Stevie Little writes a guest column to tell the story of her family’s move to Oxford and life with their special needs child and sibling, John Milton Little. She writes about how Oxford offers so much for those with special needs and thanks those who’ve played key roles in her son’s life and those of others in need. (January 7, 2011, Page 4A)
Terry Johnson Sr. writes to comment on Gov. Haley Barbour’s recent controversial words and to encourage all of us to connect with someone different and develop meaningful relationships with others from different cultures. (January 7, 2011, Page 4A)
- Charles Loyd Calder — 68, died Tuesday, Jan. 4, 2011, at the Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday at Calvary Baptist Church in Coffeeville. Burial will follow in the Calvary Baptist Church Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at the Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley.
- Collie Patterson Crouch — 100, died Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2011, at Yalobusha Nursing Home in Water Valley. A graveside service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday in St. Peter’s Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 9:45 to 10:45 a.m. prior to the service on at Waller Funeral Home of Oxford.
- H. Glen Willard Jr. — 68, died Wednesday, Dec. 29, 2010, in Kyiv, Ukraine. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Friday at the Union Church of the Nazarene in Pontotoc County. Burial will follow at the Old Union Cemetery near Oxford. The family will meet at United Funeral Service in New Albany at 11 a.m. Friday before leaving for the church.
Not after the Rebels shot 69.6 percent in the second half, turning a close game into a 75-57 rout. (January 6, 2011, Page 6)
The Ole Miss men and women’s tennis teams will begin the 2011 season ranked No. 18 in the nation as the preseason ITA National Rankings were announced Tuesday by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association. (more…) (January 6, 2011, Page 7)
Ole Miss women’s tennis head coach Mark Beyers announced Wednesday the addition of Norwegian standout Caroline Rohde-Moe, who will join the 18th-ranked Rebels this semester. (more…) (January 6, 2011, Page 7)
Filling a critical need on a coaching staff that went through a major shakeup after a 5-7 season, Texas hired Mississippi State defensive coordinator Manny Diaz to do the same job with the Longhorns. (more…) (January 6, 2011, Page 6)
Dead birds and dead fish. Coincidence or incidental? That’s the question local columnist Deidra Jackson asks as she talks about a few ongoing stories with widespread coverage and widely varied explanations. Jackson urges us to seek the real truth and also to remember that we’re responsible for taking care of this Earth. (January 6, 2011, Page 4)
- Ruby Doyle Vinson Hall — 86, died Tuesday, Jan. 4, 2011, at her home in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home in Oxford. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be from 4 to 6 p.m. this evening at the funeral home.
- Sherlie Fay Sullivan Swann — 50, died Saturday, Jan. 1, 2011, at her home in Coffeeville. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at Ecru Baptist Church in Pontotoc County. Burial will take place at Warren Cemetery in Pontotoc County. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley.