The Mid-Town Farmers’ Market is open on Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Mid-Town Shopping Center on North Lamar Boulevard. (September 6, 2011)
The Piecemakers Quilt Guild will meet at 1 p.m. Saturday in the Fellowship Hall of First Presbyterian Church. The program will be a special 9 Patch Quilt and additional quilting tips will be shared. Guests and visitors are welcome. (September 6, 2011)
The members of American Legion Post 55 will meet Thursday at the Veteran’s Building on Veteran’s Boulevard in Oxford. Supper and fellowship will be at 6 p.m., followed by the business meeting at 7. All veterans are invited. (September 6, 2011)
The Oxford-Lafayette County Chamber of Commerce’s Chamber After Hours will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday at Magnolia Rental. (September 6, 2011)
Members of this organization devoted to women’s scholarship and education will meet in the home of June Rosentreter at 12:30 p.m. Thursday. Mary Freeman will serve as co-hostess. (September 6, 2011)
The Exchange Club of Oxford will meet at noon Thursday the Ole Miss Catering site on Heritage Drive. In honor of baby safety month, guest speaker will be Katie Morrissette and Kathryn Shoalmire of Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. (September 6, 2011)
The Lafayette County Republican Women will meet for lunch at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday in the Oxford University Club. The speakers will be: Brad Mayo, candidate for Mississippi House seat No. 12; Todd Wade, candidate for state Senate No. 9; and Steve Simpson, candidate for state Attorney General. (September 6, 2011)
Meets for breakfast from 7:30 – 8:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Ole Miss Catering banquet suite, located at 123 Heritage Drive. As part of Rotary’s New Generations Month, the featured speaker will be Angela Rutherford with UM’s Center for Excellence in Literacy Instruction. Guests are invited to attend. For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call Scott Thompson at 816-9898 or visit www.oxford-olemissrotary.com. (September 6, 2011)
- The Rev. William A. Kelley — 72, died Sunday at the Mississippi State Veterans Home in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Nannie Seale Mayfield — 89, died Monday, Sept. 5, 2011, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home in Oxford. Burial will follow in St. Peter’s Cemetery. Visitation will precede the service for two hours at the funeral home.
- The Rev. David Eugene Rhea — 78, died Sunday, Sept. 4, 2011, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday at Oxford-University United Methodist Church. Burial will follow in the Como-Friendship Cemetery in Como. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the church. Coleman Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Frances Delia “Billie” Rotenberry — 97, died Sunday, Sept. 4, 2011, at Yalobusha General Hospital in Water Valley. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow in the Coffeeville City Cemetery. Visitation will be held on from 6 to 8 this evening at the funeral home.
- Patrick Luke Griffin Sr. — 37, of Pontotoc died Friday, Sept. 2, 2011, at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. Services were held on Sunday at Tutor Memorial Funeral Home in Pontotoc. Burial followed in Guinn Cemetery.
- Ruby Bernice McGee — 92, died Sunday at Graceland Care Center in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Benson “Ben” Dion Wright — 34, died Thursday, Sept. 1, 2011, at the University Medical Center in Jackson. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday at Eureka A.M.E. Zion Church in Batesville. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held from 3 to 6 p.m. Tuesday at Philadelphia M.B. Church in Oxford. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford is in charge of arrangements.