PFLAG of Oxford North Mississippi, an organization that works to support, educate and advocate for gays and lesbians, bisexuals and transgender and their families, will host movie night at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Writing Center on the third floor of the main library at the University of Mississippi. The movie will be “Kinky Boots.” For more information, call Gail Stratton at 801-2820. (July 14, 2010)
The Lafayette County Republican Club will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday in courtroom No. 1 of the Lafayette County Chancery Building on North Lamar Boulevard. Guest speaker will be Mississippi State Treasurer Tate Reeves. For more information, contact Republican Club President Mack Bowles at 662-816-2400 or Joe Nissen at 662-232-8937 or email@example.com). (July 14, 2010)
The Council on Aging, an informal group providing a network of communication exchange for those who work with and on behalf of our older citizens, will meet at 9 a.m. Thursday at Azalea Gardens Senior Care Community for coffee and an information exchange. Agenda items include updates on Alzheimer’s Day Services, upcoming conferences, and area Agency on Aging services. All service agency providers and interested volunteers throughout the area are encouraged to attend. For more information, contact Jo Ann O’Quin, with the UM Department of Social Work, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or the United Way at 236-4265. (July 14, 2010)
Thomas S. Howorth of Howorth & Associates Architects wrote to correct and clarify recent statements made about work on the Lafayette County courthouse clock and approval for payment. (July 14, 2010, Page 4)
- Steven Allen Cox — 47, of Coffeeville died at his home on Sunday, July 11, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will take place in Drew Cemetery in Drew. Visitation will be held one hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
- William Anderson selected for leader conference
- D’Marius Tyshun Deberry selected for engineering camp
- Parents are invited to review the special education budget for Oxford School District
- Lafayette School District to host bullying meeting
- GED testing is available at NWCC
Are you bothered a bit by some of the earmarks that senators and representatives are involved with? Why don’t you contact them and let them know what you think? That’s not necessarily as easy as it sounds – or should be – as local columnist T.J. Ray explains. (July 13, 2010, Page 4A)
Local columnist Jimmy Reed hears lots from family and friends about his reluctance to join the 21st century, but relates a joke he heard recently that shows that not all who are “older” are as challenged as some think he is. (July 13, 2010, Page 4A)
- Kathryn Savage Lamar — 91, died Thursday, July 8, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services were held Sunday at Lambert United Methodist Church in Lambert. Burial followed in Lambert Cemetery. Wells Funeral Home in Batesville was in charge of arrangements.
- Ruth Collins Walker — 88, died Wednesday, July 8, 2010, at the Yalobusha County Nursing Home in Water Valley. Services were held Sunday at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial followed at Walker Cemetery in Yalobusha County.
- Kathryn Savage Lamar — 91, died Thursday, July 8, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 4 p.m. Sunday at Lambert United Methodist Church in Lambert. Burial will follow in Lambert Cemetery. Visitation will be 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday at Wells Funeral Home in Batesville.
- Ruth Collins Walker — 88, died Wednesday, July 8, 2010, at the Yalobusha County Nursing Home in Water Valley. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow at Walker Cemetery in Yalobusha County. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
(July 10, 2010)