Guest columnist Taylor McGraw always dreamed of the day he would be signing autographs for a group of kids, but little did he know it wouldn’t be as an Atlanta Braves outfielder but rather as a student helping youngsters in a sixth-grade classroom in San Pedro, Belize. McGraw relates details of a recent visit to the community of San Mateo and urges others to help those in need. (January 31, 2011, Page 4)
Gardener Dicki King tells us that January is time to focus on getting ready for spring and we should take time to plan for the next few weeks. There is really much to be done. The first of February is a good time to select new bushes and trees for planting. (January 28, 2011, Page 2B)
Historian Jack Lamar Mayfield continues his look into the days of the Civil War and it’s effect on Oxford and the University of Mississippi in 1861. (January 28, 2011, Page 3B)
Generations columnist Steve Stricker remembers making the transition from high school to college. Read about his story in today’s Oxford Living. (January 28, 2011, Page 1B)
The Lanier Law Firm, representing the family of University of Mississippi football player Bennie “Buster” Abram who died last year during football practice, announced today they are investigating the circumstances surrounding Abram’s death.
Abram, a walk-on junior defensive back from Southaven, died after collapsing on Feb. 19, 2010. The autopsy report showed the 20-year-old’s death was due to complications from sickle cell trait with exertion and a contributing factor of cardiomegaly, an inflammation of the heart. (January 28, 2011, Page 3A)
- Shirley Jean Cain — 67, formerly of Tula, died Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2011, at the University Hospital in Lexington. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Sunday at the Southern Funeral Home Chapel in Durant. Burial will follow in Mizphe Cemetery in Durant. Visitation will be held for three hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Charlie Crane — 70, of Tula died Thursday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi of Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Donna Kirkwood Harding — 90, died Friday, Jan. 28, 2011, at the College View Assisted Living Center in Columbus. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow in the Oak Hill Cemetery in Water Valley. Visitation will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Saturday at the funeral home.
- Lillie Belle Hilliard-Hayes — 91, died Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2011, at Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare-All Saints of the St. Mary’s Health Care Facility in Racine, Wis. Services will be held at noon Monday at the East Providence M.B. Church of Oxford, with Pastor Johnny Frost officiating. Burial will follow in the Oxford Memorial Cemetery of Oxford. Visitation will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. Sunday at the Serenity-Martin Funeral Chapel of Oxford.
The Ole Miss Chapter of the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame will honor Jimmy “Tank” Crawford of Coldwater with its Distinguished American Award Saturday at halftime of Ole Miss’ home basketball game against Tennessee at C.M. “Tad” Smith Coliseum.
The Distinguished American Award is presented each year by the Ole Miss Chapter to individuals who have carried the lessons learned on the football field into a life of service to their community and fellow man. (January 28, 2011, Page 8A)
Oxford’s seventh- and eighth-grade boys basketball teams ended the season Thursday at home against South Panola.
The seventh-grade Chargers lost 28-25 to finish 8-2 on the year, while the eighth-grade won 37-25 to finish the year 16-2. D.K. Metcalf led the seventh-grade with 12 points. (more…) (January 28, 2011, Page 8A)
Dr. Beth Coe writes to commend and thank the East St. Peter’s Missionary Baptist Church choir for its performance at the recent memorial service for Cora Jordan. (January 28, 2011, Page 4A)
- Beatrice Davis Campbell — 89, died Saturday, Jan. 22, 2011, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Clear Creek M.B. Church. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Robert Edward Dooley — 70, died Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2011, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in the North Oxford Baptist Church Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at the funeral home.
- Claiborne Powell East Jr. — 89, died Friday, Dec. 10, 2010, in Sun City West, Ariz. Services were held earlier and burial took place in the family plot in Oxford.
- Lillie Bell Hilliard Hayes — 91, formerly of Oxford, died Tuesday at St. Mary Medical Center in Racine, Wis. Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Woodrow Felton Murphy — 90, died Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2011, at the Veterans Hospital in Memphis. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Friday at the Bethlehem Church of the Lord Jesus Christ in Potts Camp. Burial will follow in the Bethlehem Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 to 9 this evening at the church. Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Wilson Earl Smith — 57, died Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2011, at his home in Walls. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow in the Oakland City Cemetery in Oakland. Visitation will be held from 6 to 8 this evening at the funeral home.