The Oxford Chargers defeated Grenada 63-52 in the first game of the Coach “C” Classic Saturday. Justin Fondren led the Chargers (8-3 overall) with 25 points and 11 rebounds. (more…) (December 13, 2010, Page 2B)
As the Lady Rebels prepare to host the 2011 Southeastern Conference Softball Championships May 12-14, the Ole Miss Athletics Department announced renovations to the Ole Miss Softball Complex and ticket packages for the three-day tournament.
This will mark the first time Ole Miss has hosted the eight-team, single-elimination tournament, which began in 1997. Arkansas served as host of last year’s tournament, while Alabama claimed the championship. Over the past decade, Ole Miss has hosted SEC Championships in cross country, men’s and women’s tennis, soccer, track and field and women’s golf. (December 13, 2010, Page 3B)
M.E. King writes to give a bit more information about a recent incident connected with the Ole Miss-Mississippi State football game and to call for the Southeastern Conference to ban cowbells once and for all. (December 13, 2010, Page 4A)
- Mollie Fairley — died at the Westerchester Nursing Home in Bronx, N.Y. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- John Philip Hester — 37, died Saturday, Dec. 11, 2010, at his home in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday at the Oxford Conference Center. Burial will follow in the Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be held Monday from 4 to 8 p.m. at Coleman Funeral Home.
- W.C. Hill — 71, died Saturday at the Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Cora Liggins — 67, died Saturday at her cousin’s residence in Abbeville. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Andrew Mayes — 58, died Thursday in Davenport, Iowa. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Joseph Edwin Nissen — 67, died Friday, Dec. 10, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10 a.m. Tuesday at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church. Burial will follow in Springdale Cemetery. Visitation will be Monday from 5:30 until 6:30 p.m. at the church. A Rosary Service will follow at 6:30. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
(December 12, 2010)
Local columnist Ryan Miller remembers days of playing Indiana Jones and using imagination and sticks to create fun before the big technology boom.
Walk down memory lane with him in today’s Oxford EAGLE. (December 10, 2010, Page 1B)
Historian Jack Lamar Mayfield writes this week about the invasion of Oxford by Union forces just before Christmas in 1862. (December 10, 2010, Page 2B)
No obituaries were submitted for publication in today’s edition of The EAGLE. (December 10, 2010, Page 2A)
Led by James Miller’s 24 points, the 13-15 Lakers were able to defeat the Grizzlies 38-26 Thursday night in Oxford Park Commission youth basketball action. In the other 13-15 game, the Celtics pounded the Heat 44-26. In the lone 9-10 game, the Grizzlies edged out the Heat 18-15. In the 11-12 league, the Grizzlies beat the Celtics 26-21, the Bulls edged the Heat 28-25, while the Lakers edged out the Thunder 34-31. (December 10, 2010, Page 7A)