- Pauline Cormier — 88, died Thursday, Feb. 10, 2011, at the Tunica County Nursing Home. A private service will be held at a later date. Wells Funeral Home of Batesville is in charge of arrangements.
- Michael Edward O’Halloran — 45, died Tuesday, Feb. 8, 2011, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. A memorial service will be held at a later date in Gautier. Coleman Funeral Home was in charge of local arrangements.
- Edwin C. Newman Jr. — 71, died Thursday, Feb. 10, 2011, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Saturday in the Waller Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in College Hill Cemetery. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
Historian and local columnist Jack Lamar Mayfield tells is what was going on around Oxford in 1893, the year the community film, “The Hanging of Big Todd Wade,” is set in. The movie premiers Saturday at the Oxford Film Festival. Mayfield has a part in the film. (February 11, 2011, Page 3B)
The Ole Miss women’s softball team dropped both games on opening day of the 2011 season at the Kajikawa Classic. Ole Miss lost to Utah in the opener and then fell to San Jose State on Thursday. (more…) (February 11, 2011, Page 7A)
Jean M. Shaw writes, on behalf of the L-O-U Homeless Task Force, to thank members of the community for helping make “Chili Bowl for the Soul” a success. (February 11, 2011, Page 4A)
- Marie Smith Pringle — 63, died Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2011, at her residence in Oxford. Services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Second Missionary Baptist Church in Oxford. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at Second Missionary Baptist Church. Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc is in charge of the arrangements.
- Teresa Ellis Shade — 62, died Sunday, Feb. 6, 2011, at her residence in Stem, N.C. A memorial service will be held at a later date. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Athlon Sports Communications, Inc. (“Athlon”), the Nashville-based integrated sports media company, announced today that The Oxford EAGLE will begin carrying “Athlon Sports” this month. (more…) (February 10, 2011, Page 6)
If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one to hear it, does it make a noise? Local columnist T.J. Ray takes that line of questioning and debtate in the world of traffic and laws and wonders about things like school warning lights flashing on the weekend and the lengths of parking spaces. (February 10, 2011, Page 4)
No obituaries were submitted for publication today. (February 9, 2011, Page 2)
The threat of snow and bad weather in the Oxford and Lafayette County area tonight will not cancel tonight’s game between the Ole Miss Rebels and LSU Tigers at C.M. “Tad” Smith Coliseum. Tipoff is set for 8 and the game can be seen locally on CSS. (more…) (February 9, 2011, Page 8)
The Jazz defeated the Lakers 16-14 to finish the 7-8 year-old Oxford Park Commission season with an 8-0 record.
In the other 7-8 game, the Thunder edged the Suns 10-8.
In the 9-10 game, the Mavericks topped the Lakers 17-15, while the Thunder beat the Celtics 27-21. (February 9, 2011, Page 10)