The members of the Tallahatchie Toastmasters will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday at Cedar Oaks Heritage House, 601 Murray Street. Anyone interested is invited to learn public speaking and leadership skills. Visit the website for more information at http://tallahatchie.freetoasthost.biz or call 234-9318. (August 30, 2010)
The American Red Cross will offer an Adult, Child, and Infant CPR community class from 5:30 to 9 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 20. The cost of the class is $35. All classes are held at the Red Cross Office at 106 Skyline Drive. Interested participants should contact the Red Cross office at 236-1282 to register. Pre-registration is required for the class. (August 30, 2010)
The members of the Newcomers of Oxford will gather for their annual Fall Kickoff Party at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 21 at Greystone Farm. However, annual dues as well as fees for the catered meal must be paid by Sept. 13. In addition to the food, there will be music, skits, plus introductions of officers and committee chairs. New residents to the Oxford area are welcome to join. Visit or call the Oxford-Lafayette County Chamber of Commerce for information and forms for membership and the big fall party. (August 30, 2010)
Jim Morrison, director of Campus Sustainability at the University of Mississippi, kicks off this series for the fall with “Service and Sustainability in the Lafayette County/Oxford/University Community” to share ideas on how sustainability involves respecting and helping people as much as it does the environment. The Green Bag Lunch is co-sponsored by the Center for the Study of Southern Culture and the Office of Campus Sustainability. The lecture will be held at noon Wednesday in the Barnard Observatory lecture hall. (August 30, 2010)
- Mattie Lou Woods Ivy Bruce — 103, died Friday, Aug. 27, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday at Union Hill MB Church. Burial will follow in Union Hill Cemetery. Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Second Missionary Baptist Church on Jackson Avenue in Oxford. Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc is in charge of the arrangements.
- Thomas Ramage Ethridge — 92, died Sunday, Aug. 29, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday at First Presbyterian Church. Visitation will be Tuesday from 5 until 7 p.m. in the fellowship hall of First Presbyterian Church and again, preceding the service, from 10 until 10:45 a.m. in the fellowship hall. A private family graveside service will be held following the service at Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Helen Grace Garavelli — 86, of Southaven died Thursday, Aug. 26, 2010. Services will be held at 2:30 this afternoon at Memorial Park Funeral Home in Memphis. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Pricilla Romanda Gladney — 38, of Oxford died Sunday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Kimberly Karol Herrin — 43, died Saturday at Sumner Regional Hospital in Gallatin, Tenn. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Lila Marie McGregor — 89, died Friday, Aug. 27, 2010. Services were held Sunday at Tutor Memorial Funeral Home in Pontotoc. Burial followed in Carey Springs Cemetery.
- Amanda McCain Pipkin — 38, died Thursday, Aug. 26, 2010. Services were held Saturday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley. Burial followed at Goshen Cemetery in Coffeeville.
- Elizabeth Louise “Betty” Wilkinson — 86, died Friday, Aug. 27, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the College Hill Presbyterian Church in Oxford. Visitation will be held an hour prior to the service at the church. Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of local arrangements.
- James Henry Wolfe — 74, died on Friday, Aug. 27, 2010. Services were held at noon today in the Henry Chapel of the Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial followed at Ford’s Well Cemetery in Yalobusha County.
The Ole Miss football team kicked off the first game week of the season by announcing its 2010 team captains Sunday night in a team meeting at the Overby Center on campus.
The captains, which were voted on by the players last weekend, include WR Lionel Breaux (New Orleans, La.), S Johnny Brown (Charleston), LB Jonathan Cornell (Azusa, Calif.), DE Kentrell Lockett (Hahnville, La.) and DT Jerrell Powe (Waynesboro). (more…) (August 30, 2010, Page 3B)
Callaway offensive lineman Justin Bell gave his verbal commitment to Ole Miss over the weekend, joining teammate Aaron Morris as the Rebels’ 19th commitment for the 2011 signing class.
Bell, 6-foot-3, 320-pounds, is rated a three-star offensive lineman by Rivals.com and chose the Rebels over Mississippi State. (August 30, 2010, Page 3B)
- Helen Grace Garavelli — 86, died Thursday, Aug. 26, 2010. Services will be held at 2:30 p.m. Monday at Memorial Park Funeral Home in Memphis. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
- James Henry Wolfe — 74, died on Friday, Aug. 27, 2010, at his home in Southaven. Services will be held at noon Monday in the Henry Chapel of the Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley, with Pastor Chuck Neugebauer and Chaplain Richard Holt officiating. Burial will follow at Ford’s Well Cemetery in Yalobusha County. The visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
(August 29, 2010)
The members of the Kountry Krafters Homemakers Club will meet at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at Chow Time restaurant on West Jackson Avenue. Guests are welcome. For more information, call Gerda at 234-9983. (August 29, 2010)
Bramlett Elementary School will conclude its annual Fall Book Fair in the BES library today. Great books are available for sale to the public and attendees can also honor a Bramlett teacher by purchasing a book from their wish list for their classroom.
The book fair will be held Friday from 7:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. Parents and caregivers of toddlers, school-aged children, home schoolers and friends are encouraged to purchase books. For more information, call Connie Robinson at 234-2685. (August 29, 2010)