- Wesley Todd Alexander — 61, died Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2010. Services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Tutor Memorial Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in Bellevue Cemetery. Visitation will be from 4 until 8 this evening and from 10 a.m. until service time Saturday, all at the funeral home.
- Howard Andrews — 51, of Batesville died Monday, Nov. 29, 2010, at the Regional Medical Center in Memphis. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Eureka A.M.E. Zion Church in Batesville. Burial will follow in Eureka Cemetery. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at Cooley’s Mortuary and one hour prior to Sunday’s service at the church.
- Howard Gene Halverson — 72, died Thursday, Dec. 2, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Local funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service at the funeral home. Final funeral services will be Monday at 2 p.m. at East Clermont Lutheran Church in Postville, Iowa. Visitation will be prior to the service from 1:30 until 2 p.m. at the church. Burial will follow in East Clermont Lutheran Church Cemetery.
- William Lewis Miles — 81, of Water Valley, died Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2010, at the Yalobusha County Nursing Home. Visitation will be from noon until 2 this afternoon at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley, with a graveside service at Jumper’s Chapel in Yalobusha County immediately following the visitation.
Usually, several times a semester, a local organization of international residents now living in Oxford called Cook! Eat! Share! prepares a marvelous feast for the public that celebrates the food and culture of a country of one of the members.
This semester is all but over, but Cook! East! Share! has pulled together in time to create its first Jewish Table at 6 this evening at The Depot at the University of Mississippi. (December 3, 2010, Page 3A)
Ole Miss returns to Oxford to host an undefeated Southern Miss squad in a bout for in-state bragging rights on Saturday. (December 3, 2010, Page 8A)
The Oxford seventh- and eighth-grade boys basketball teams made a clean sweep of Pontotoc on Thursday. The seventh graders won 39-10 while the eighth graders won 48-29. (more…) (December 3, 2010, Page 9A)
Former Lafayette standout baseball player Hunter Mize has signed with Blue Mountain College after playing two seasons at Northeast Community College. While at NECC, Mize hit .304 with two home runs, two doubles and 35 RBIs. He also had a .423 on-base percentage last season. (December 3, 2010, Page 9A)
Adron Joseph “A.J.” Dillard — 83, died Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2010, at his residence. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Friday at the United Funeral Service Chapel in New Albany. Burial will follow in the Center Cemetery. Visitation will be from 4 till 8 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home. (December 2, 2010, Page 2A)
- Ted Roland Dority — died Saturday, Nov. 27, 2010. A memorial visitation will be held Thursday from 5 until 7 p.m. at Radney Funeral Home on Dauphin Street in Mobile.
Durand Scott scored 27 points to lead Miami to an 86-73 victory over Ole Miss on Tuesday night.
Miami (5-2) nearly wasted a 30-point halftime lead as the Rebels outscored the Hurricanes 26-6 during a late second-half run. Chris Warren hit consecutive 3-pointers, reducing the Miami lead to 79-70 with 4:10 remaining. (December 1, 2010, Page 6)
Two years ago, Chris White was a lightly recruited linebacker who garnered just two scholarship offers from Football Bowl Subdivision programs before deciding to play for Mississippi State.
It’s become pretty obvious the Bulldogs hit the jackpot.
White won the Cellular South Conerly Trophy on Tuesday night, an honor given to Mississippi’s top college football player. The other finalists were Jackson State quarterback Casey Therriault and Southern Miss quarterback Austin Davis. (December 1, 2010, Page 7)
Six players scored for the Oxford Park Commission’s 7-8 year-old Jazz, as hoops squad topped the Heat on Tuesday 22-2.
Channing Berry led the Jazz with eight points. In other 7-8 game on Tuesday, the Lakers topped the Grizzlies 24-6, while in the 9-10 league Grizzlies snuck past the Mavericks 8-7. On Monday in the 7-8 league, the Thunder topped the Bulls 12-10 and the Celtics beat the Suns 10-4. In the 9-10 league, the Thunder beat the Bulls 19-16. (December 1, 2010, Page 7)