. 25, 2010, at his home in Lafayette County. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow in Oak Hill Cemetery. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Juanita “Nounce” Vaughn — 67, died Friday, Dec. 31, 2010, at her niece’s residence in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Tallahatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Burial will follow be in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.