Aliyah Herod scored 18 points to lead the 11-12 Lakers to a 33-31 win over the Bulls Thursday night in Oxford Park Commission youth basketball. In the other 11-12 games, the Celtics edged the Heat 26-23, while the Suns defeated the Thunder 37-29. In the 13-15 league, the Celtics beat the Heat 37-26, while the Grizzlies defeated Lakers 42-33. In the lone 9-10 game, the Lakers beat the Grizzlies 21-12. (January 14, 2011, Page 8A)
Oxford girl’s soccer coach Josh Townsend confirmed that Oxford’s home games against Hernando and Starkville, originally set for tonight and Saturday, have been postponed. Re-scheduled dates were not known as of press time. (January 14, 2011, Page 8A)
A trio of Oxford Chargers football players are set to visit the Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns this weekend. Verbal commits DeShaun McNeal and Larry Pettis are expected to be joined by teammate Guy Cameron Billups on the trip. While McNeal and Pettis have verbally committed, Billups is hoping the visit will lead to an official offer. (more…) (January 14, 2011, Page 8A)
With an upcoming meeting planned to discuss possibilities for a new facility for Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi, Oxford EAGLE Publisher Emeritus Jesse P. Phillips take a look back at medical care in the community from the 1950s to today. (January 14, 2011, Page 4A)
MARY ANN FOLSON EALY – 99, died Sunday, Jan. 9, 2011, at Graceland Nursing Care in Oxford. Funeral serviceS will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at Everdale Baptist Church in Water Valley with the Rev. Larry Hervey, the Rev. Phillip Brackett and the Rev. Timothy Frieson officiating. Interment will be in the Oak Ridge Cemetery. Visitation will be held at Seven Oaks Funeral Home from 5 to 7 p.m. today.
ROBERT WHITTEN GRAVES JR. – 52, died Wednesday, Jan. 12, 2011, in his Batesville home. Services are scheduled for 2 p.m. this afternoon at the Batesville Presbyterian Church. Visitation will be held before the service. Wells Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
JENNIFER RENE HAMM SMITH – 26, died Wednesday, Jan. 12, 2011, at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday in the Waller Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford, with the Rev. Tom Marshall officiating. Burial will follow in Clear Creek Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 4 until 7 this evening at the funeral home. (January 14, 2011, Page 2A)
- Hazel Carroll Holland — 87, of Grenada died Monday, Jan. 10, 2011, at Grenada Living Center. Services were held this morning at Garner-Harper Funeral Home of Grenada. Burial followed at Woodlawn Cemetery.
- Jennifer Smith — 26, died Wednesday at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home.
Bettye H. Galloway writes to say that she’s paid taxes for years and feels like the Chancery Building parking lot should be available to her and other citizens regardless of whether they’re doing business in the building or not. (January 13, 2011, Page 4)
Ole Miss sophomore Tyler Campbell finished the 2010 season as the NCAA punting champion besting 93 other kickers in the nation with a 46.37-yard average. (more…) (January 12, 2011)
- Bertha Booker Davis — 104, of Water Valley died Sunday, Jan. 9, 2011, at Desoto Healthcare in Southaven. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday in the Henry Chapel at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley, Bro. David Floyd and Gaylon Booker officiating. Burial will follow in Campground Cemetery. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Bobby R. Hamm — 68, died Monday, Jan. 10, 2011, at Covington County Hospital in Collins. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday at the First Pentecostal Church of Oxford, with the Rev. John D. Vanderford and the Rev. Kent McKenzie officiating. Burial will follow at Eastover Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be from 5 until 7 this evening at Waller Funeral Home of Oxford and again one hour prior to the service at the church.
- Monica Sherrayle Sayles — 19, of Water Valley died Thursday, Jan. 6, 2011. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley, with Pastor Bobby Hall officiating. Visitation will be from 5 until 7 this evening at the funeral home.
- Barry James Swain — 59, died Saturday, Jan. 8, 2011, at Tallahatchie County Hospital in Charleston. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday at the Snow Lake Community Center in Ashland. Visitation will be from 4 to 6 this evening at Waller Funeral Home in Oxford.