The organizers of “Ruffing It at Ravine,” a day of art and music designed to benefit the Oxford-Lafayette Humane Society set for Sept. 26 on the grounds of the Ravine restaurant and B&B, have postponed the event. “Unfortunately, due to logistical considerations, this fundraiser for the Oxford-Lafayette County Humane Society has been postponed. The event will occur on a Saturday during May 2011 — even bigger and better than previously imagined,” according to an e-mail sent Aug. 31. “Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience. For more information, contact the Ravine: 662-234-4555; or the Oxford-Lafayette Humane Society: 662-236-7631.” (August 9, 2010)
A memorial service and monument dedication ceremony will be held for Pvt. Harmon M. Berry, 8th Miss. Cavalry, CSA, at Wyatt Chapel Cemetery at the intersection of county roads 122 and 223 in Yalobusha County at 3 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 29. All are invited to attend. (August 9, 2010)
Introduced to the United States in 1747, the crape myrle is a favorite in Southern gardens. Layfayette County Master Gardner Dianne Smith Ferguson describes how these tolerant trees survive drought, extreme weather, and excessive pruning. (August 6, 2010, Page 2B)
In 1955, then-Sen. John F. Kennedy wrote his Pulitzer Prize winning book, “Profiles in Courage,” while recovering from a spinal operation. He had long been interested in statesmen who had shown great political courage in the face of constituent pressures. One of the statesmen he wrote about was Oxford resident Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus Lamar. (August 6, 2010, Page 3B)
- Martha Helen Woodall Dickey — 90, died Monday, Aug. 2, 2010, in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 this afternoon in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow in Bethel Cemetery. Visitation will begin at 12:30 today at the funeral home.
- Hattie Mae Key — died Thursday at her residence in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- William Donald “Catfish” Vernon Sr. — 80, of Como died Tuesday, Aug. 3, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at Wells Funeral Home in Batesville. Burial will follow at Forest Hill Cemetery-Midtown in Memphis. Visitation will be 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday prior to the service at the funeral home.
Childhood passes quickly, especially through the eyes of parent and Oxford EAGLE columnist Leah Miller. (August 6, 2010, Page 1B)
Woodson-Ridge Homemaker Volunteers Club will meet at 1 p.m. Thursday at Fat Cat’s Catfish & Steaks on Old College Hill Road. Guests are welcome. For information, call 234-0214. (August 6, 2010)
Good Health columnist, Dr. Shaun Helmhout, discusses newly developed vaccines to protect your teen. (August 5, 2010, Page 14)
Oxford EAGLE columnist Angela Hensley interviews Mike Foster, an alumnus of Lafayette High School and now the district superintendent, is ready for yet another school year. (August 5, 2010, Page 3)
- Leslie Chapman — 38, died Friday, July 30, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Saturday at Eureka A.M.E. Zion Church in Batesville. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- WATER VALLEY — Martha Helen Woodall Dickey – 90, died Monday, Aug. 2, 2010, in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks in Water Valley, with Bro. David Ross officiating. Burial will follow in Bethel Cemetery. Visitation will begin at 12:30 p.m. Friday at the funeral home.
- Moses Phillips — 82, died July 31, 2010 at Graceland Care Center in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Philadelphia M.B. Church, with the Rev. Eric Wilson officiating. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Tommie Lee Redmond — 61, died Sunday, Aug. 1, 2010, in Chicago. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Tallahatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association building. Burial will follow in the Tobby Tubby Church Cemetery. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Netta Taylor — 70, died Wednesday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.