Alan Lamb writes, tongue only partly in cheek, to ask if anyone else has noticed the lack of working turn signals on automobiles in Oxford and wonders if there shouldn’t be a protest about the slight. (December 29, 2010, Page 4)
- Cleala Mae Adams — 86, died Sunday, Dec. 19, 2010, at the Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services were held Monday at Pleasant Green Missionary Baptist Church in Panola County. Burial followed in the church cemetery. Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley was in charge of arrangements.
- Daniel Edward Bynum Sr. — 51, died Thursday, Dec. 23, 2010, at his home near Oxford. A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford.
- Mary Jane James — 60, died Sunday, Dec. 26, 2010, at her home in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday in the chapel of the Waller Funeral Home in Oxford. Burial will follow in Eastover Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be prior to the service from noon until 2 p.m. at the funeral home.
- Sue Lomax — 82, died Monday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Doris Quarles — 81, formerly of Oxford, died Monday at Central Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.
Local columnist Jimmy Reed writes about a friend and former student to show a trait he’s resolving to try to take on in 2011 – naturalness. (December 28, 2010, Page 4)
- Mary Jane James — 60, died Sunday, Dec. 26, 2010, at her home in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home in Oxford. Burial will follow in Eastover Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
Kenny G. Coleman writes to note the past contributions of the local Baptist Memorial Healthcare System and to encourage the community to support BMH’s expansion plans. (December 27, 2010, Page 4)
- Robert H. “Poppie” Samuels — 84 died Wednesday, Dec. 22, 2010, at Arkansas Hospice Hospital in Little Rock, Ark. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at St. Andrews United Methodist Church of Oxford. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be held for an hour and a half prior to the service at the church. A memorial service will be held at a later date at First United Methodist Church of Beebe, Ark. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Mary Sue Jones Sockwell — 99, died Wednesday, Dec. 22, 2010, at Yalobusha County Nursing Home in Water Valley. A private family graveside service will be held at Yellow Leaf Cemetery. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Jack Mayfield takes us down Memory Lane as he recalls Christmases of the past when he spent the holidays with his grandparents in their South Lamar home. Read about his childhood memories in today’s Oxford Living. (December 23, 2010, Page 3B)
Ole Miss needs playmakers on offense and Alabama native Collins Moore seems to have the ability that could help the Rebels at wide receiver in the future.
The 6-foot-1, 185-pound Collins, who just got through playing for Bob Jones High School, plans to play for Ole Miss and coach Houston Nutt starting in the fall. Moore committed to the Rebels in August and has remained firmly committed ever since.
Moore is a receiver that has a knack of being able to go up and make the big catch, and Moore’s coach at Bob Jones, Kevin Rose, has been very impressed with his ability to catch the football. (December 23, 2010, Page 7A)
Trevor Gaskins scored 21 points as the Ole Miss beat Texas State 83-72 in the first round of the Cancun Governor’s Cup on Wednesday night for the Rebels’ fifth straight win. (more…) (December 23, 2010, Page 6A)
While we seem, every year, to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the Christmas holidays, local columnist Deidra Jackson says we need to make sure we embrace the ordinary and important things in life at this special time of the year. (December 23, 2010, Page 4A)