- The Rev. Arthur Herod — 91, died this morning at his residence in Abbeville. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges Funeral Home in Oxford.
Supporters of an initiative to legalize marijuana in Mississippi are gathering signatures here and around the state to put the issue before the voters. (January 18, 2015, Page 1A)
Oxford High School students and members of Theatre Oxford performed during this weekend’s Mississippi Theatre Association festival that was held in Oxford this year. (January 18, 2015, Page 1A)
If you love to eat and also enjoy helping the community, Oxford Restaurant Week may be the event for you. Set for Jan. 25-31, Oxford Restaurant Week is a weeklong celebration of local food and charities. Every time you dine at a participating restaurant that week, you’ll have the opportunity to vote for one of Oxford Restaurant Week’s local charities. (January 18, 2015, Page 1A)
- Dorothy Jane Stokes — 72, died Thursday, Jan. 15, 2015, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services were held Saturday at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley, with Rev. Irvin Ray Phillips officiating. A repast followed the service at Everdale Missionary Baptist Church in Water Valley.
- Lucy Gipson — 61, died Thursday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Floyd Junior White — 82, died Tuesday, Jan. 13, 2015, at Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at Antioch Freewill Baptist Church. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 to 8 this evening at the Tutor Memorial Funeral Home of Pontotoc and for one hour prior to the service at the church.
News Editor Jonathan Scott found out firsthand how helpful first-responders are when one of his vehicles caught fire recently. Scott tells the story of his problem and about all of the assistance he received. (January 16, 2015, Page 4)
- Burl Hunt — 90, died Friday, Dec. 19, 2014. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service.
Developers of what would eventually become Oxford Commons got their initial rezoning request approved by the Oxford Planning Commission this week back in 2002. And 66 years ago, Oxford was buzzing with the news that a film crew from Hollywood might be coming to town to film some scenes for a movie version of William Faulkner’s latest novel, “Intruder in the Dust.” (January 14, 2015, Page 1)
- Robert Franklin Cooper Jr. — 101, died Monday, Jan. 12, 2015, in Memphis. Services will be held at 12:30 p.m. Friday at First Presbyterian Church Chapel in Jackson. Lakewood Funeral Home in Jackson is in charge of arrangements.
- James Hamilton “Jimmy” Lear Jr. — 83, died Monday, Jan. 12, 2015, in Oxford. Services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Friday at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church in Indianola. Visitation will be held from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Thursday at the Lear home at 200 East Parkway in Indianola, and then following the service in the Parish Hall. Waller Funeral Home in Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Mae Vera Robinson — 81, died Monday, Jan. 12, 2015, at Oxford Health and Rehab in Oxford. A private memorial service will be held at a later date. Coleman Funeral Home in Oxford was in charge of local arrangements.
- Geraldine “Jewel” Slack — 61, died Monday, Jan. 12, 2015, at her residence. Services will be held at noon Friday at East Providence MB Church. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements.
- Rosa Lee Woods — 68, died at the North Mississippi Regional Center in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with the Serenity-Martin Funeral Home in Oxford.