A strong first quarter and another team effort helped lift the Oxford Lady Chargers basketball squad to a 67-36 win over Ashland Tuesday night. The Chargers weren’t as fortunate as they as they fell 61-57 to Ashland in the nightcap. (more…) (December 1, 2010, Page 7)
Led by Eric Buckley’s 19-point effort, the Water Valley Blue Devils defeated Coffeeville 69-55 Tuesday night in the WVHS gym.
‘Tis the season to be jolly. Or is it? Certainly, for many, it’s not as jolly of a time. Local columnist T.J. Ray takes a look back at how we used to help those in need during the holiday season and contrasts and compares that with what goes on in most places today. (December 1, 2010, Page 4)
- Marian Cobb Cousar-Getsin — 79, died Monday, Nov. 29, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the New Albany Presbyterian Church, Hwy. 15 South in New Albany. Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- George Scott Gilchrist — 62, died Friday, Nov. 26, 2010, at his son’s home in Water Valley. The family will hold a memorial service at a later time. Seven Oaks Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Maefred King House — 91, of Oxford, formerly of Senatobia, died Sunday, Nov. 28, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Graveside services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at Bethesda Cemetery in Senatobia. Visitation will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Pate-Jones Funeral Home in Senatobia.
Oxford’s ninth grade and junior varsity boys basketball teams earned wins over Pontotoc in the OHS gym Monday night.
The ninth graders defeated the Warriors 60-53, while the JV won 50-34. (November 30, 2010, Page 9)
Local columnist Jimmy Reed takes a look at motives and how they’re often influenced by self-interest, and suggests that we turn to love and understanding before we make decisions and comments. (November 30, 2010, Page 4)
- Larry Lonnell Chrestman — 63, died Wednesday, Nov. 24, 2010 at his home in Batesville. Services were held Saturday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial followed in Eastover Memorial Cemetery.
- Era Jane Coleman — 92, died Thursday, Nov. 25, 2010, at Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. Services were held Saturday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial followed in Pine Bluff Cemetery.
- Rosie P. Ford — 70, died Monday, Nov. 22, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services were held this morning at Clear Creek MB Church. Burial followed in Clear Creek Cemetery. Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc was in charge of arrangements.
- Marian C. Getsin — 79, of Oxford died this morning at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Allie B. Orange — 70, died Tuesday, Nov. 23, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday at Clear Creek M.B. Church. Burial will follow in Cypress Grove M.B. Church Cemetery in Oxford. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Kathleen “Kathy” Wiley Roberts — 88, died Friday, Nov. 26, 2010, at her residence in Abbeville. Service will be held at 10 a.m. Tuesday in the Waller Funeral Home Chapel. A graveside service will follow in Forest Hill Cemetery-Midtown in Memphis at 12:30 p.m. Visitation will be Monday from 4 until 7 p.m. at the funeral home.
The Ole Miss women’s volleyball team will be making its third NCAA Tournament appearance in program history — and third in the past five seasons — when Ole Miss takes on North Carolina in the first round at California-Berkley.
The first-round matchup will take place on Friday. The winner of the match will face the winner of Cal-Berkley and Utah State in the second round on Saturday. North Carolina enters with a 24-9 overall mark and a 15-5 mark in the ACC. (November 29, 2010, Page 4B)
The Ole Miss women’s basketball team posted a 70-61 win over Illinois in the third-place game of the Waikiki Beach Marriott Rainbow Wahnie Showdown Sunday in Hawaii.
With the win, Ole Miss improves to 5-2 while Illinois fell to 3-4.
Valencia McFarland led Ole Miss with a career-high 24 points and added five rebounds and four assists. Kayla Melson added a career-high 21 points and nine assists. (November 29, 2010, Page 4B)