Neither the Volleys nor the Spinners could get one-up the other during last Thursday’s Oxford Park Commission’s junior team tennis action, tying 2-2. Anne Hardy earned the lone singles match point for Spinners. Ryan Mounce and Jonathan Masters earned the No. 1 doubles point, while John Tate Roberts and Avery Atkinson earned the No. 3 doubles point for the Volleys. Barrett Childress and Sadie Wilson combined to earn the Spinners’ lone doubles point. (more…) (October 11, 2010, Page 5B)
The Lafayette Commodores steamed through the Warriors of Senatobia 54-7 Friday night as the Commodore ground game accounting for 264 yards and six touchdowns. (more…) (October 9, 2010)
- Dr. Ephraim Edward “Ed” Davidson — 87, died Monday, Oct. 4, 2010. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the First Baptist Church in Stillwater. Burial will follow at Sunset Memorial Gardens. Strode Funeral Home in Stillwater is in charge of arrangements.
- Henry Louis Graham — 87, died Monday, Oct. 4, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at Union Prospect MB Church in New Albany. Burial will follow in Union Prospect Cemetery. Visitation will be held from noon to 4:30 this afternoon at the Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc and from 6-8 this evening at the church.
- Evelyn Noel — 71, died Tuesday, Oct. 5, 2010. Services will be held at a later date in St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Serenity-Martin Funeral Home is in charge of local arrangements and V.H. Funeral Home in St. Thomas is in charge of all other arrangements.
While mascot voting is underway, THE EAGLE was curious what you think about the overall mascot issue. We have a two-question survey that will take about 15 seconds to complete. Let us know what you think by clicking on the survey below:
Click here to take survey (October 8, 2010)
I was always fascinated by the idea that families would gather all of their worldly belongings into one wagon, brave the elements of the unforgiving west, and race to stake their claim to something they hadn’t even seen before. I remember trying to imagine what that must feel like. I would imagine the fear of not knowing what lay ahead and the anxiousness over this potentially dangerous, one way trip.
Then I found the “Grove” at Ole Miss and didn’t have to imagine anymore! (October 8, 2010, Page 1B)
“Oxford in the Civil War: Battle for a Vanquished Land” by Stephen Enzweiler is the new book just published by The History Press of Charleston, S.C. The author is a journalist and senior editor for “Y’all” magazine published here in Oxford and he writes extensively about Mississippi and the South.
I really didn’t find out anything that I didn’t already know, but the way the author has presented the data makes for pleasurable reading. I have read these stories over the years in various different places, but Enzweiler presents them in manner that follows Oxford from its earliest day through the war years. (October 8, 2010, Page 2B)
- Debra “Debbie” Gail Potts Hamblin — 56, died Tuesday, Oct. 5, 2010. Graveside services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at Forrest Memorial Park. Wells Funeral Home in Batesville is in charge of arrangements.
- Oscar Gordon Jr. — 63, died Sunday, Oct. 3 2010. Funeral services will be held Friday at 1 p.m. at Jeffrie Chapel MB Church in Abbeville. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be from 2 to 6 this evening at the J. F. Brittenum & Son Funeral Home in Holly Springs and for one hour prior to the service at the church.
- Jakalia MaKenzie Thomas — the infant daughter of LaTia Johnson and Damien Thomas of Tuscaloosa, Ala., died Monday, Oct. 4, 2010. Private funeral services will be held at Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford. Burial will follow in Springfield Cemetery in Abbeville.
The Detroit Pistons were hit hard by injuries in their first preseason game.
Detroit forward Jonas Jerebko tore his right Achilles’ tendon and guard Terrico White broke his right foot in Tuesday’s night exhibition in Miami. Both will have surgery Friday. (more…) (October 7, 2010, Page 7)
Sherry Wall writes to commend students at Lafayette High School for their actions in electing Amber Lawrence as their 2010 Homecoming queen, and to tell parents of LHS students they should be proud of their children. (October 7, 2010, Page 4)
- Billy Dan “Beau” Kilgore — 63, died Sunday, Oct. 3, 2010. Services will be held at the Coffeeville Church of Christ at 9:30 a.m. Thursday. Burial will follow at the West Tennessee Veterans Cemetery in Memphis. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 this evening at the Church of Christ in Coffeeville. Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley is in charge of arrangements.
- Frances Hillman Mitchell — 92, died Tuesday, Oct. 5, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Oxford. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be held the same day in the Parrish Hall of St. Peter’s from noon until 1. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Evelyn Noel — 71, of Oxford died Tuesday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi of Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home.