- Meade G. Burrows — 56, died Wednesday, July 21, 2010, in Northhampton, Mass. A celebration of his life will be held Aug. 17 at 5:30 p.m. at the Unitarian Church in Northampton.
- Gavin Marcus Daniels — the infant son of Marcus and LaKesha Flemons-Daniels of Red Banks, died Monday, Aug. 9, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-DeSoto in Southaven. Graveside services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Providence U.M.Church Cemetery in Abbeville. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Wendell Earl “Bud” Hall — 74, of Collierville, died Tuesday, Aug. 10, 2010. Private services will be held in the West Tennessee Veterans Cemetery. Visitation will be from noon until 2 p.m. Thursday at the Collierville Funeral Home.
- Hattie Mae Key — 93, died Thursday, Aug. 5, 2010. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Friday at the Philadelphia M.B. Church. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be from 6 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the church. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements.
Tom Hoar writes to respond to a recent letter by Jason Plunk about Sunday alcohol sales in Oxford, noting that arguing “economic development” as the major factor can work both ways. (August 11, 2010, Page 4)
Oxford EAGLE columnist Susan Boehm and husband are making up new rules as they travel into their golden years. Despite a diagnosis of dymentia for her husband, Susan and Byron have agreed to be open with others and continue to have a sense of humor about his condition. “Byron has dementia, but I can tell how very much he loves me and he is so proud that I love him as much as I do.” (August 10, 2010, Page 1B)
- Irene Emily Wittmann Dollahite — 72, of Water Valley died Sunday, Aug. 8, 2010. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will take place in Pinecrest Cemetery in Yalobusha County. Visitation will be from 5 until 7 this evening at the funeral home.
- Kenneth Knox Sockwell — 64, died Tuesday, Aug. 3, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday at New El Bethel Baptist Church. Burial will follow in New El Bethel Cemetery. Visitation will be one hour prior to the service at the church. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Netta O. Taylor — 70, died Wednesday, Aug. 4, 2010. A private graveside service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Corinth National Cemetery in Corinth. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
Local columnist Jimmy Reed pays tribute in a memorial to a dear friend, Tony Fratesi, who, like his family, worked his way up the ladder and always remembered to help others along the way. (August 10, 2010, Page 4)
Members of the community are invited to pre-register for a free course on “How to have a firewise home.” The course will be taught from 5:30 to 8:15 p.m. Aug. 24 at the Lafayette County Volunteer Fire Department, Central Fire Station, located at 50 CR 1032.
The course is designed to provide homeowners with the necessary tools to assess the vulnerability of their home to wildland fire and to encourage sound land-use planning and creative mitigation to reduce the occurrence of fire losses.
This course is taught by the Mississippi Forestry Commission Firewise Coordinator and/or MSU Extension Forestry Associates. The workshop is funded by the Lafayette County Board of Supervisors. Meal, refreshments and workshop materials will be provided, and continuing education credits are available. The class is limited to 50 participants and the deadline for registration is Aug. 23. Pre-registration is required. To register, or for more information, contact Margaret Webb at the Lafayette County Extension Service Office at 234-4451. (August 10, 2010)
Hollywood Feed on West Jackson Avenue in the Goose Creek Mall is once again hosting an adoption day for kittens, cats and dogs from 9Lives Cat Rescue, this Saturday from noon to 3 p.m.. An opportunity for pet photos, taken by a professional photographer, will be available for $10, with the proceeds going to 9Lives. Volunteers from 9Lives will be present to answer questions. (August 10, 2010)
North Mississippi Hospice will sponsor a grief support group meeting from noon to 1 p.m. Thursday at Azalea Gardens in Oxford. A light lunch will be provided. The meeting is open to anyone who has experienced a loss. For more information, call 234-0140 . (August 10, 2010)
The University of Mississippi Museum presents a screening of “Citizen Architect: Samuel Mockbee and the Spirit of the Rural Studio” at the Lyric Theatre Oxford on Tuesday, Aug. 17, at 7 p.m. This moving documentary film chronicles the late architect and MacArthur foundation “genius grant” recipient Samuel “Sambo” Mockbee and the radical educational design/build program called the Rural Studio that he founded in Hale County, Alabama in 1992.
The film follows Jay Sanders, a young, first-time instructor at the Rural Studio as he leads a group of students in the process of crafting a home for their charismatic client, Jimmie Lee Matthews, known within the community as Music Man because of his passion for soul music. Citizen Architect explores Mockbee’s effort to provide students with an experience that forever inspires them to consider how they can use their skills to better their communities. To view the film’s trailer, visit: www.citizenarchitectfilm.com
Mockbee was a fifth-generation Mississippian, winning many national awards for innovative architecture. Oxonian Carol Mockbee, producer of Thacker Mountain Radio (and Sambo’s daughter) is also in the film bringing one of her father’s last designs to life. Sam Douglas, the film’s director will lead a Q & A session with Carol to follow the film. The evening’s music is by Oxford musician Jake Fussell, who composed the film’s soundtrack.
Event tickets are $20 Reserved Seating, $10 General Admission, and $5 General Admission for Students with valid student ID, and may be purchased at the Lyric Theatre box office or online by visiting www.thelyricoxford.com. Tickets are also available at the University of Mississippi Museum, located at University Avenue and Fifth Street in Oxford. (August 9, 2010)
- Fletcher Brassell Jr. — died Sunday at his residence in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- W.R. “Sonny” Hemphill — 82, died Saturday, Aug. 7, 2010. Services will be held at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in St. Peter’s Cemetery. Visitation will precede the service from 12:30 until 2:30 at the funeral home.
- Edra H. Mitchell — 84, died Saturday, Aug. 7, 2010, at her home in Lambert. Services were held this morning at Blue Lake Baptist Church in Crowder. Burial followed in Crowder Cemetery. Wells Funeral Home of Batesville was in charge of arrangements.
- Tommy M. Stewart — 62, died Saturday, Aug. 7, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home, with the Rev. David Perry officiating. Burial will follow in Springdale Cemetery. Visitation will be from 4 until 8 this evening at the funeral home.