The Oxford Booster Club will be selling DVD’s of the 2010 OHS football season as well as clothing and accessories. OHS boys basketball coach Drew Tyler will be the guest speaker at the meeting that will be held in the Oxford Commons at 5:30 p.m., Thursday. (December 7, 2010, Page 9)
The Christmas holidays are a time, if there is any during the year, when we need to be thankful for all we have in our country. Local columnist Jimmy Reed points out that today’s date (the bombing of Pearl Harbor and the U.S. entrance into World War II) and Christmas mark notable times in our country’s history and in it becoming the nation it is today, and urges all of us to keep an attitude of thankfulness. (December 7, 2010, Page 4)
A.B. Wilson writes to relate a disturbing incident that happened in connection with the recent Ole Miss-Mississippi State football game, while Nell Green writes to explain some of the policies and practices required when holding a local election. (December 7, 2010, Page 4)
- Billie Clarine Easley — 70, died Saturday, Dec. 4, 2010, at her residence near Oxford. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Tuesday at College Hill Heights Baptist Church. Visitation will be held one hour prior to the service at the church. Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Jonnie Maeford Sharp Gregory — 87, died Saturday, Dec. 4, 2010, at her residence in Paris. Services will be at 2 this afternoon at the New El Bethel Baptist Church in Paris. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Parker Memorial Funeral Home of Bruce is in charge of arrangements.
- Lourette Griffin Harrington — 87, died Saturday, Dec. 4, 2010, at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. Services were held this morning at the Pleasant Ridge Baptist Church in Woodland. Burial followed in the Pleasant Ridge Cemetery. Houston Funeral Home of Houston was in charge of arrangements.
- Guy B. Perkins — 75, died Friday, Dec. 3, 2010, at his home in Water Valley. Services were held this morning in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial followed at the Black Jack Cemetery in Panola County.
- Charles Gregory Thomas — 41, died Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2010, at his home in Fairhope, Ala. A Celebration of Life was held Sunday at All Saints Episcopal Church in Grenada, followed by burial at Woodlawn Cemetery. An additional memorial service was held at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Daphne, Ala., this morning. Garner-Harper Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.
The Oxford Chargers lost 82-50 to Tupelo over the weekend despite 16 points from Justin Fondren. Luke Gibbs scored eight points for the Chargers (6-3), who trailed 35-21 at the half. Dee Ewing led 7-2 Tupelo with 17 points, while Rashaun Coleman added 16. Oxford’s girls remained perfect on the season with a win over the Lady Golden Wave. Both varsity teams will be back in action Tuesday at home against Charleston. Action begins with a ninth-grade boys game at 5 p.m. (December 6, 2010, Page 2B)
It was a tight contest early, but the Ole Miss volleyball team fell to North Carolina in the first round of the NCAA Tournament Friday night by a score of 3-1 (20-25, 20-25, 18-25, 9-25). (more…) (December 6, 2010, Page 3B)
Senior Kayla Melson came alive in the second half and finished the game with a career-high 29 points but Ole Miss’ late comeback fell short as the Lady Rebels fell at South Alabama 67-60 Sunday afternoon. (more…) (December 6, 2010, Page 3B)
- Guy B. Perkins — 75, died Friday, Dec. 3, 2010, at his home in Water Valley. Services will be held Monday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley, with Bro. Virgil Nelson and Bro. Roger Hunter officiating. Burial will follow at the Black Jack Cemetery in Panola County. Visitation will be held from 4 until 6 this evening at the funeral home.
- Charles Gregory Thomas — 41, died Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2010, at his home in Fairhope, Ala. A Celebration of Life will be held at 3 this afternoon at All Saints Episcopal Church in Grenada, followed by burial at Woodlawn Cemetery. Visitation will precede the service from 1:30 to 3 at the church. An additional memorial service will be held at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Daphne, Ala., on Monday at 11 a.m. with visitation beginning at 10 before the service. Garner-Harper Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
(December 5, 2010)
The Education Committee of Lafayette County Master Gardeners, under the leadership of Chair Eileen Leonard, surveyed its membership and compiled a few of the member’s “favorite things.” To learn what your favorite gardener might want for Christmas, see Susan Boehm’s column on page 2B. (December 3, 2010, Page 2B)
Columnist Jack Lamar Mayfield talks about Oxford’s first community Christmas tree that was erected at the Memory House on University Avenue. (December 3, 2010, Page 2B)