Local columnist Jimmy Reed tells a humorous tale of French royalty and trying to do good. (January 18, 2011, Page 4)
Members of the Lafayette County DFCS write to thank those contributors who helped make Christmas Wish 2010 a big success, while Jeff Justis writes to question the meaning of a recent column by Jimmy Reed. (January 18, 2011, Page 4)
- Darra L. Christman — 45, died this morning at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Joyce Hill Culver — 81, died Saturday, Jan. 15, 2011, at her home in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 this afternoon in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Linda Irene Goodwin — 66, died Friday, Jan. 14, 2011, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services were held Sunday at Tutor Memorial Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford, with Bro. Kevin Franklin officiating.
- James “Buddy” Wesley Hudson — 73, died Saturday, Jan. 15, 2011, at his residence. Services will held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Wells Funeral Home in Batesville, with Rusty Robertson officiating. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service.
- Cora M. Jordan — 69, died Monday, Jan. 10, 2011, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Saturday at Paris-Yates Chapel on the University of Mississippi campus. Coleman Funeral Home assisted in local arrangements.
- David Lafargue — 73, died at his home Saturday. Arrangements are incomplete with Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Hellene Mize — 76, died Saturday, Jan. 15, 2011, at her residence in Tula. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday at Tula Baptist Church, with the Rev. Jimmy Sockwell and the Rev. Mark Hill officiating. Burial will follow in New El Bethel Cemetery. Visitation will be Tuesday from 5 until 7 p.m. at Waller Funeral Home and for 30 minutes prior to the service at the church.
- Ura Jane Barlow Parker — 98, died Saturday, Jan. 15, 2011, at her daughter’s home in Belden. Services were held this morning in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home in Oxford, with the Rev. Clay Farr, the Rev. James Richardson and the Rev. Matthew Pharis officiating. Burial followed in the Tula Cemetery.
- Marilyn Lesa Pegues — 45, died Sunday at her sister’s residence in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford.
- Floyd Stewart — 57, died Thursday, Jan. 13, 2011, at Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. Services will be held at 2 this afternoon at Hope Church, with the Rev. Michael Stewart officiating. Burial will be in Lee Memorial Park with military honors. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service at the church. Lee Memorial Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements.
- Verna Leigh Ellzey Vines — 70, died Thursday, Jan. 13, 2011, at Yalobusha General Hospital in Water Valley. Services were held Saturday at Wells Funeral Home Batesville, with the Rev. Jay Anderson officiating. Burial followed in Springdale Cemetery in Oxford.
The No. 18 Ole Miss women’s tennis team concluded a successful opening weekend to the 2011 season Sunday by winning five of six singles matches against Missouri at the Memphis Winter Invitational. For the weekend, the Rebels went 24-3 in singles and doubles at the Racquet Club of Memphis. (more…) (January 17, 2011, Page 7)
The Water Valley Blue Devils and Lady Blue Devils basketball squads got their District 2-3A seasons off to good starts with wins over South Pontotoc on Friday night. Water Valley’s girls were led by Ashley Phillips, who scored the game-winning basket on a layup at the buzzer in a 59-58 win. She finished with 22 points, while C.C. Phillips also scored 22 points. Haley Vance added 15 to account for all of the Lady Blue Devils’ scoring. Water Valley’s boys defeated South Pontotoc 75-47. (more…) (January 17, 2011, Page 8)
The Oxford basketball program had a great day on the hardwood on Friday, sweeping Saltillo. The Oxford boys cruised to a 91-49 victory while the Lady Chargers also won 72-51. (more…) (January 17, 2011, Page 8)
Generations columnist Joanne Wilkinson goes back into her past where she dreamed about the future in today’s Oxford Living. (January 14, 2011, Page 2B)
Knitting enthusiast and columnist Buffy Choinski explains the “boyfriend-sweater curse” in this week’s Oxford Living. (January 14, 2011, Page 2B)
Ole Miss defensive tackle Ted Laurent has accepted an invitation to play in the 86th East-West Shrine Game. The game will be held Jan. 22 at the Florida Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fla., kicking off at 3 p.m. CT on NFL Network. (more…) (January 14, 2011, Page 6A)