Ole Miss sophomore Tyler Campbell finished the 2010 season as the NCAA punting champion besting 93 other kickers in the nation with a 46.37-yard average. (more…) (January 12, 2011)
- Bertha Booker Davis — 104, of Water Valley died Sunday, Jan. 9, 2011, at Desoto Healthcare in Southaven. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday in the Henry Chapel at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley, Bro. David Floyd and Gaylon Booker officiating. Burial will follow in Campground Cemetery. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Bobby R. Hamm — 68, died Monday, Jan. 10, 2011, at Covington County Hospital in Collins. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday at the First Pentecostal Church of Oxford, with the Rev. John D. Vanderford and the Rev. Kent McKenzie officiating. Burial will follow at Eastover Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be from 5 until 7 this evening at Waller Funeral Home of Oxford and again one hour prior to the service at the church.
- Monica Sherrayle Sayles — 19, of Water Valley died Thursday, Jan. 6, 2011. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley, with Pastor Bobby Hall officiating. Visitation will be from 5 until 7 this evening at the funeral home.
- Barry James Swain — 59, died Saturday, Jan. 8, 2011, at Tallahatchie County Hospital in Charleston. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday at the Snow Lake Community Center in Ashland. Visitation will be from 4 to 6 this evening at Waller Funeral Home in Oxford.
Ole Miss head coach Houston Nutt announced Tuesday the signing of Blinn Community College’s Philander Moore to a national letter of intent. He will enroll at Ole Miss in this month and begin competing for the Rebels in the 2011 season with three years of eligibility remaining. (more…) (January 12, 2011, Page 7A)
- Bobby Ray Hamm — 68, died Monday at Covington County Hospital in Collins. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Cora M. Jordan — 69, died Monday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Barney Steven McNeely — 61, of Lynchburg died Friday, Jan. 7, 2011. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at Peakland Baptist Church. Visitation will be held from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Friday at the church. Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory of Lynchburg is in charge of arrangements.
- June West — 91, died Jan. 3 at Graceland Care Center in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home of Oxford.
For a brief moment, Michael Dyer stopped running.
Oxford’s home District 1-5A games with West Point, originally scheduled for tonight, have been moved to Feb. 3. The games will be varsity only and it will be Senior Night in the OHS gym. (January 11, 2011, Page 6)
Local columnist Jimmy Reed wonders sometimes what and how God thinks, and he’s sure He has a sense of humor. While knowing that God knows best, Reed says he still asks for things. (January 11, 2011, Page 4)
Local columnist T.J. Ray writes that public input through attending public meetings – before decisions are made – is essential to making decisions about local programs and projects such as school and hospital expansion and growth. (January 11, 2011, Page 4)
- Barry Swain — 59, died Saturday at Tallahatchie General Hospital in Charleston. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Aubrey W. Walker, 86, died Sunday, Jan. 9, 2011, at his home in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home, with the Rev. Donnie Morgan and the Rev. Charles Lipe officiating. Burial will follow in the Clear Creek Cemetery. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the funeral home. A retired power plant operator at the University of Mississippi, he was born in Craighead County, Ark. He was a veteran of World War II where he served in the U.S. Army. He was a member of Clear Creek Baptist Church, the O.D. Smith Masonic Lodge. He was also a member of the York Rite and he was a Wahabi Shriner. He was an active member of the Lafayette County Volunteer Fire Department and the Lafayette County Serach and Rescue. Survivors include his wife, Marie F. Walker of Oxford; two daughters, Shirley Mason of Oxford and Rebecca Bennett Grier of Calhoun City; four grandchildren, two step-grandchildren, two great-grandchildren and four step-great-grandchildren. Memorials may be made to the Clear Creek Cemetery Fund, 50 CR 313, Oxford, MS 38655. For online condolences, visit www.wallerfuneralhome.com.