ESPN’s “College Game Day” will be in the Grove next Saturday. “For the first time in the pre-game’s show’s history, it will visit Oxford, and make camp inside a sea of tents in the heart of one of college football’s most iconic tailgating spots when No. 10 Ole Miss hosts No. 3 Alabama,” according to a story that was posted this evening on the ESPN website. (September 28, 2014)
No obituaries were submitted for publication today. (September 27, 2014, Page 3)
- Annie Lois Costephens — 70, died Monday, Sept. 22, 2014, at her home in Abbeville. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at Smith Chapel CME Church in Abbeville. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. Friday at the Serenity-Martin Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford.
- Earl Lee Yarber — 87, died Thursday, Sept. 18, 2014, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Greater St. John MB Church. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Friday at Hurricane Creek Primitive Baptist Church. Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc is in charge of the arrangements.
- Michael Christopher “Chris” Yarber — 42, died Friday, Sept. 19, 2014, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Tallahatchie Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Burial will follow in Jordan Chapel C.M.E. Church Cemetery. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
In honor of Banned Books Week, News Editor Jonathan Scott takes a look at some of the books that have been at the top of the list through the years and also thanks local groups, businesses and organizations which have fought the fight against banning books and the right to express our opinions. (September 25, 2014, Page 4A)
- Sarah Katherine Gray Chatham — 61, died Sunday, Sept. 21, 2014, in Biloxi. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Bradford-O’Keefe Funeral Home on Pass Road in Biloxi. Burial will follow at the Biloxi National Cemetery. Visitation will be held two hours prior to the services at the funeral home.
- Raymond Lee Cox — 89, died Monday, Sept. 22, 2014, at the Mississippi State Veterans Home in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday in the Henry Chapel of the Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow in the Pine Crest Memorial Cemetery in Yalobusha County. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Annie Costephens — 70, died this morning at her home in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with the Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.
More people in our community are one the edge of being homeless. As a result, several agencies in town are scrambling to help those in need of a home. (September 21, 2014, Page 1A)
LOU-HOME will host a free workshop from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Lafayette County & Oxford Public Library for those thinking about owning a home. (September 21, 2014, Page 1A)
- Bruce Payne Hellmann — 63, died Thursday, Sept. 18, 2014, in Corolla, N.C. No services are planned at this time. Twiford Funeral Home of Manteo, N.C., is in charge of arrangements.
- Michael Christopher Yarber — 42, died Friday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford.
The iconic red, British-style phone booth on the Square serves as another link to our town’s namesake in England. And the phone booth allows anyone to make a free local call. (September 21, 2014, Page 1A)