Oxford’s Class 5A first round playoff matches that were originally scheduled for today have been postponed due to weather according to athletics director Johnny Hill. (more…) (January 25, 2011)
Those who write newspaper columns, local writer Jimmy Reed says, don’t know who reads them, where they live or how they’ll react. One of his recent columns, however, got a positive reaction with a reader giving Reed a couple of examples of God answering prayers. (January 25, 2011, Page 4)
- Jewel Baines — 86, died this morning at Tri-Lakes Medical Center in Batesville. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Lisa Hollowell Bevan — 49, died Friday, Jan. 21, 2011, at her home in Batesville. Services were held Sunday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial followed in Forrest Memorial Cemetery in Batesville.
- Beatrice Davis — 89, died Saturday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Thomas Watkins Elliott — 76, died Friday, Jan. 21, 2011, at the University of Arkansas Medical Center in Little Rock, Ark. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday at First Presbyterian Church. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be from 5 until 7 this evening at Waller Funeral Home, and one hour prior to the service at the church.
- Edith Harding Jones — 89, died Saturday, Jan. 22, 2011, at her residence in Oxford. A private family graveside service was held Sunday, with burial in Yellowleaf Cemetery. Waller Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.
- Frances Edwards Oliver — 86, died Saturday, Jan. 22, 2011, at her home in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home in Oxford. Burial will follow in St. Peter’s Cemetery. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Jacalyn Diane Sills — 56, died Tuesday, Jan. 18, 2011, in Oxford. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Thursday at her home, located at 281 CR 323 in Taylor. Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Jack Walton Thrift — 80, died Sunday, Jan. 23, 2011, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 4 p.m. Tuesday at Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church in Oxford. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service in the church parish hall Tuesday. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Ole Miss rediscovered its outside shooting touch to open the second half and surged away from LSU for a 78-51 victory Saturday.
Valencia McFarland scored 21 points and hit two late free throws to seal the victory, and Ole Miss upset No. 23 Arkansas 69-65 on Sunday.
Ole Miss (9-9 overall, 2-4 in the Southestern Conference) rallied from an early 14-2 deficit to snap a four-game losing streak. (January 24, 2011, Page 6)
Oxford’s girls basketball team defeated West Point on Friday night to remain undefeated in District 1-5A play, while the Green Wave defeated the Oxford boys 69-60 in the nightcap. The Lady Chargers improved to 17-2 with the 72-57 win over West Point and then 18-2 with a 61-45 win over J.Z. George. (more…) (January 24, 2011, Page 8)
Meets at 5:30 p.m. Monday at the Lafayette County Chancery Building to have a preliminary discussion of Case No. 06-504, Franklin Farms, phase II. (January 23, 2011)
Officials from Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi will meet with the Oxford Board of Aldermen and the Lafayette County Board of Supervisors at 6 p.m. Monday at the Oxford Conference Center. Hospital officials will continue their discussion with the local boards on the hospital’s plans to build a new medical center in Oxford and their proposal to purchase the city and county’s interest in the existing hospital. The public is welcome to attend and ask questions. (January 23, 2011)
Will meet at noon Tuesday at the Oxford University Club. State Sen. Billy Hewes, president pro temp of the state Senate, will be the guest speaker. (January 23, 2011)