The Amos Network of Lafayette County will conduct its Homebuyer Education Workshop at 9 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 11, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi’s Magnolia Auditorium. The workshop is HUD approved and it is free. For more information, contact Janice F. Carr at 662-380-0662 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. (August 22, 2010)
L.O.U HOME will hold a public hearing on submitting a home ownership grant application for affordable homes for low-income families at 6 p.m. Aug. 31 at the Lafayette County & Oxford Public Library. Those interested in purchasing an affordable home are encouraged to attend. (August 22, 2010)
(August 22, 2010)
- Geneva Payne Perrine — 99, died Saturday, Aug. 21, 2010. Services will be held at noon Tuesday at Oxford-University United Methodist Church. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be held one hour prior to the service in the fellowship hall of the church. Waller Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- James E. Pitts — 42, died Thursday, Aug. 19, 2010. A Celebration of His Life will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at the Powerhouse in Oxford. A graveside service will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
(August 22, 2010)
The Mississippi Homemakers Volunteers of Lafayette County will host its annual Potluck Picnic at noon Thursday at the Lafayette County Extension Office at 101 Veterans Drive. Members will bring a covered dish for lunch. Guests and new members are welcome. For more information, call the office at 234-4451. (August 22, 2010)
Senior quarterback Guy Cameron Billups was 6-for-10 for 148 yards and three touchdowns — all in the first quarter — in leading the Oxford Chargers to a 41-12 victory over Grenada in the season-opener for both teams at Bobby Holcomb field. (more…) (August 20, 2010)
Chapter 1659, National Active and Retired Federal Employees, or NARFE, will meet at 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 9, at Fat Cats Catfish & Steak restaurant, 1007 Old College Hill Road. A variety of lunches will be available. Guest speaker will be Mary Kathryn Millner, director of tourism with the Oxford Convention and Visitors Bureau. In addition, a discussion will be held concerning the recently concluded NARFE National Convention. All members and prospective members, all active and retired federal employees, family and friends are invited to attend. For more information, call Chapter Secretary Bill James at 234-3197. (August 20, 2010)
Will meet for breakfast from 7:30 – 8:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Ole Miss Catering banquet suite located at 123 Heritage Drive. Featured speaker is Bethany Huffman, Rotary District 6800 membership chair. Guests are invited to attend. For more information, e-mail email@example.com or call Scott Thompson at 816-9898 or visit www.oxford-olemissrotary.com. (August 20, 2010)
- Jerold “Jerry” Dennon Campbell, 71, died Thursday, Aug. 19, 2010. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Sunday at Clear Creek Baptist Church. Visitation will be held prior to the service from 1:30 until 2:45 in the fellowship hall of the church. A graveside service will be held at a later date. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Cecil C. “Nick” Nichols — 89, died Wednesday, Aug. 18, 2010. Services will be held at this afternoon in the Henry Chapel of the Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley, with Bro. Billy Sasser officiating. Burial will follow at Ford’s Well Cemetery.
- Lanny Eugene Phillips — 58, died Wednesday, Aug. 18. 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in the Old Union Cemetery on CR 444. Visitation will be held two hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
- James Pitts — 42, died Thursday at his home in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home of Oxford.
J.R. Witt, president and founder of 1st Liberty Financial, will present a free seminar on Veterans Aid and Attendance Benefit at noon Monday at Azalea Gardens Assisted Living Facility in Oxford. This benefit program can provide money to pay for home care, assisted living care or nursing home care for veterans or their spouses. For more information about the company and the VA benefits, visit www.1stliberty.net. (August 20, 2010)