The North Central Mississippi Service Center of the American Red Cross will hold its annual meeting at 5 p.m. July 15 at the Red Cross office located at 106 Skyline Drive in Oxford, behind Stout’s Carpet off Highway 30.
New directors and officers will be nominated and elected to serve in the coming year. Financial and service reports will also be presented as well as Outstanding Volunteer Awards. Light refreshments will be served. The public is invited. Those who would like to attend and be a part of the local unit contact the local Red Cross office at 236-1282.
The North Central Mississippi unit of the American Red Cross covers a six county area including Lafayette, Grenada, Calhoun, Yalobusha, Tate and Marshall Counties. The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization, led by volunteers, that provides relief to victims of disasters and helps people prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies. (July 2, 2010)
Meets at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the second floor courtroom in Oxford City Hall. (July 2, 2010)
Meets at 9 a.m. Tuesday in the Lafayette County Chancery Building. (July 2, 2010)
Members of the School of Applied Technology Board will meet at 7:45 a.m. Tuesday. (July 2, 2010)
The Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Caregiver Support Group will meet at 7 p.m. Monday at the Azalea Gardens Senior Care Community, 100 Azalea Drive in Oxford. The meeting is open to all caregivers interested in those with Alzheimer’s and related memory loss disorders. Watermelon and holiday refreshments will be provided. For more information, contact the sponsors, the Three Rivers Area Agency on Aging at 877-948-3090, or Jo Ann O’Quin with the UM Department of Social Work at 915-7199 or email@example.com. (July 2, 2010)
Holiday events set for Sunday include:
An Interdenominational Service at Paris-Yates Chapel at 3 p.m.
At 4, Grove Children’s activities begin and refreshments will be available. Live Bands will also perform in the Grove.
At 6, the Independence Day Ceremony begins in the Grove.
From 6:30 to nightfall, live bands in the Grove and a fireworks presentation will take place over Oxford-University Stadium Swayze Field. (July 2, 2010)
Holiday events set for Saturday include:
— The Stars & Stripes 5K Run benefiting the Lafayette County Humane Society begins at 8 a.m., while registration begins at 6:45 a.m. in front of Oxford City Hall. The Family Fun Run will be held immediately following the 5K Run.
— Line up for the LOU 4th of July Parade begins at 9 a.m. behind Oxford City Hall and gets underway at 10.
— Anniversary of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church Presentation and Readings at 11 a.m. at Oxford City Hall. Re-enactment to feature historical figures who will help to replicate the 1877 St. Peter’s presentation which was done at the same location in Oxford.
— Street Dance, featuring live entertainment by Soule, will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. in the parking lot in front of Nielsons. Refreshments available. (July 2, 2010)
Meets at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the administration office. (July 2, 2010)
Going to the doctor can be a scary experience but not for patients at the Oxford Pediatric Group Clinics. Nurse Delois Holmes has been practicing for fourteen years. She has become a clinic favorite caring for a generation of area toddlers and teens.
- Dorothy Murphrey Jones — 86, died Wednesday, June 30, 2010. A graveside service will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday at St. Peter’s Cemetery. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Alan B. Locke — 79, died Wednesday at his home near Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Dr. Charles Denton O’Dell — 73, died Tuesday, June 29, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at the Lavonia Presbyterian Church in Lavonia. A reception will follow at the Lavonia United Methodist Church fellowship hall across the street. A celebration of his life is planned for 2 p.m. July 10 at Camp Hopewell near Oxford, with a reception to follow. A memorial service is also planned for 4 p.m. July 14 at the Estatoah Wayfarers Chapel in Dillard, Ga. Strickland Funeral Home, Lavonia Chapel, is in charge of arrangements.
- Dorothy Louise Russell — 74, died Wednesday, June 30, 2010. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Friday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Clear Creek Cemetery. Visitation will be Thursday from 5 until 7 p.m. at the funeral home.
- Samuel Eugene “Sam” Turner — Sr., 64, died Wednesday, June 30, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home, with the Rev. Ken White officiating. Burial will follow in Kingdom Cemetery. Visitation will be Friday from 5 until 7 p.m. at the funeral home.