The Oxford Rebels, a 7-year old Select baseball team, will be holding tryouts for youth ages 7 or younger that have a birthday by April 30. The deadline to sign up for the tryout is Feb. 1. For more information about the tryout, contact Kyle Wicker at 816-2843. (January 5, 2011, Page 7)
Registration for the Oxford Park Commission’s spring soccer league has begun. The cost to participate is $50 for new players and $25 for returning players ages 4 to 14. For more information, contact C.J. Ketchum at (662) 232-2380. (January 5, 2011, Page 7)
Registration for the Oxford Park Commission’s spring baseball league is underway. The cost to participate is $50 and the league ranges from age 5 to 15. Children must be 5 by April 30 of 2011 to participate. For more information contact the OPC office at (662) 232-2380. (January 5, 2011, Page 7)
The Oxford Lady Chargers basketball squad avenged their lone loss of the season on Tuesday with a 53-52 double-overtime victory over Grenada. The Oxford boys lost 64-52 to Grenada in the nightcap. (more…) (January 5, 2011, Page 7)
Lamarcus Faulkner scored nine points to help lead the 9-10 year-old Lakers to a 19-17 win over the Bulls in Oxford Park Commission youth basketball action.
In two 7-8 games, the Lakers defeated the Heat 18-4, while the Jazz beat the Bulls 18-13. (January 5, 2011, Page 7)
Former Oxford resident Jo Middleton writes to tell how she’s left Oxford but its writers haven’t left her. She relates stories about authors from the community and wonders if she might have picked up a little of the “spirit” to use in a book of her own. (January 5, 2011, Page 4)
- Erma Lee Barnes — 89, died Wednesday, Dec. 29, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. A private service was held today at Oak Hill Cemetery in Water Valley. Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley was in charge of arrangements.
- Lillie “Seal” Crowley — 53, died Thursday, Dec. 30, 2010 at her residence in Oxford. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday at East St. Peters M.B. Church in Abbeville. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be from 5 to 6:30 this evening at Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Edwin Rode Flautt — 56, died Sunday, Jan. 2, 2011. Graveside services will be held at 2 this afternoon at Woodlawn Cemetery in Sumner. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service at the cemetery. Wilson & Knight Funeral Home of Greenwood is in charge of arrangements.
- Dewey David Saxton — 78, died on Saturday, Dec. 25, 2010, at his home in Lafayette County. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow in Oak Hill Cemetery. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Juanita “Nounce” Vaughn — 67, died Friday, Dec. 31, 2010, at her niece’s residence in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Tallahatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Burial will follow be in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.
Ole Miss may add another quarterback to the roster if former West Virginia quarterback Barry Brunetti chooses to play for the Rebels and coach Houston Nutt. The 6-foot, 200-pound Brunetti, who could enroll at Ole Miss for the spring semester, is expected to decide where he will play in the coming days. The Memphis native was the backup to Geno Smith for the Mountaineers this past season as a freshman and decided to transfer after his mother, Elna, was in a car accident this past year.
According to the (Memphis) Commercial Appeal, the decision to transfer has been brewing for quite a while now.
(January 4, 2011, Page 6)
Bad gossip and good storytelling share, local columnist Jimmy Reed writes, a characteristic that makes one more injurious and the other more interesting. Reed relates a recent discussion with some of his students and makes the point that there’s no such thing as good gossip. (January 4, 2011, Page 4)
GRADY “PETE” MATHIS BROWNING JR. – 73, died Satuday, Jan. 1, 2011, at Methodist University Hospital in Memphis. Funeral services will be Tuesday at 11 a.m. at North Oxford Baptist Church with the Rev. Gary Richardson officiating. Burial will follow in North Oxford Cemetery. Visitation will be today from 5 to 7 p.m. at Waller Funeral Home and again prior to the service from 10 until 11 a.m. at the church.
LILLIE “SEAL” CROWLEY – 53, caregiver, died Thursday, Dec. 30, 2010, at her residence in Oxford. Visitation will be today from 5 to 6:30 p.m. at Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home. Funeral services will be Wednesday at 1 p.m. at East St. Peter’s M.B. Church in Abbeville with the Rev. William Woods officiating. Burial will follow in church cemetery. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
LUKE “TODDY” CLIFTON LEE HYLAND – 64, died Thursday, Dec. 30, 2010, in Batesville. Funeral services were held on Saturday, Jan. 2, 2011, at Tutor Memorial with the Rev. Joey Swords officiating. Burial followed at County Line Baptist Church in Pontotoc. Tutor Memorial Funeral Home of Oxford was in charge of the arrangements.
MICHAEL CARL LADD – 53, of Como, died Tuesday, Dec. 28, 2010, at his home. Funeral services were held on Sunday, Jan. 2, at 1 p.m. at Davis Chapel United Methodist Church in Sardis with the Rev. Dayna Goff officiating. Interment followed in Davis Chapel Cemetery under the direction of Wells Funeral Home of Batesville.
NANCY BRACKEN LOVE — 65, of Madison died Tuesday, Dec. 28, 2010, at St. Dominic‘s Hospital. Funeral services were held at Grace Episcopal Church on East Peace Street in Canton today. Burial and a graveside service will be held at a later date in Oxford Cemetery in Oxford, Md. Sebrell Funeral Home in Ridgeland is assisting with arrangements.
MARGARET ANN RUSSELL PARTRIDGE – 76,, died Saturday, Jan. 1, 2011, at Graceland Care Center in Oxford. A memorial service will be Wednesday at 2 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church with the Rev. John Semmes officiating. Burial will follow in Eastover Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be prior to the service from noon until 2 p.m. at the church. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
WILLIAM DAVID “SPRAD” SPRADLIN – 59, of Pendleton, Ind. and formerly of Gilboa, Ind. died Thursday, Dec. 30, 2010, at Meadowbrooke Rehabilitation in Anderson, Ind. Funeral services will be 1:30 p.m. Tuesday at Love-Heitmeyer Funeral Home in Leipsic with Pastor Tad Finch officiating. Burial will follow in Harman Cemetery in Gilboa with military rites by the Ottawa American Legion and VFW. Visitation will be from 2 to 8 p.m. today and one hour prior to service on Tuesday.
JUANITA “NOUNCE” VAUGHN – 67, died Friday, Dec. 31, 2010, at her residence in Oxford. Funeral service arrangements will be announced later by Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home.
CHRISTOPHER T. WOODARD – 31, died Tuesday, Dec. 28, 2010, in Waterford. Funeral services were held Dec. 31, 2010, at Holly Springs Funeral Home with the Rev. Douglas Bell officiating. Burial followed at Anchor Baptist Cemetery. (January 3, 2011, Page 2)