Franklin L. Foster writes to tell of his party’s experience as visiting fans from Kentucky for the recent Ole Miss-Kentucky football game. Foster praised the community for its friendliness and cleanliness. (October 14, 2010, Page 4)
Taylor Durham scored six touchdowns to help lead the 6-7 year-old Steelers to a 38-36 win in Oxford Park Commission youth flag football action Tuesday at FNC Park.
In other 6-7 games, the Bears topped the Jets 26-8, the Chiefs nipped the Cowboys 13-12, while the Jags beat the Packers 21-6.
In the 8-9 league, the Steelers beat the Saints 42-19, the Ravens beat the Chiefs 19-13, the Packers edged out the Bears 18-14, while the Raiders blanked Giants 12-0.
In two 10-12 games, the Steelers blanked the Chiefs 25-0, while the Bears shut out the Giants 20-0. (October 14, 2010, Page 7)
- Trudy Juanita Holder Erwin — 62, of Cleveland died Monday, Oct. 11, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at Ray Funeral Home in Cleveland. Burial will follow at Shelby Cemetery in Shelby. Visitation will be 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home.
- Norris Thompson — formerly of Oxford, died Sunday at his residence in Jackson. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Honnoll Collins Windham — 89, died Tuesday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home.
The local school system, from nursery school through law school, has been good for many local residents and their families, Andy Phillips writes in a guest column supporting passage of the referendum to raise funds to build a new high school. Phillips points to the quality of education and its draw on outsiders, and says it’s time to support a move to continue that high level available to local residents. (October 13, 2010, Page 4)
- Melvin Locke — 72, died Monday, Oct. 11, 2010. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday in the Waller Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in Clear Creek Cemetery. Visitation will be Wednesday from 5 to 7 p.m. at the funeral home.
Taylor Durham scored four touchdowns for the 6-7 year-old Steelers on the opening night of Oxford Park Commission youth football action, but it came in a 32-26 loss to the Bears.
In the other 6-7 games, the Jets pounded the Chiefs 27-6, the Packers defeated the Vikings 28-6, while the Giants topped the Cowboys 28-12. In the 8-9 league, the Giants beat the Cowboys 13-6, while the Raiders blanked the Saints 31-0. In two 10-12 games, the Cowboys edged the Giants 13-12, while the Bears topped the Jets 33-15. (October 12, 2010, Page 9)
The 2nd annual Lafayette Baseball Golf Tournament will be held Saturday at the Ole Miss Golf Course. Registration will begin at 7 a.m. and run through the start time at 8 a.m. Cost is $60 per person to enter the four-man scramble.
Lunch will be provided and there will be prizes for golfers who finish first and second as well as a prize awarded for the longest drive. For more information, contact Greg Lewis at 601-347-1054 or 232-2757, Michele Mize at 662-816-1528 or email@example.com or Perry Arrington at 662-816-0874. (October 12, 2010, Page 9)
Sometimes there’s a fear of doctors, no matter how much good they might do you. Local columnist Jimmy Reed takes that fear head-on as he relates recent relationships with a gastroenterologist, a cardiologist and a surgeon. (October 12, 2010, Page 4)
Joel Miller and Sue Cook both write in response to Dr. Will Dabbs’ guest column about the culture of alcohol locally. Miller says the problem needs to be addressed at its core, while Cook says that Dabbs’ commentary is right on target. (October 12, 2010, Page 4)
- Malinda Brister — 77, of Oxford died Saturday in Memphis. Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Amanda Louise Gardner — 86, died Saturday, Oct. 9, 2010. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Tuesday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in the Veterans Garden of the Garden of Memories located at the funeral home. Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 this evening at the funeral home.
- Robert Pratcher — 80, died Tuesday, Oct. 5, 2010. Services were held Sunday at Mt. Moriah C.M.E. Church in Como. Burial followed in the church cemetery. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford was in charge of arrangements.
- Marshall Williams — 51, died Sunday at Graceland Care Center in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford.