- Charles Loyd Calder — 68, died Tuesday, Jan. 4, 2011, at the Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday at Calvary Baptist Church in Coffeeville. Burial will follow in the Calvary Baptist Church Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at the Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley.
- Collie Patterson Crouch — 100, died Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2011, at Yalobusha Nursing Home in Water Valley. A graveside service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday in St. Peter’s Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 9:45 to 10:45 a.m. prior to the service on at Waller Funeral Home of Oxford.
- H. Glen Willard Jr. — 68, died Wednesday, Dec. 29, 2010, in Kyiv, Ukraine. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Friday at the Union Church of the Nazarene in Pontotoc County. Burial will follow at the Old Union Cemetery near Oxford. The family will meet at United Funeral Service in New Albany at 11 a.m. Friday before leaving for the church.
Not after the Rebels shot 69.6 percent in the second half, turning a close game into a 75-57 rout. (January 6, 2011, Page 6)
The Ole Miss men and women’s tennis teams will begin the 2011 season ranked No. 18 in the nation as the preseason ITA National Rankings were announced Tuesday by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association. (more…) (January 6, 2011, Page 7)
Ole Miss women’s tennis head coach Mark Beyers announced Wednesday the addition of Norwegian standout Caroline Rohde-Moe, who will join the 18th-ranked Rebels this semester. (more…) (January 6, 2011, Page 7)
Filling a critical need on a coaching staff that went through a major shakeup after a 5-7 season, Texas hired Mississippi State defensive coordinator Manny Diaz to do the same job with the Longhorns. (more…) (January 6, 2011, Page 6)
Dead birds and dead fish. Coincidence or incidental? That’s the question local columnist Deidra Jackson asks as she talks about a few ongoing stories with widespread coverage and widely varied explanations. Jackson urges us to seek the real truth and also to remember that we’re responsible for taking care of this Earth. (January 6, 2011, Page 4)
- Ruby Doyle Vinson Hall — 86, died Tuesday, Jan. 4, 2011, at her home in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home in Oxford. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be from 4 to 6 p.m. this evening at the funeral home.
- Sherlie Fay Sullivan Swann — 50, died Saturday, Jan. 1, 2011, at her home in Coffeeville. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at Ecru Baptist Church in Pontotoc County. Burial will take place at Warren Cemetery in Pontotoc County. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley.
The Oxford Rebels, a 7-year old Select baseball team, will be holding tryouts for youth ages 7 or younger that have a birthday by April 30. The deadline to sign up for the tryout is Feb. 1. For more information about the tryout, contact Kyle Wicker at 816-2843. (January 5, 2011, Page 7)
Registration for the Oxford Park Commission’s spring soccer league has begun. The cost to participate is $50 for new players and $25 for returning players ages 4 to 14. For more information, contact C.J. Ketchum at (662) 232-2380. (January 5, 2011, Page 7)