- Ralph Leon “Duck” Holland — 86, died Friday, Dec. 5, 2014, at Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. A private memorial was held Sunday in Tupelo.
This was the week back in 1941 that stunned Oxonians when they heard the news that Japan had attacked Pearl Harbor. It was also the week over the last several decades when the community get ready to launch the Crimestoppers program and the Oxford Medical Ministries Clinic. (December 10, 2014, Page 1A)
- Maurice D. Luker — 94, died Tuesday, Dec. 9, 2014, at the Mississippi State Veterans Home in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home in Oxford. A graveside service will follow in Memphis Memory Gardens at 2 p.m. Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday the funeral home in Oxford.
- Delbert Ross — died Monday, Dec. 8, 2014, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. A graveside service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at Oak Hill Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley.
- Virgie Swinney — 79, died this morning at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Anne Marie Grace “Annie Grace” Williams — infant daughter of Christine and Jarrett Williams, died Monday, Dec. 8, 2014, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. A private funeral mass will be held at St. John The Evangelist Catholic Church. Burial will follow at a later date at Griffin Point Cemetery in Moss Point. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of local arrangements.
- Maurice Dethelle Luker — 94, died this morning at the Mississippi State Veterans Home in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Lucille Wilsford Fyfe Wilson — 97, died Sunday, Dec. 7, 2014, in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at St. George’s Episcopal Church in Clarksdale, with burial to follow at Oakridge Cemetery. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service at the church. Meredith-Nowell Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
John Shelby Pace Jr — 79, died Saturday, Dec. 6, 2014, at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Tuesday at the Huntsville Church of Christ near Kilmichael, with Nathan Wright officiating. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the church. Oliver Funeral Home of Winona is in charge of arrangements. (December 8, 2014, Page 2)
Last week, the Lafayette County Board of Supervisors approved implementing an amended version of the 2012 International Building Code, similar to what the city of Oxford approved earlier this year. The new regulations are expected to ensure quality construction and improve property values. (December 7, 2014, Page 1A)
The historic L.Q.C. Lamar House offers visitors a glimpse into the life of one of Oxford’s most famous residents, as well as peek into the city’s past. (December 7, 2014, Page 1A)
Oxford Mayor Pat Patterson suggested Friday that the city needs to “slow things down” on its effort to construct a parking garage downtown. (December 7, 2014, Page 1A)
- Jimmy E. Cannon — 67, died Wednesday, Nov. 26, 2014. Services were held Tuesday at the Memory Lane Funeral Home in Crown Point. Burial, with military honors, followed at Memory Lane Memorial Park.