Guest columnist and O-U United Methodist Church pastor Warren Black got a special welcome back to the United States when he saw signs of how wonderful our country is when going through customs during a summer sabbatical. (July 1, 2010, Page 4A)
- James Willingham — 88, died Monday, June 28, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Pleasant Green M.B. Church in Oxford. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held one hour prior to the service at the church. Eddie Robinson Funeral Directors of Grenada is in charge of arrangements.
- Emma Gene Wright — 65, died Saturday, June 19, 2010. Services were held this past Friday at St. John’s United Baptist Church in Milwaukee. Burial followed in Graceland Cemetery in Milwaukee. Serenity Funeral Home in Milwaukee was in charge of arrangements.
Jeff Justis writes to say that all Americans are still Americans regardless of their viewpoint, and points out that rhetoric in commentary and conversation can incite passions that put our country at risk. (June 30, 2010, Page 4)
- Elizabeth Wayne “Bettie” Wilson Ash — 69, died Sunday, June 27, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at the Bethlehem Church of the Lord Jesus Christ in Potts Camp. Burial will follow in the Bethlehem Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 to 8:30 this evening at the Bethlehem Church of the Lord Jesus Christ. Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- John Hugh Bailey — 81, died Friday, June 25, 2010. A memorial service will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at Collierville First Assembly of God Church in Collierville, Tenn. Waller Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Hazel Hewlett — 83, died Monday, June 28, 2010. Services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home of Oxford. Burial will follow in Clear Creek Cemetery. Visitation will from 5:30 until 7 p.m. Wednesday at the funeral home.
- Loreen S. Tidwell — 41, died Monday, June 28, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home of Oxford. Burial will follow in Pine Flat Cemetery. Visitation will be from 4 to 7 this evening at the funeral home.
In the lone 11-12 year-old Oxford Park Commission baseball game on Monday, the Hunters’ Hollow, Inc. Brewers scored three runs in the top of the fourth to defeat the Oxford Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Rays 7-5. (June 29, 2010, Page 9)
The Oxford Rays 13-and-under traveling baseball team concluded its season recently with a third place finish at the June Jam USSSA NIT Tournament held at Southaven.
In the tournament, the Rays (16-11-2 overall) went 3-1 in the 14-team tournament and were eliminated in the semifinals.
The Rays claimed the first three games, defeating the Strike Zone Stixx 6-3, St. Louis Hawks 9-4 and DeSoto Cardinals 3-2, before falling to the Tupelo Rangers 6-1. (June 29, 2010, Page 9)
The Oxford Fury, a girls select soccer team, will be holding tryouts July 13 from 6:30-8 p.m. and again on July 20 from 6:30-8 p.m. at FNC Park’s soccer fields. Registration is at 6 p.m. Players should take a size four ball, water, cleats, shin guards and soccer socks.
Players must be 12-years-old or younger prior to July 21, 2010. Players also must register with the Oxford Park Commission’s Under-12 girls league.
For additional information, email OxfordFury99@gmail.com. (June 29, 2010, Page 9)
With Independence Day in mind, local columnist Jimmy Reed writes that America has strengthened and prospered through the years because of what he calls “Americanism,” and he says it’s that same approach that must be present for the U.S. to continue on that path. (June 29, 2010, Page 4)
The new Yoknapatawpha Arts Council Film Fund is looking to find ways to help up and coming filmmakers in the area find support and funding. The new fund was announced on Friday at the fundraising party for the independent film, “Where I Begin,” which will be directed by Thomas L. Phillips and co-produced and co-written by The EAGLE’s own Melanie Addington. (June 28, 2010, Page 3)
- Bettie Wilson Ash — died Sunday at Baptist Hospital East in Memphis. Arrangements are incomplete with Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Kenneth M. Binkley — died at his home Thursday, June 24, 2010. A private memorial service will be held at a later date. Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Lovie Ann Eubanks — 69, died Sunday, June 20, 2010, at the Union County Baptist Memorial Hospital. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Tuesday at East Baptist Church in Pontotoc, with Pastor Artie Webber officiating. Burial will follow in the Pontotoc City Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 2 to 6 this evening at the Serenity Funeral Home Chapel in Pontotoc. Family fellowship will be held in the church fellowship hall immediately following the burial.
- James Solon “Jim” Oakley — 89, of Water Valley died at his home on Saturday, June 26, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley, with Bro. Barry Dickerson officiating. Burial will take place in Oak Hill Cemetery in Water Valley.
- Loreen S. Tidwell — 41, died this morning at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home.