The Education Committee of Lafayette County Master Gardeners, under the leadership of Chair Eileen Leonard, surveyed its membership and compiled a few of the member’s “favorite things.” To learn what your favorite gardener might want for Christmas, see Susan Boehm’s column on page 2B. (December 3, 2010, Page 2B)
Columnist Jack Lamar Mayfield talks about Oxford’s first community Christmas tree that was erected at the Memory House on University Avenue. (December 3, 2010, Page 2B)
The regular meeting of the Lafayette County Board of Supervisors will meet at 9 a.m. Monday at the Lafayette County Chancery Building. This week’s agenda includes discussion about the Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi move and a report from the United Way. See Page 5B for the entire agenda. (December 3, 2010, Page 5A)
- Wesley Todd Alexander — 61, died Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2010. Services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Tutor Memorial Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in Bellevue Cemetery. Visitation will be from 4 until 8 this evening and from 10 a.m. until service time Saturday, all at the funeral home.
- Howard Andrews — 51, of Batesville died Monday, Nov. 29, 2010, at the Regional Medical Center in Memphis. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Eureka A.M.E. Zion Church in Batesville. Burial will follow in Eureka Cemetery. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at Cooley’s Mortuary and one hour prior to Sunday’s service at the church.
- Howard Gene Halverson — 72, died Thursday, Dec. 2, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Local funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service at the funeral home. Final funeral services will be Monday at 2 p.m. at East Clermont Lutheran Church in Postville, Iowa. Visitation will be prior to the service from 1:30 until 2 p.m. at the church. Burial will follow in East Clermont Lutheran Church Cemetery.
- William Lewis Miles — 81, of Water Valley, died Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2010, at the Yalobusha County Nursing Home. Visitation will be from noon until 2 this afternoon at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley, with a graveside service at Jumper’s Chapel in Yalobusha County immediately following the visitation.
Usually, several times a semester, a local organization of international residents now living in Oxford called Cook! Eat! Share! prepares a marvelous feast for the public that celebrates the food and culture of a country of one of the members.
This semester is all but over, but Cook! East! Share! has pulled together in time to create its first Jewish Table at 6 this evening at The Depot at the University of Mississippi. (December 3, 2010, Page 3A)
Ole Miss returns to Oxford to host an undefeated Southern Miss squad in a bout for in-state bragging rights on Saturday. (December 3, 2010, Page 8A)
The Oxford seventh- and eighth-grade boys basketball teams made a clean sweep of Pontotoc on Thursday. The seventh graders won 39-10 while the eighth graders won 48-29. (more…) (December 3, 2010, Page 9A)
Former Lafayette standout baseball player Hunter Mize has signed with Blue Mountain College after playing two seasons at Northeast Community College. While at NECC, Mize hit .304 with two home runs, two doubles and 35 RBIs. He also had a .423 on-base percentage last season. (December 3, 2010, Page 9A)
Adron Joseph “A.J.” Dillard — 83, died Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2010, at his residence. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Friday at the United Funeral Service Chapel in New Albany. Burial will follow in the Center Cemetery. Visitation will be from 4 till 8 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home. (December 2, 2010, Page 2A)
- Ted Roland Dority — died Saturday, Nov. 27, 2010. A memorial visitation will be held Thursday from 5 until 7 p.m. at Radney Funeral Home on Dauphin Street in Mobile.