Local physician Dr. Keith Mansel explains some of the process of gathering information from patients during office visits and other meetings between doctors and patients to show how important that part of the visit is in helping come up with the proper treatment. (May 20, 2010, Page 12)
Local columnist T.J. Ray had a clerk examine a $20 bill he was using recently, and that made him wonder about efforts to thwart counterfeiters. Ray takes a closer look at money matters. (May 20, 2010, Page 4)
- Inez Buford Morgan — 73, died Sunday, May 16, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday in Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow in Oak Ridge Cemetery in Water Valley. Visitation will be held Friday from 5 to 7 p.m. at the funeral home.
- Carlye Alexis Pritchard — infant daughter of Chris Pritchard and Haley Wood of Oxford, died Tuesday, May 18, 2010. Graveside services will be held at 1 this afternoon at McIvor Baptist Church Cemetery, with the Rev. Gary Stevens officiating. Burial will follow at the cemetery. Wells Funeral Home of Batesville is in charge of arrangements.
- Harold Grey Williams Jr. — 46, of Water Valley died Monday, May 17, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Oak Hill Cemetery in Water Valley. Visitation will be from 5 until 7 this evening at the funeral home.
Darlene Easson writes to tell a story about campaign signs that she’s witnessed in the community, while Joan Lunsford wrote to encourage parents and students to talk about how to handle the dangers of drinking and driving during prom and graduation season. (May 19, 2010, Page 4)
The Oxford Rebels, the traveling 9-year-old baseball team, recently won the Mississippi Select Baseball Tournament in Tupelo.
Former Lafayette High standout D.J. LeGrand won the Most Improved Award this season from Holmes Community College for his standout season on the men’s basketball team. LeGrand helped the Bulldogs make the MACJC state tournament this season. (May 19, 2010, Page 7)
A five-run fourth inning helped lift Zaxby’s to come-from-behind 8-5 victory over Taco Bell on the first night of action in the 11-12 year-old league. In the 9-10 league, Shiloh Creek doubled up the Dolphins 12-6. (May 19, 2010, Page 7)
- Zella Mae Jones — 77, died Thursday, May 13, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday at East St. Peter MB Church. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held one hour prior to service at the church.Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc is in charge of the arrangements.
- James Alan Martin Pollock — 39, of Olive Branch, formerly of Oxford, died Monday, May 17, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Brantley Funeral Home in Olive Branch. Visitation will be held an hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
- J.C. “Shorty” Smith — 93, died Sunday, May 16, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday in the Chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow at Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 4 until 7 this evening.
Local photographer Milly Moorhead West takes a look at what could be slipping away with the current disaster off the Louisiana and Mississippi coasts in a guest column, and wonders when we will all realize that we’re all guilty in some form or fashion and we all can also be a part of the solution. (May 18, 2010, Page 4)
Local columnist Jimmy Reed takes a look back at his days in education, nothing differences and similarities with community college students through the years. One thing he’s noticed – most students are still intent on earning their grades and disproving the claim that education is America’s Achilleges’ heel. (May 18, 2010, Page 4)