M.E. King writes to give a bit more information about a recent incident connected with the Ole Miss-Mississippi State football game and to call for the Southeastern Conference to ban cowbells once and for all. (December 13, 2010, Page 4A)
- Mollie Fairley — died at the Westerchester Nursing Home in Bronx, N.Y. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- John Philip Hester — 37, died Saturday, Dec. 11, 2010, at his home in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday at the Oxford Conference Center. Burial will follow in the Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be held Monday from 4 to 8 p.m. at Coleman Funeral Home.
- W.C. Hill — 71, died Saturday at the Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Cora Liggins — 67, died Saturday at her cousin’s residence in Abbeville. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Andrew Mayes — 58, died Thursday in Davenport, Iowa. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Joseph Edwin Nissen — 67, died Friday, Dec. 10, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10 a.m. Tuesday at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church. Burial will follow in Springdale Cemetery. Visitation will be Monday from 5:30 until 6:30 p.m. at the church. A Rosary Service will follow at 6:30. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
(December 12, 2010)
Local columnist Ryan Miller remembers days of playing Indiana Jones and using imagination and sticks to create fun before the big technology boom.
Walk down memory lane with him in today’s Oxford EAGLE. (December 10, 2010, Page 1B)
Historian Jack Lamar Mayfield writes this week about the invasion of Oxford by Union forces just before Christmas in 1862. (December 10, 2010, Page 2B)
No obituaries were submitted for publication in today’s edition of The EAGLE. (December 10, 2010, Page 2A)
Led by James Miller’s 24 points, the 13-15 Lakers were able to defeat the Grizzlies 38-26 Thursday night in Oxford Park Commission youth basketball action. In the other 13-15 game, the Celtics pounded the Heat 44-26. In the lone 9-10 game, the Grizzlies edged out the Heat 18-15. In the 11-12 league, the Grizzlies beat the Celtics 26-21, the Bulls edged the Heat 28-25, while the Lakers edged out the Thunder 34-31. (December 10, 2010, Page 7A)
Scott Owens writes to take issue with one alderman’s reason – keeping “the Sabbath Day holy” – for opposing Sunday sales of alcohol in Oxford. (December 10, 2010, Page 4A)
- Julius Adams Johnson — 88, died Wednesday, Dec. 8, 2010, at the State Veterans Home in Oxford. A memorial service, following cremation, is planned for Dec. 18 at 1 p.m. at St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in El Dorado, Ark. His ashes will be interred in the columbarium at the church. A reception will follow in the Cloister. Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford was in charge of local arrangements.