Lafayette’s basketball games against North Panola, originally scheduled for 6 p.m. today, have been canceled for today. A makeup date has not been set. Seeding for next week’s District 2-4A Tournament is still undecided. (February 4, 2011, Page 6A)
Sometimes we need an outsider, a visitor to our community, to remind us how special it is. Loran Smith, who’s held a number of positions at the University of Georgia during a career thats earned him a spot in the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame, gives us one of those reminders in a guest column he wrote after another delightful visit recently. (February 4, 2011, Page 4A)
- Lucy P. Brown — 75, died Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2011, at her home in Toccopola. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in the Toccopola Cemetery. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Charles Michael “O.D.” Jameson — 61, died Saturday, Jan. 29, 2011, in Yalobusha County. A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel. A special memorial service will follow at 4 at the LZ in Grenada. Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of local arrangements.
- Virginia J. Kesler — 74, died Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2011, at her home in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Eastover Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be Friday from 4 until 7 p.m. at the funeral home.
- Marie Smith Pringle — died Wednesday at her residence in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Mary Louise Wortham — 79, died Sunday, Jan. 30, 2011, at her residence in Oxford. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Tallahatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Burial will follow in St. Peters Cemetery in Oxford. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at Burns U.M. Church in Oxford. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
Have you ever typed in your name on your favorite Internet search engine? What did the results look like? How many of you are out there? Local columnist Deidra Jackson discovers that she’s a 42-year-old white female in prison or a top-scoring guard in college or a new bride – all at the same time. She takes a closer look at the possibilities and warns that you might well consider eliminating some of the content associated with your name. (February 3, 2011, Page 4)
The Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Caregivers Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Monday at the Azalea Gardens Assisted Living Community in Oxford. The group will host a reception to commemorate the start of the 26th year of its monthly meetings. Members of the community will also be recognized who have supported the caregiver group and the mission of the Alzheimer’s Association through the years. Also to be honored are the dedicated caregivers who have or who are providing care of loved ones dealing with memory loss. All former and present families and loved ones are requested to be a part of the reception. Mary Nell Dorris, board president of the Mississippi Alzheimer’s Association, will present “There’s a whale in the pool” to the group after the reception. For more information, contact Jo Ann O’Quin at email@example.com or 236-1879 or Sandra Enfinger at 234-9600. (February 2, 2011)
- Lucy P. Brown — 75, died this morning at her home in Toccopola. Arrangements are incomplete with Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Marshall Ray Jenkins — 55, died Monday, Jan. 31, 2011, at his home near Oxford. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Friday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford. Burial will follow in the Abbeville Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home.
- Virginia J. Kesler — 74, died today at her home in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home.
- Jacqueline Anne “Reeh” Smith — 68, of Memphis died Sunday, Jan. 30, 2011, at St. Francis Hospital in Memphis. Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at the Kate Freeman Clark Art Gallery in Holly Springs and immediately be followed by a memorial service and celebration of her life. Memorial service and burial will be at St. Francis Borgia Catholic Church and Holy Cross Cemetery in her hometown of Blair, Neb., at a later date. Waller Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of local arrangements.
- Velma Williams — 68, died Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2011, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. A graveside service will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday at Delay Baptist Church Cemetery in Water Valley. Visitation will be 30 minutes prior to the service.
Roy G. Arnold writes to note that The Oxford EAGLE was missing at a recent candidates’ forum and wondered if the paper just covers things it favors, while Richard G. Roberts Jr. wrote to take exception to a recent Sid Salter column about legislators, the public and public universities in the state. (February 2, 2011, Page 4)
The annual Empty Bowls fundraiser to benefit The Pantry will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 10 at the Oxford-University United Methodist Church, North Ninth and University Avenue. Reserved parking will be available for patrons in the church parking lot at Tyler Avenue and 10th Street. For $15, participants get a bowl of soup, a piece of bread and a bottle of water, as well as an empty, collectors bowl, crafted and donated by the University of Mississippi “Mud Daubers.” Funds raised with benefit The Pantry, the local food bank. (February 1, 2011)
- Donna Kirkwood Harding — 90, died Friday, Jan. 28, 2011, at the College View Assisted Living Center in Columbus. Services were held Sunday at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley, with Bro. Harold Sprayberry and the Rev. Melvin Mordecai officiating. Burial followed in the Oak Hill Cemetery in Water Valley.
- Marshall Jenkins — 55, died at his home in Lafayette County on Monday. Arrangements are incomplete with Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford.