The Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, along with the nine sororities on the University of Mississippi campus, recently held the first annual Pike Powder Puff philanthropy event. The event raised $25,000 for three charities — Feed The Hunger, More Than A Meal and Love For Life. (March 4, 2011, Page 3A)
Oxford High School senior Hattie Fisher answers the question as to whether the younger generation has a roll in America’s future. (March 4, 2011, Page 1B)
Master Gardener Barbara Sherrod White shows us how our gardens can thrive throughout the cold winter months. See today’s Oxford Living. (March 4, 2011, Page 3B)
- Harold Lee Cook, 64, died Thursday, Feb. 24, 2011, at Methodist University Hospital in Memphis. Graveside services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Oak Grove CME Church Cemetery in Water Valley. Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc is in charge of the arrangements.
- William U. “Bill” Faust Jr., 90, died Thursday, March 3, 2011, at his residence in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Shiloh Cemetery. Visitation will be from 5 until 7 this evening at Waller Funeral Home.
- Nellie Belle Lancaster “Miss Nellie” Gardiner, 72, died Wednesday, March 2, 2011, at Yalobusha General Hospital. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at First Baptist Church of Water Valley. Burial will follow in Oak Hill Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 until 7 this evening at Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley.
- Jenks Maynard, 66, died Thursday, March 3, 2011, in McIntosh County, Ga. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home in Oxford. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will precede the service from noon until 2 at the funeral home.
- Betty Ree Sharp Stark, 71, died Thursday, March 3, 2011, at her daughter’s home in Batesville. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow in Pinecrest Cemetery. Visitation will be Saturday from 6 to 8 p.m. at the funeral home.
The Ole Miss women’s basketball team ended its 2010-11 season with a 62-50 loss to South Carolina on Thursday night in the first round of the SEC Tournament at Bridgestone Arena. (more…) (March 4, 2011, Page 8A)
Lafayette’s middle school baseball team earned two lopsided 14-0 wins over South Panola Thursday. Both wins were no-hitters for the Commodores, who had four pitchers combine to strike out 19 batters.
The Commodores narrowly missed out winning in boys doubles and mixed doubles Thursday in their tennis match with Pontotoc. The setbacks ended up resulting into a 5-2 win for Pontotoc. Mallory Davis earned one of the two points for LHS in the match as she defeated Lauren Clayton 6-1, 6-1 in singles action. The other win for the Commodores came at No. 2 boys doubles as Hunter Knight and Jacob Roberts topped Jacob Hatcher and Jacob Ferguson 6-1, 7-5. (more…) (March 4, 2011, Page 8A)