A dual-artists reception will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday at the Powerhouse Community Arts Center. The reception will honor local artist Liz Rathbone’s “Heart & Soul” show and the Powerhouse’s current exhibit highlighting Andi Bedsworth, Nole Harris, and Gene Gathright’s interpretation of Oxford architecture. This is a one night only showing for Rathbone’s “Heart & Soul.” (August 16, 2010)
The Council on Aging is an informal group that meets monthly to provide a network of communication exchange for those who work with and on behalf of our older citizens. The group will meet at 9 a.m. Thursday at Azalea Gardens Senior Care Community for coffee and an information exchange. All service agency providers and interested volunteers throughout the area are encouraged to attend this networking meeting. For more information, contact Jo Ann O’Quin with the University of Mississippi Department of Social Work at firstname.lastname@example.org or the United Way at 236-4265. (August 16, 2010)
- Ina Mae Bibbs – 82, died Friday, Aug. 13, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the Tallahatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Burial will follow in the Beverly U.M. Church Cemetery. Visitation will be from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Beverly U.M. Church. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Dale McCurdy Childress – 89, died Thursday, Aug. 12, 2010, at the Yalobusha General Hospital in Water Valley. Services were held this morning in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial followed in Oak Hill Cemetery in Water Valley.
- Robert Landon Davis – 73, died Friday, Aug. 13, 2010. Services were held Saturday at Holly Springs Funeral Home. Burial followed at the Hillcrest Cemetery in Holly Springs.
Bernie and Peggy Smith write to urge members of the community to come to Tuesday’s Board of Aldermen meeting to show support for overturning a decision by the Oxford Historic Preservation Commission about two houses that St. John’s owns and wants to donate to charity. (August 16, 2010, Page 4)
First National Bank of Oxford will host a blood drive from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday at the bank’s main office on the Square. The bank hopes to collect 100 pints of blood. (August 16, 2010)
Burns United Methodist Church will offer a free meal for the homeless and anyone else who needs a meal on Thursday. The meal will be served at the church, 600 Molly Bar Road, from 5 to 7 p.m. The meal will include spaghetti, salad, rolls and drink. (August 16, 2010)
Will meet for breakfast from 7:30 – 8:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Ole Miss Catering banquet suite located at 123 Heritage Drive. Featured speaker will be Jeremy Martin, North Mississippi service coordinator for the Secretary of State’s Office. Guests are invited to attend. For more information, e-mail email@example.com or call Scott Thompson at 816-9898 or visit www.oxford-olemissrotary.com. (August 16, 2010)
A bake sale fundraiser for the Northwest Side Civic Club (Harmontown Community Center) will be held Saturday Sept. 4, starting at 9 a.m. at the Walmart in Oxford. (August 16, 2010)
- Tony Donail Riley — 43, died Wednesday, Aug. 11, 2010. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Sunday at the Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow at Oak Ridge Cemetery in Water Valley.
- Taylor Nicole Willard — 16, died Wednesday, Aug. 11, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at Sardis Church of Christ. Burial will follow in Forest Memorial Park. Visitation will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. Saturday at the Dickins Funeral Home in Batesville.
Cub Scout Pack 146 hosts its fall registration night from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Monday at North Oxford Baptist Church. Boys in grades 1-5 are invited to come sign up to experience the adventure of Scouting, a program that builds character and instills values. The fall schedule includes camping, swimming, a service project and lots of fun! Returning Scouts who bring a friend to sign up get a cool recruiter patch. For more information, call Jeff Edge at 816-9988. (August 13, 2010)