Wayne F. Coleman — 88, died Friday, April 30, 2010, at the Mississippi State Veterans Home in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at the Pine Bluff Church of Christ in Oxford, with Bro. Bill Russell officiating. Burial will follow in the Pine Bluff Cemetery. Visitation will be held one hour prior to the service at the church. Coleman Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. (May 2, 2010)
Alzheimer’s Caregiver Group
The Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Caregiver support group will meet at 7 p.m. Monday at the Azalea Gardens Assisted Living Community, 100 Azalea Drive. The discussion will be “Caregiver Burnout: Signs and Symptoms.” For more information, contact the Three Rivers Area Agency on Aging at (877) 948-3090 or Jo Ann O’Quin, UM’s Department of Social Work, at 915-7199 or email@example.com. The meetings are open to all caregivers interested in those with Alzheimer’s and related memory loss disorders. (May 2, 2010)
Oxford and Ole Miss historian Jack Lamar Mayfield takes a look at the accomplishments of one of Oxford’s most distinguished citizens, Jacob Thompson as the University Museum, the city of Oxford and the Oxford-Lafayette County Heritage Foundation gets set to celebrate Thompson’s birthday with a special event on May 11. (April 30, 2010, Page 2B)
Treating skinned knees and managing playground politics is all in a day’s work for day care workers. Sheena Baker talks with local day care providers to find out how they’ve made conflict resolution a big part of their work the last few years. (April 30, 2010, Page 1B)
- Alice Louise Addor Sleeper, 82, died Thursday, April 29, 2010, at Boulder County Hospice. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at Crist Mortuary Chapel in Boulder. Burial will follow at Mountain View Cemetery.
- Susan Heatherly Henson, 54, died Wednesday, April 28, 2010. Services are scheduled for 2 p.m. today at Philadelphia Baptist Church. Burial will follow in Philadelphia Baptist Church Cemetery. Glenfield Funeral Home of New Albany is in charge of arrangements.
- The Rev. Connell “C.M.” Matthew White, 85, died Wednesday, April 28, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Monday at Harrisonville M. B. Church of Oxford. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday at Serenity-Martin Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford and one hour prior to the service at the church on Monday.
Lafayette opened the Class 4A playoffs in style with an 8-0 win over Cleveland thanks to an outstanding pitching performance by Jarrett Patton and three home runs from three different players. (April 30, 2010, Page 7A)
Lafayette’s tennis season came to an unfortunate end Thursday as the Commodores lost 5-2 to New Albany in the second round of the Class 4A playoffs. LHS ends the year at 10-4. (April 30, 2010, Page 8A)
The march to State continues for the Oxford High tennis team. On Thursday the Chargers knocked off the Hernando Tigers 7-0 in the second round of the MHSAA Class 5A playoffs. (April 30, 2010, Page 8A)
The members of the Oxford Cycling Club invite everyone interested to join them for a casual, conversational ride around Oxford at 6 p.m. Sunday. The ride begins at the Oxford Depot and will last for up to an hour. Bicyclists will travel on the new bike paths and quiet streets on campus and in town. Riders of all skill levels are welcome. For more information, visit http://LOUpathways.org/. (April 30, 2010)
- Jonathan Scott Franklin — 36, died Monday, April 26, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in the Garden of Memories at the funeral home. Visitation will be from 4 to 8 this evening at the funeral home.
- Thomas Burfoot Phillips IV — 22, of Georgetown, Washington, D.C., died Saturday, April 24, 2010. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday at Everly Wheatley Funeral Home in Alexandria. Friends are welcome to visit with the family beginning at 9 a.m. Saturday. Burial will follow at Ivy Hill Cemetery in Alexandria. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at the funeral home.
- Raymond Charles “R.C.” Townsend — 70, died Saturday, April 24, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Friday at East Providence M.B. Church in Oxford. Burial will follow at Browing Cemetery in Water Valley. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 this evening at the Serenity-Martin Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford.
- Connell “C.M.” White — 85, died Wednesday . Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.