Ole Miss enhanced the season ticket package for the 2011 season with the addition of Boise State to the slate in the opener.
Ole Miss Athletics Director Pete Boone announced the move on Thursday. (May 14, 2010, Page 6A)
Offense was the name of the game for the Sharp Insurance Royals in their 15-6 win over the Rozier Hayes Cardinals in the Oxford Park Commission’s 13-14 year-old league Thursday night. In the other 13-14 game, the Bancoxford Insurance Services Cubs beat the Hampton Inn Twins 8-5.
In the 9-and-Under league, the Larson’s Big Star Red Sox doubled up the Plein Air Royals 8-4, while the Bert’s Plumbing Reds topped the Smith Building Supply Twins 9-7. In the 10-and-Under league, the Morgan White Insurance Rays beat the Hampton Inn hotel Cardinals 7-5, the First National Bank of Oxford Braves pounded the Rock Star Taxi Yankees 17-0, while the Morgan White Rays edged the Hampton Inn hotel Cardinals 7-5. Winning by forfeit in the league were the Red Sox over the Yankees.
In two 11-12 games, the Orioles edged Oxford Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Rays 7-6, while the McKeeson Royals pounded the Gilliland Orthodontics Yankees 17-2. (May 14, 2010, Page 7A)
The Oxford Music Teachers’ Association is hosting its 50th Honor’s Recital at 3 p.m. Sunday in Nutt Auditorium in the Music Building at the University of Mississippi. There will be a reception afterwards. Every year, the members of the association choose several students from their studios to participate in this concert. This yea, students will perform on the piano, cello and violin. (May 14, 2010)
Local physician Dr. Keith Mansel takes a look at high blood pressure and what it means to those who have it or have a chance to get it. He looks at diagnosis, evaluation and forms of treatment for hypertension. (May 13, 2010, Page 8A)
- Ronald Eugene Hays — 84, died Tuesday, May 11, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at Anchor Baptist Church.
- Theo Hilliard — 105, died Sunday, May 9, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Tallahatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Burial will follow in the Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Zella Mae Jones — 77, died today at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Russell King — 83, of Graceville died Sunday, May 9, 2010. Services will be held at 2 this afternoon at New Home Baptist Church. Burial will follow in Salem United Methodist Church Cemetery. The James & Lipford Funeral Home in Graceville is in charge of arrangements.
- Dorothy Jean McGee — 70, , died Sunday, May 9, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Philadelphia M.B. Church. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
Local columnist T.J. Ray takes on litter with a column showing how easy some folks must think it is to clean up trash since they don’t hesitate to put it out. Who among us is not guilty? (May 13, 2010, Page 4A)
The win closed out the non-conference schedule for the Rebels (35-15 overall). Ole Miss went 20-6 outside of league play this season. (May 13, 2010, Page 1B)
A spaghetti dinner fundraiser for the local Veterans Building will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday at Veterans Building, 125 Veterans Drive. Dine-in or carry-out plates available. Plates will contain spaghetti, cole slaw, bread, dessert and drink and cost $10 each. (May 13, 2010)
Lafayette County Democratic Party will meet at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Lafayette County Chancery Building on North Lamar just off the Square. Feel free to attend and bring your friends and family. For more information, visit www.lafayettedems.org. (May 13, 2010)