Local columnist T.J. Ray writes that some of the biggest challenges to driving locally are not other cars, but actually people riding bicycles. He wonders about rules of the road and insurance as cyclists take their spots on the roadways. (December 9, 2010, Page 4)
- Rose M. Davis — 76, of West Helena died Sunday, Dec. 5, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at Roller-Citizens Funeral Home in West Helena. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Bonnie Ruth Russell DePriest — 75, died Monday, Dec. 6, 2010, at Webster General Hospital in Eupora. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow be in the Abbeville Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 6 to 8 this evening at the funeral home.
- Morris Ray Shirley — 69, died Monday, Dec. 6, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Services will be held at 2 this afternoon in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Oak Forrest Cemetery in Pontotoc. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
Cooking Columnist Malar Gandhi shares her secret Kulfi recipe and tells the history of the frozen treat in this week’s Eating Well. (December 8, 2010, Page 7)
Lafayette’s Jeremy Liggins and Demarkus Dennis highlighted the postseason awards and postseason teams that were selected recently in Class 4A.
Liggins, a junior, was named Player of the Year for the Region 2-4A team and the quarterback on the first team of the Mississippi Association of Coaches Class 4A team.
Dennis, also a junior, was named Offensive Player of the Year on the Region 2-4A team and first team running back on the MAC team. (December 8, 2010, Page 9)
Debbie Cook Hewlett writes to urge members of the community to share in the excitement of the Lafayette High School football team winning a state championship and going 16-0 by helping members of the team raise money for championship rings, while Joanne and Mark Wilkinson congratulate the Ole Miss Theater Department for an outstanding job with “A Christmas Carol.” (December 8, 2010, Page 4)
- Bonnie R. DePriest — 75, died Monday at Webster General Hospital in Eupora. Arrangements are incomplete with Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Darby Thompson Shelton — 52, died Monday, Dec. 6, 2010, at her home in Water Valley. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow at Tabernacle Cemetery. Visitation will be from 4 to 6 this evening at the funeral home.
Oxford’s girls soccer team played two of the best teams in the state over the weekend and fared well in both games. The Lady Chargers lost 2-0 to Ridgeland and tied Gulfport 0-0. Ridgeland is the defending Class 5A champion, while Gulfport won its district last season in Class 6A. Emily Meadows had seven saves in the loss to Ridgeland and then had 11 saves in the tie against Gulfport. Oxford’s defense was led by Maia Cotelo. Allison Lyon, Eden Sandlin and Maggie Mitchell were credited with solid overall play, while Meredith Sanford led the offense. Both Oxford teams will return to action Friday against Lafayette.
The Lady Chargers will play LHS at Ole Miss at 5 p.m., while the Chargers play the Commodores at 7. (December 7, 2010, Page 9)
The Oxford Booster Club will be selling DVD’s of the 2010 OHS football season as well as clothing and accessories. OHS boys basketball coach Drew Tyler will be the guest speaker at the meeting that will be held in the Oxford Commons at 5:30 p.m., Thursday. (December 7, 2010, Page 9)