Community involvement and thanking the individuals and businesses involved is the subject of two letters today as LHS football coach Anthony Hart writes to thanks those who helped raise funds for the 2010 state champion Commodores and Molly Fergusson writes to thank all of those who took part in so many ways with the eighth annual Oxford Film Festival. (February 28, 2011, Page 4)
- Opal Geraldine James Bowles — 80, died Saturday, Feb. 26, 2011, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday at Yellow Leaf Baptist Church, with the Rev. Jerry East officiating. Burial will follow in Yellow Leaf Cemetery. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the church. Waller Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Dolores Owen Busby — 84, died Friday, Feb. 25, 2011, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 this afternoon in the chapel of Waller Funeral home, with the Rev. Charles Lipe officiating. Burial will follow in Shiloh Cemetery.
- Harold Cooke — died Friday at Methodist Central University Hospital in Memphis. Arrangements are incomplete and will be later announced by Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
(February 27, 2011)
Mary Sloan was tickled pink and more than a bit surprised when her 20-year-old son asked her to take an art history class with him at the University of Mississippi during the winter intersession. She writes about sharing her love for art with her son in today’s Oxford Generations column. (February 25, 2011, Page 1B)
- Delores Owen Busby — 84, died this morning at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Harold Cooke died this morning at Methodist Central University Hospital in Memphis. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Barbara Fournie — 92, died on Wednesday, Feb. 9, 2011, at the Meadows Nursing Home in Fulton. No formal services were held. Holly Springs Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.
- Shirley Dale Johnson — 71, died Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2011, at Cornerstone Health and Rehabilitation Center in Corinth. Services will be held at 3 this afternoon in the Booneville Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in Lebanon Cemetery.
Columnist and local historian Jack Lamar Mayfield tells us more about the The Lamar Rifles this week — the group of Lafayette County men who made were one of the first local volunteer units to organize. The unit was named after L.Q.C. Lamar. Read more about the brave men who made up this unit in today’s Oxford Living. (February 25, 2011, Page 3B)
Ken Sufka writes to say that it seems, once again, that Mississippi public school and college students will be short-changed by state leaders when it comes to funding education. (February 25, 2011, Page 4A)
- Josephine R. Mathis — 87, died Wednesday, Feb. 23, 2011. Services will be held at noon Saturday at the Second Baptist Church in Oxford. Visitation will be held from 1 to 6 p.m. Friday at Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.
Milly Moorhead West writes to urge city officials to refrain from putting up kiosks to deal with paid parking on the historic Oxford Square, while Jason Plunk writes to commend the city for its trash compactors that help with appearance and cleanliness on the Square (February 24, 2011, Page 4)
Lafayette’s success on the tennis courts should continue to grow this season thanks to the hiring of veteran instructor and coach Debbie Swindoll. The former standout at Mississippi State has the Commodores pointed in the right direction again this year and looking forward to another impressive run in the Class 4A playoffs. (more…) (February 24, 2011, Page 7)