The Lafayette County Republican Women will meet for lunch at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Downtown Grill. The speaker will be Tom Levitiodus, candidate for Circuit Court Judge, Pos. 1, District 3. (June 6, 2010)
The annual luncheon meeting of the Piecemakers’ Guild will be held at noon Saturday in the Fellowship Hall at First Presbyterian Church in Oxford. The meeting will feature salads and sweets made by the members. All needleworkers are invited to come to lunch and join the guild in show and tell of their most recent projects. (June 5, 2010)
Members of the community recently started a program in Oxford called “More Than a Meal.” This is a community meal served to those in need within the Oxford area. In addition to a meal, tutoring is available to help kids with their homework or read to the children. Books, hygiene products and, most importantly, fellowship are provided to those in need. While the program is currently up and running in various churches in Oxford, organizers are working to streamline the service on Sept. 7 to provide these services from 5 to 7 p.m. every Tuesday at the Stone Center. Those interested in being involved in this program are urged to attend an informational meeting at 6:30 p.m. June 22 at the Stone Center. (June 5, 2010)
Meets at noon Wednesday at Fat Cat’s Catfish & Steaks. Mary Sloan will give the club an update the Yocona International Folk Vestival activities. For more information, call John Arrechea at 234-9299. (June 5, 2010)
The 10th season of the Lafayette-Oxford-University Summer Sunset Series kicks off June 6 with the Mississippians Jazz Combo in the Grove at the University of Mississippi. The series, produced by the L-O-U Cultural Events Committee, includes four live concerts in the Grove, each set for 7 p.m. Sundays in June. The programs are free and open to the public. Families are encouraged to bring chairs, food and drinks. In case of rain, concerts will be moved to Fulton Chapel. The Mississippians Jazz Combo is a septet composed of student members of the university’s premier jazz ensemble, including Jonathan Whitmire, Charlie Young, Will Lowery, Joseph Habib, Tyler Kuntz and faculty members Michael Worthy and David Carlisle. The group will perform jazz standards and original compositions in a variety of styles.
(June 5, 2010)
Meets at noon Tuesday at the Oxford University Club. The club’s committees will be organized and meet to plan community service projects, events and Rotary international activities for the coming Rotary year. Members are strongly encouraged to attend. (June 5, 2010)
Meets at noon Tuesday at Fat Cat’s Catfish & Steaks on Old College Hill Road. Guest speaker will be Dave Rozier, of the Rozier Hayes Law Firm in Oxford. For more information or to apply for membership, call Ron Kitchens at 915-5038, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or see http://lionwap.org/oxfordms. (June 5, 2010)
Sarah Rebecca “Becky” Delp VanArsdall, 85, died Friday, June 4, 2010, at her residence in Oxford. A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Monday at Oxford-University United Methodist Church. Visitation will be in Wesley Hall from 12:30 until 2 p.m. The private family interment will follow Tuesday at Henry Cemetery in Corinth. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of local arrangements. (June 5, 2010)
Gen. Ulysses S. Grant was making his first of three attempts to capture Vicksburg. This attempt would be over land from Tennessee after the Battle of Shiloh. He was following the railroad line that ran from Jackson, Tenn., to Holly Springs and then connected at Grenada with a line that ran from Memphis to Jackson. (June 4, 2010, Page 3B)
- Paul Easton Bruening — 48, died Monday, May 24, 2010. A memorial services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Oxford. Waller Funeral Home of Oxford was in charge of arrangements.
- Ada Celeste Colley — 89, died Wednesday, June 2, 2010. A graveside service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday in Oak Hill Cemetery. A visitation will be held at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley one hour prior to the service.
- James C. “J.C.” Dickey — 86, died Wednesday, June 2, 2010. Services were held this morning at Wells Funeral Home Batesville,. Burial followed in Magnolia Cemetery in Batesville.
- Beatrice Baker Faust — 97, of Florence, Ala., died Tuesday, June 1, 2010. A graveside service will be held at 2:30 this afternoon at North Oxford Baptist Church Cemetery in Oxford. Visitation was held earlier today at Morrison Funeral Home in Tuscumbia, Ala.
- Robin Dean Williams — 48, died Monday, May 31, 2010. Services will be held at 2 this afternoon at Tutor Memorial Funeral Home’s Oxford Chapel, with Gary Frye officiating. Burial will follow in Paris Cemetery. Visitation will be held today until the service at the funeral home.