The Ole Miss men’s hoops squad will look to get back on track Friday, hosting Big Ten opponent Penn State at 6 p.m.
The Nittany Lions (4-0 overall) enter Friday’s matchup at the C.M. “Tad” Smith Coliseum fresh off of a 77-61 win over Central Connecticut State on Monday.
Leading Penn State offensively is senior forward Jeff Brooks and senior point guard Talor Battle. Brooks is averaging a team-high 17.0 points per game. (November 25, 2010, Page 8A)
What’s the typical Thanksgiving Day gathering like today? The “traditiional” happily married couple with children or the becoming-more-common non-traditional family with single parents? Local columnist Deidra Jackson takes a look at the reality of today and points out that the non-traditional is also the norm this holiday season. (November 25, 2010, Page 4A)
Oxford historian Jack Mayfield takes us back to the beginnings of the Egg Bowl in 1901 when the two teams finally came together for the in-state rivalry that continues today. (November 25, 2010, Page 2B)
Oxford Generations columnist Joanne Wilkinson recounts her first experiences in the Grove where she found pleasant surprises. (November 25, 2010, Page 1B)
- Clay Allen McCammon — 47, died Tuesday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley.
- Allie Orange — 70, died Tuesday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home.
- May Jean Zehnder — 82, died Monday, Nov. 22, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Chapel of the Cross Episcopal Church in Madison. Visitation will follow in the Parish Hall. A private committal service will take place next week at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Oxford.
Luisa Arico serves up another of her Italian hits in this Thanksgiving recipe for Paglia e Fieno for four. (November 24, 2010, Page 8A)
Margaret Chesnut writes to urge residents to consider absentee voting as a solution to lines on election day, while Desmond Kincaid would like to see more information on a plan to turn a short stretch of one-way traffic on Jackson Avenue to two-way traffic.
- Rosie P. Ford — 70, died Monday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Don William Moore — 80, died Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2010, at his home in Water Valley. A graveside service was held Monday at the Oak Hill Cemetery in Water Valley. Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley was in charge of arrangements.
- Nancy Carolyn “Carol” Park Russell — 56, died Monday, Nov. 22, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Services will be held at 6 p.m. Wednesday in the Fellowship Hall of Clear Creek Baptist Church. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Mary Louise McClung Sprinkle — 91, of Jackson died Sunday, Nov. 21, 2010, at the Arbor. Services will be held at 3 this afternoon at Wright and Ferguson on Highland Colony Parkway, with visitation for two hours prior to the service.
The most decorated long distance runner in Ole Miss history ran the final race of his career Monday at the NCAA Cross Country Championships.
It was not a fitting end to Barnabas Kirui’s brilliant college tenure as the senior had been dealing with a back injury ever since he won his third Southeastern Conference Cross Country Championship. After a strong start in Monday’s race, he was forced to drop out because of his back pain. (November 23, 2010, Page 9)
Local columnist Jimmy Reed recalls the horror of Dachau prison and the Holocaust, and warns that the danger to humans is not hate – but actually indifference. (November 23, 2010, Page 4)