Dr. J. Keith Mansel writes to express his concern about the location of the new Baptist hospital on Highway 6 West and the premature signing of a Memorandum of Understanding. (March 8, 2011, Page 4)
Local columnist Jimmy Reed found a way to jumpstart his literature class when teaching them about onomatopoeia — words that create a clearer meaning by suggesting certain sounds, or that can be used for rhetorical effect. (March 8, 2011, Page 4)
- Joan Wray Campbell — 80, of Pope died Sunday, March 6, 2011, at her home. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Wells Funeral Home Chapel in Batesville. Burial will follow in Shiloh Cemetery in Courtland. Visitation will be held from 5 to 8 this evening at the funeral home.
- David L. McCluskey — 54, of Banner died Monday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Arrangements are incomplete with Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford.
Led by six goals from Cole Calhoon and three from Josh Morgan, the Under-12 Tornados topped the Sounders 11-2 during Monday’s Oxford Park Commission soccer league action. (more…) (March 8, 2011, Page 8)
A visit from New Albany Monday at Avent Park didn’t turn out to be a positive for the Oxford JV tennis team. New Albany topped the Chargers 4-2 in matches, including three of four doubles matches. Callan Shinall earned the victory for the Chargers in boys singles, 6-3, 6-6 (7-2) over Dylan Mills. (more…) (March 8, 2011, Page 8)
Four Lafayette High lifters qualified for next month’s Class 4A state powerlifting meet with top three finishes this past weekend in the North Half meet held at Lexington-McClain. Lafayette finished tied third as a team in the event with 28 points. North Pontotoc also had 28 points. McClain won the overall North Half title with 44 points. (more…) (March 8, 2011, Page 8)
Mickey and Mary Smith write to recognize the city employees who help keep Oxford beautiful, while North Mississippi Regional Center Director Sandy A. Rogers writes to express the concern NMRC has about the possible relocation of the local hospital to a site west of Oxford. (March 7, 2011, Page 4A)
- Opal Thompson Martindale — 95, died Friday, March 4, 2011, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 this afternoon at Wells Funeral Home Chapel in Batesville. Burial will follow in Forrest Memorial Park. Visitation will be held from noon until service time at the funeral home.
- Jenks Maynard — 66, died Thursday, March 3, 2011, in McIntosh County, Ga. Services will be held today in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will precede the service from noon until 2 p.m. at the funeral home.
- Roger Ratliff — 65, died Saturday, March 5, 2011, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Services were held this morning in the Coleman Funeral Home chapel. Burial will follow in the Old Union Cemetery, CR 444, in Oxford.
Oxford track standout Sam Kendricks set the pole vault record at Southern Miss over the weekend with a jump of 15 feet, 1 inch. The Ole Miss signee accomplished the feat at the University of Southern Mississippi High School Invitational meet held Friday in Hattiesburg. Kendricks set the record despite wet conditions and standing water on the runway. (more…) (March 7, 2011, Page 8A)
Junior Kendall Bruning struck out a career-high 11 batters and Corrine Doornberg knocked in two runs to help the Ole Miss softball team down UTEP 6-4 on the final day of the North Texas Courtyard Classic on Sunday. (more…) (March 7, 2011, Page 8A)