On Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon, anyone can come to the Oxford Community Garden and get leaves that have composted since last fall. Leaves are free, and for a donation to the Garden, the compost will be loaded in your vehicle. Bring a truck, trailer or bags. The Garden is on University Avenue, pull in by the little white water building next to M & F Bank. For more information, e-mail email@example.com or call Susie Adams at 234-3064 in the evening. (October 15, 2010)
Kennon Observatory on the UM campus will host a free public viewing of the sky from 7 to 10 p.m. Friday. Telescopes will be available to observe the Moon, Uranus, Neptune and Jupiter, as well as star clusters and colorful double stars. The dome of Kennon Observatory has been repaired, so the large telescope inside will be available. Observations are possible only if the weather cooperates. In case the weather is cloudy or rainy, there can be no observation. Families and children are welcome. (October 15, 2010)
- Margaret Tolson East — 84, died Wednesday, Oct. 6, 2010. A graveside service will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Marshall Williams — 51, died Sunday, Oct. 10, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Philadelphia M.B.C. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday at the Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home chapel.
- Norris E. Thompson — 57, died Sunday, Oct. 10, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Clear Creek M.B. Church. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Honnoll Collins Windham — 89, died Tuesday, Oct. 12, 2010. Services will be held at noon Friday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in St. Peter’s Cemetery. Visitation will be held prior to the service from 10 a.m. until noon at the funeral home.
Local columnist Deidra Jackson takes a closer look at a recent appeal by President Obama to consider a longer school year to help with education in the United States. Discussions with former teachers and a current administrator show some of the concerns that educators and parents would have with the well-intentioned recommendation. (October 14, 2010, Page 4)
Franklin L. Foster writes to tell of his party’s experience as visiting fans from Kentucky for the recent Ole Miss-Kentucky football game. Foster praised the community for its friendliness and cleanliness. (October 14, 2010, Page 4)
Taylor Durham scored six touchdowns to help lead the 6-7 year-old Steelers to a 38-36 win in Oxford Park Commission youth flag football action Tuesday at FNC Park.
In other 6-7 games, the Bears topped the Jets 26-8, the Chiefs nipped the Cowboys 13-12, while the Jags beat the Packers 21-6.
In the 8-9 league, the Steelers beat the Saints 42-19, the Ravens beat the Chiefs 19-13, the Packers edged out the Bears 18-14, while the Raiders blanked Giants 12-0.
In two 10-12 games, the Steelers blanked the Chiefs 25-0, while the Bears shut out the Giants 20-0. (October 14, 2010, Page 7)
- Trudy Juanita Holder Erwin — 62, of Cleveland died Monday, Oct. 11, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at Ray Funeral Home in Cleveland. Burial will follow at Shelby Cemetery in Shelby. Visitation will be 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home.
- Norris Thompson — formerly of Oxford, died Sunday at his residence in Jackson. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Honnoll Collins Windham — 89, died Tuesday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home.
The local school system, from nursery school through law school, has been good for many local residents and their families, Andy Phillips writes in a guest column supporting passage of the referendum to raise funds to build a new high school. Phillips points to the quality of education and its draw on outsiders, and says it’s time to support a move to continue that high level available to local residents. (October 13, 2010, Page 4)
- Melvin Locke — 72, died Monday, Oct. 11, 2010. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday in the Waller Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in Clear Creek Cemetery. Visitation will be Wednesday from 5 to 7 p.m. at the funeral home.
Taylor Durham scored four touchdowns for the 6-7 year-old Steelers on the opening night of Oxford Park Commission youth football action, but it came in a 32-26 loss to the Bears.
In the other 6-7 games, the Jets pounded the Chiefs 27-6, the Packers defeated the Vikings 28-6, while the Giants topped the Cowboys 28-12. In the 8-9 league, the Giants beat the Cowboys 13-6, while the Raiders blanked the Saints 31-0. In two 10-12 games, the Cowboys edged the Giants 13-12, while the Bears topped the Jets 33-15. (October 12, 2010, Page 9)