Meets at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Azalea Gardens. Nora Dalton and Louise Ragland will serve as hostesses. (February 4, 2011)
Meets at noon Tuesday at the Oxford University Club. Curtis Wilkie, Overby Fellow and Kelly G. Cook Chair of Journalism, will speak about his most recent book, “The Fall of the House of Zeuss.” (February 4, 2011)
The Oxford area Reach to Recovery group will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday at Azalea Gardens for a potluck supper. Hostess will be Mary Lexa. This is the annual visiting/planning meeting and everyone is urged to attend to discuss the group’s 2011 programs, and other projects. For more information, call 816-9316. (February 4, 2011)
Mississippi Chapter 1 of Rolling Thunder will meet at 6 p.m. Monday at the Beacon Restaurant. The public is invited. For more information, call John McKendree at 662-607-0611 or any member of Rolling Thunder. (February 4, 2011)
A Relay for Life Team Blitz meeting will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday at the Oxford-Lafayette County Chamber of Commerce. Anyone interested in forming a team for the Relay for Life fundraiser is urged to attend. (February 4, 2011)
The Lafayette County Master Gardeners will have an education meeting at 9 a.m. Monday in the Lafayette County Extension Service auditorium, 101 Veterans Drive. The speaker will be Dr. Ed Croom, professor of pharmacognosy at the University of Mississippi. He will discuss wild and native plants of the South and their uses for food, herbal remedies, baskets and other uses. All interested gardeners are invited. (February 4, 2011)
NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Connection, a weekly recovery support group for people living with mental illness, will be held from 3:30 to 5 p.m. Sunday in the Magnolia Room of Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. People learn from each others’ experiences, share coping strategies, and offer encouragement and understanding. For more Information, call NAMI Mississippi at 1-800-357-0388. (February 4, 2011)
- Willie Lee Crane — of Oxford died Thursday, Jan. 27, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Free Branch Church in Holly Springs. Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Betty Jean Marion — 69, died Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2011, at Grenada Lake Medical Center in Grenada. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Zion Springs Baptist Church in Calhoun County, with the Rev. Tommy Daniels officiating. Burial will follow in the Zion Springs Cemetery. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service at the church. Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley is in charge of arrangements.
- Tommie Lee Shelby — 69, died Thursday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Lena Mae Stone — 96, died Thursday, Feb. 3, 2011, at Church Street Personal Care Home in Ecru. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home, with the Rev. Adam Vinson officiating. Burial will follow in Christian Rest Cemetery. Visitation will be Saturday from 4 until 7 p.m. at the funeral home.
- M. Craig Warren — 34, died Saturday, Jan. 29, 2011, at his home in Springboro, Ohio. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday at Tutor Memorial Funeral Home Chapel in Pontotoc, with ministers Marcus Coward and Bill Thompson officiating. Burial will follow at Sand Springs Cemetery. Visitation will be held this afternoon starting at 4 and for one hour prior to the service Saturday, all at the funeral home.
Two of the last three Oxford Park Commission youth basketball games were decided by two points or less. The 7-8 year-old Bulls topped the Celtics 18-16, while the Thunder edged the Grizzlies in the 7-8 league. In other 7-8 games, the Jazz beat the Grizzlies 23-13. In the 9-10 league, the Mavericks nipped the Suns 24-23, the Heat topped the Bulls 17-11, while the Thunder beat the Grizzlies 30-21. In the 11-12 league, the Lakers beat the Heat 39-28, the Thunder topped the Celtics 31-29, while the Suns pounded the Grizzlies 35-21. In the 13-15 league, the Celtics defeated the Grizzlies 48-41, while the Lakers outlasted the Heat 58-48. (February 4, 2011, Page 7A)