Lafayette Middle School and the LMS PTO wrote to thank all who took part in their “Pump Up the Presence” program this year. (June 4, 2010, Page 4A)
- Robin D. Williams — 48, died Wednesday in Memphis. Visitation will be 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday at Tutor Memorial Funeral Home of Oxford. Other arrangements are incomplete with the funeral home.
Local physician Dr. Keith Mansel writes about an issue that affects many in Lafayette County – metabolic syndrome. He discusses the problem of abdominal obesity, its characteristics, its potential dangers and treatment. (June 3, 2010, Page 12)
Local columnist T.J. Ray wonders about some of our laws and the enforcement of laws after hearing rumors of legalizing marijuana use in Mississippi and then seeing that many current marijuana offenders are getting off easy in court. (June 3, 2010, Page 4)
- George A. Brandt Jr. — 81, died Sunday, May 30, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Friday at the Waldheim Methodist Church in Waldheim, La. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday at the church. E.J. Fielding Funeral Home of Covington, La., is in charge of Louisiana arrangements and Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford was in charge of local arrangements.
Local restaurant owner John M. Currence writes, in a guest column, that there are two distinct sides appearing unable to give much ground in the debate over allowing the sale of alcohol in Oxford on Sundays, and he suggests that the best way to reach a compromise might be for both sides to take a look at other communities that allow Sunday sales. (June 2, 2010, Page 4)
A celebration in memory of Robert Parker will feature music by the Fishers of Men gospel group, a cake walk and raffle, with lots of stuff to be given away. There will be food provided and T-shirts for sale. The event will be held at Friends Park in Tula. (June 1, 2010)
Old Union Baptist Church will host its Homecoming event Sunday, June 13. The service begins at 11 a.m., followed by a potluck lunch at noon. Singing will take place from 1-3 p.m. Everyone is invited. A love offering will be taken for the Old Union Cementary Fund. The church is located on County Road 444, about 4 miles from Tula. (June 1, 2010)
Local columnist Jimmy Reed gives readers the same list of items that appeared in church bulletins to help his college students see how important it is to use proper grammar, punctuation and spelling. (June 1, 2010, Page 4A)
- Jimmy L. Arrington — 68, died Friday, May 28, 2010. Services were held at 2 p.m. Sunday in the Chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial followed in College Hill Presbyterian Church Cemetery.
- Harvey Orval Haggard — 82, died Thursday, May 27, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at the First Presbyterian Church of Holly Springs. Inurnment will be in the columbarium at First Presbyterian Church. Visitation will be held one hour prior to the service at the church. Coleman Funeral Home was in charge of local arrangements.
- Mary “Gertrude” Jackson James — 85, died Sunday, May 30, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday at New Prospect Baptist Church. Visitation will be from 4 until 7 this evening at Waller Funeral Home and on Wednesday from noon until the service time at the church.
- David Wimberly — 41, died Saturday, May 29, 2010. Services were held Monday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford. Burial followed in the Abbeville Cemetery in Abbeville.