The University of Mississippi Faculty Woodwind Quintet presents a free fall recital at 8 p.m. Tuesday in Nutt Auditorium. The program will feature two works based on Spanish and Latin American music, one that recalls the music of the Renaissance, titled “Sciarada Spagnuola” (which means “Spanish Scenes”), and the other a set of dances that includes a tango and a Venezuelan waltz. Two works by American composers, including one by Eric Ewazen, titled “Roaring Fork,” will also be performed. (November 5, 2010)
Della Davidson’s Square Books Junior Book Fair will be Sunday through Thursday. A special event will be held at Square Books Junior on Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. For Della Day, 20 percent of all purchases will go to Della Davidson Elementary School if you identify yourself as a Della Book Fair shopper. Family night at Della Book Fair will be Tuesday from 4 to 7:30 p.m. at the Della Davidson library. Free gift wrapping will be available at all events. Refreshments will also be provided. Regular fair hours at the school will be 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Thursday next week. (November 5, 2010)
- Daisy Condrey Lansdale — 89, died Wednesday, Nov. 3, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Eastover Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be prior to the service from noon until 2 at the funeral home.
Adele Ford-Bonica writes about the recent news that Oxford school officials worked with students to help them vote, noting that it’s a good idea but should have included less prompting from those involved and input from both sides if there was any information given. (November 4, 2010, Page 4)
- Bradford C. “Brad” Brooks — 45, of Water Valley died Monday, Nov. 1, 2010. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the First Baptist Church of Water Valley, with Dr. Randy Bain and Bro. Freddie Moorman officiating. Burial will follow at Sylva Rena Baptist Church Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 to 8 this evening at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley.
- Richard Bruce King — 51, died Monday, Nov. 1, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel, with Millard Gadd officiating. Burial will follow in the Garden of Memories located at Coleman Funeral Home. Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 this evening at the funeral home.
- Daisy Lansdale — of Oxford died this morning at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home of Oxford.
Lafayette and Water Valley split four games to open the middle school basketball season for both programs Tuesday in the WVHS gym. The seventh-grade Commodores defeated Water Valley 26-7, while the eighth-grade Blue Devils rallied to post a 15-13 win in the nightcap.
Lafayette’s seventh-grade girls lost 16-7 to the Lady Blue Devils, while Water Valley’s eighth-grade were defeated 12-10. (November 3, 2010, Page 6)
Taylor Durham’s eight touchdowns paced the 6-7 year-old Steelers in a 58-6 win over the Packers in Oxford Park Commission youth flag football action Monday night at FNC Park.
In the other 6-7 games, the Bears beat the Giants 26-14, the Jets throttled the Vikings 32-6, while the Jaguars beat the Cowboys 34-20.
In the 8-9 league, the Jets blanked the Steelers 7-0, the Ravens downed the Cowboys 34-6, the Packers topped the Giants 21-6 while the Chiefs beat the Saints. In the 10-12 league, the Steelers beat the Chiefs 32-6, while the Cowboys topped the Jets 19-12. (November 3, 2010, Page 7)
Local columnist T.J. Ray pens a general letter to candidates who’ve contacted him via various forms of communication during the campaign season, and tells them why it’s so important that their goal is to work for the good of the people. (November 3, 2010, Page 4)
Philip Loria writes to expand on the recent passage of the Oxford School District bond issue, citing state law and a possible violation of it, while Kevin Kempa writes to say that keeping American manufacturing competitive begins at home. (November 3, 2010, Page 4)
- Bradford C. “Brad” Brooks — of Water Valley died Monday. Arrangements are incomplete with Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley.
- Roosevelt Carrouthers Jr. — 48, formerly of Oxford, died Monday in Indianapolis. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Richard B. King — 51, died Monday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Gary Dan Pope — 55, died Monday, Nov. 1, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Union County. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Wednesday at Serenity Chapel in New Albany, with Bro. Jason Howell officiating. Burial will follow at Pisquagh Cemetery in Hickory Flat. Visitation is from 5 to 9 this evening at the church. Serenity Funeral Home of New Albany is in charge of the arrangements.
- Voncille Rosenauer — 86, died Saturday, Oct. 30, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Per the family’s request, there will be no services at this time. Memorials may be made to the charity of the donor’s choice.