Joyful Generation of Anchor Baptist Church will hold its annual fish fry and auction from 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday, with the live auction beginning at 5:30. Plates are available for an $8 donation and includes fish, fries, slaw, dessert and drink. Carry-outs will be available. Items being auctioned off will include a handmade quilt, a signed football and baseball, household items and gift cards. Door prizes will be given out every 15 minutes. Homemade cakes and pies will also be available to purchase. The church is located on Highway 7 South in Water Valley. (March 31, 2011)
- James Hugh Cross — 83, died Friday, March 18, 2011, at the Mississippi State Veterans Home in Oxford. A memorial service will be held Saturday at 11 a.m. in the West Augusta United Methodist Church, in West Augusta, Va., with burial to follow in the West Augusta Cemetery.
- Bernice Easley Embry — 96, died Wednesday, March 30, 2011, at the Calhoun Health Services Nursing Home in Calhoun City. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at Parker Memorial Funeral Home Chapel in Bruce, with Elder Herman Clark and son Robert Embry officiating. Burial will follow in the Bruce Cemetery. Visitation will be from 5 to 8 this evening at the funeral home.
- Randle “Randy” O’Neal Johnson — 38, died Friday, March 25, 2010. Services will be held at noon Saturday at Clear Creek M.B. Church, with the Rev. Bobby Hall officiating. Burial will follow at New Hope M.B. Church in Oxford. Visitation will be Friday from 1 to 7 p.m. at Serenity-Martin Funeral Home, with family present from 5 to 7.
Due to technical difficulties, home delivery of today’s edition of The EAGLE may be later than usual in some areas. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. (March 30, 2011)
India Night 2011, “Jai Ho,” will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. Saturday at the Gertrude Castellow Ford Center on the campus of the University of Mississippi. India Night is a major annual event organized by the Indian Students Association of Ole Miss. It showcases classical and popular Indian dance and music through a variety of performances. Performances will be featured by Ole Miss students as well as by students from the community and other universities. After the two-hour of performances, delicious Indian cuisine, featuring a variety of flavors is served. Everyone in the community is invited to come out and enjoy a night filled with captivating performances, beautiful music and authentic cuisine. Tickets are $7 and are available at the UM Box Office and at the door. For more information, contact Manasi Desai at email@example.com. (March 30, 2011)
- Caroline DeSaussure “Dessie” Anderson Caulfield — 94, of Water Valley died Monday, March 28, 2011, at her home. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday at First Presbyterian Church of Water Valley. Burial will follow in the Oak Hill Cemetery. Visitation will be held Wednesday from 6 until 8 p.m. at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley.
- Sarah Lloyd — 96, died Monday at Tri-Lakes Medical Center in Batesville. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Sardis.
- Bentley Baker Crawford — 87, died Friday, March 25, 2011, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday at the First Presbyterian Church in Oxford. Burial will be held at 3 in the Odd Fellows Rest Cemetery in Aberdeen. Visitation will be held from 9:30 to 11 a.m. prior to the service at the church. Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Randale Johnson — 38, of Oxford died Friday at the North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Kermit Frazier Shotts — 63, died Tuesday, March 22, 2011, in Olive Branch. A private family service was held at the University of Mississippi Chapel. Brantley Funeral Home of Olive Branch was in charge of arrangements.
- Sallie H. Sledge — 78, died Sunday, March 27, 2011, at Primacy Healthcare & Rehab Center in Memphis. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford. Burial will follow in Bellevue Cemetery on Highway 6 East outside of Oxford. Visitation will be held for three hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Samuel Swinney — 83, died Tuesday, March 22, 2011, in Tulsa. A graveside service will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday at Rose Hill Memorial Park in Tulsa. Visitation will be from noon to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Reynolds Funeral Service in Tulsa.
- Mary Nina Walton — 77, died Friday, March 25, 2011, at Landmark of DeSoto Care Center in Horn Lake. Services were held Sunday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial followed in the Broadstreet Cedar Grove Cemetery in Yalobusha County.
The prognosis is mixed on Baptist Memorial Health Care Corp.’s effort to build a new hospital in Oxford because of a rough spot in negotiations with local government boards because of site options. News Editor Jonathan Scott takes a closer look at the ongoing issue and says that an open debate and the availability of information will help all involved understand the process. (March 18, 2011, Page 4A)
There’s no doubt about one thing the Girl Scouts have learned to do better than their Boy Scout counterparts – pick items to sell for fundraising projects. News Editor Jon Scott has seen both sides, from his days selling flares as a Boy Scout to his current father role in selling Girl Scout cookies, and said there’s no doubt which one does the best. (February 18, 2011, Page 4A)
It’s just a coincidence – News Editor Jonathan Scott isn’t into New Year’s resolutions – but Scott is planning to take part in a community program offered by Baptist Memorial Hospital titled “Healthy You, Healthy L.O.U.” It’s a plan to help members of the community to develop a healthy lifestyle, something Scott feels certain will be a reward well worth the effort. (January 5, 2011, Page 4)