Members of the Ole Miss baseball team will be on hand to sign autographs and posters at the annual “Meet the Rebels” event prior to Saturday’s men’s basketball game against Tennessee. (more…) (January 27, 2011, Page 7)
Charles and MaryJane Dollar write to comment on the low turnout and lack of local officials at the recent Martin Luther King birthday celebration, while Peggy Nance writes to relate her story of a kind unnamed citizen who makes her feel good about her new hometown. (January 27, 2011, Page 4)
Luisa Arico, Eating Well columnist, shares her recipe for chilly days. (January 26, 2011, Page 8)
- Jewell Cobb Bains — 86, died Monday, Jan. 24, 2011, at Tri Lakes Medical Center in Batesville. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home in Oxford. Burial will follow in Springdale Cemetery. Visitation will be Thursday from 6 until 8 p.m. at the funeral home.
- Geraldine “Jerri” Kendall Bolen — 66, died Monday, Jan. 24, 2011, at her residence in Oxford. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday at Willow Springs Assembly of God Church in Enid. Burial will follow in Bethel Cemetery. Visitation will be from 5 to 8 this evening at the church and one hour prior to the services Thursday. Wells Funeral Home of Batesville is in charge of arrangements.
- Frances Waits Brown — 72, died Monday, Jan. 24, 2011, at Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Ga. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at First Baptist Church. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be from 4 until 7 this evening at Waller Funeral Home and again for one hour prior to the service at the church.
- Robert E. Dooley — 70, of Oxford died this morning at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Arrangements are incomplete with Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford.
Gail Brown writes to make the case for and to urge support for Senate Bill 2127, which would make deliberate, malicious torture of a domesticated dog or cat a first-offense felony in Mississippi. (January 26, 2011, Page 4)
- Earline Bramlett Bell, 74 of Oxford died Saturday, Jan. 22, 2011, at Baptist East in Memphis. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at National Funeral Home in Clarksdale. Burial will follow in Memorial Gardens Cemetery. Visitation will be held for three hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Frances Waits Brown, 72, died Monday at Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Ga. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home.
- Patricia Wilkerson of Oxford died Thursday, Jan. 20, 2011. A memorial service will be held at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, followed by communion. A reception for her friends and colleagues will be held for one hour prior to the service in the parish hall. Memorials may be made to St. Peter’s Episcopal Church Memorial Fund; 113 South 9th Street; Oxford, MS 38655.
The Ole Miss QB Club will host its annual signing day meeting at the Inn at Ole Miss on Feb. 2. Doors will open at 8 a.m. A continental breakfast will be served during the morning and lunch will be served at 11:30. Chuck Rounsaville and Yancy Porter of the Ole Miss Spirit will be present at the meeting to keep members up to date on which players sign with the Rebels. (more…) (January 25, 2011, Page 8)