Will meets for breakfast from 7:30 – 8:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Ole Miss Catering banquet suite, 123 Heritage Drive. Featured speaker is Doug Gurley, state director of Mississippi Small Business Development. Guests are invited. For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call Scott Thompson at 816-9898 or visit www.oxford-olemissrotary.com. (March 14, 2011)
Will meet at noon Tuesday at Oxford University Club. Michael Thompson, senior associate athletic director/communications and marketing for the University of Mississippi, will speak to the Club. (March 14, 2011)
Baptist Center for Cancer Care is sponsoring Renewal with Hope, a gathering for patients, their caregivers and friends from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Cancer Center, 504 Azalea Drive. Refreshments will be provided. For more information, call 513-961 (March 14, 2011)
The Lafayette County Board of Supervisors will meet at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the Lafayette County Chancery Building to discuss various issues, including Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi’s proposal to build a new hospital. (March 14, 2011)
The Oxford Emmaus and Cursillo Community will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday at Oxford-University United Methodist Church for a potluck dinner and a program. (March 14, 2011)
The Eastside MHV Club of the Mississippi Homemakers Volunteers of Lafayette County will meet at 6 p.m. Monday at the home of Jearlee Goolsby, 121 CR 204. Guests and new members are welcome. For more information, call Goolsby at 234-5462. (March 14, 2011)
The regularly scheduled meeting of the Oxford Planning Commission which was set for today at 5 p.m. has been canceled. A new special meeting date has been set for March 29 at 5 p.m. in the Oxford High School Commons. Site plans for the new Oxford High School will be reviewed at a public hearing. The community is invited. (March 14, 2011)
- Nancy Brewer — 67, died this morning at her home in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Nancy Kay Newton DeLeeuw — 75, died Sunday, March 13, 2011, at Baptist Trinity House Hospice in Collierville, Tenn. Memorial services will be held at noon Thursday at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church. Interment will follow in the courtyard at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church. Visitation will be Wednesday from 5 until 7 p.m. at Waller Funeral Home and again prior to the service from 11 a.m. until noon at the church.
- James Oscar Hutchinson Sr. — 72, died Friday, March 11, 2011, at his home. Graveside services will were held this morning at Southlawn Cemetery. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Sunday at George Funeral Home & Cremation Center in Aiken, S.C.
- Ervin Edward Nelson Jr. — 95, died Saturday, Feb. 12, 2011, in his daughter’s home in Scottsdale, Ariz. A memorial service will be held at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at the First United Methodist Church in Water Valley. Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley is in charge of arrangements.
- J.L. Smith — died Sunday at his residence in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- James Paul Weems — 92, died Thursday, March 10, 2011, in Oxford. Services were held Sunday in the Southern Funeral Home Chapel in Lexington. Burial followed at Mars Hill Cemetery in Winston County.
The Lafayette baseball team looked down and out at South Panola on Saturday, but after falling behind early, the Commodores rallied to claim a 21-14 victory over the host Tigers to improve to 5-2 on the year. (more…) (March 14, 2011, Page 7)