The mid-term elections will be here in little over a month, but you still have time to register to vote if you haven’t. This week’s Sunday Focus feature takes a look at the local elections and come recent complaints made about the process. (September 28, 2014, Page http://oxfordeagle.ms.newsmemory.com/?selDate=20140928&goTo=a1)
The “Hotty, Toddy” cheer has been around for generations, and the origins of this instantly recognizable chant are explored in this week’s edition of “Only In Oxford.” (September 28, 2014, Page 1A)
- Tracy Harland “Mountain Man” Enlow — 48, died Friday, Sept. 26, 2014, at his home near Oxford. Services will be held at 2 this afternoon at Pleasant Dale Baptist Church in Thaxton, with Bro. Wayne Logan and Bro. Tommy Inmon officiating. Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Marie H. Redmond — 75, died Saturday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford.
ESPN’s “College Game Day” will be in the Grove next Saturday. “For the first time in the pre-game’s show’s history, it will visit Oxford, and make camp inside a sea of tents in the heart of one of college football’s most iconic tailgating spots when No. 10 Ole Miss hosts No. 3 Alabama,” according to a story that was posted this evening on the ESPN website. (September 28, 2014)
No obituaries were submitted for publication today. (September 27, 2014, Page 3)
- Annie Lois Costephens — 70, died Monday, Sept. 22, 2014, at her home in Abbeville. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at Smith Chapel CME Church in Abbeville. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. Friday at the Serenity-Martin Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford.
- Earl Lee Yarber — 87, died Thursday, Sept. 18, 2014, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Greater St. John MB Church. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Friday at Hurricane Creek Primitive Baptist Church. Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc is in charge of the arrangements.
- Michael Christopher “Chris” Yarber — 42, died Friday, Sept. 19, 2014, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Tallahatchie Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Burial will follow in Jordan Chapel C.M.E. Church Cemetery. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
In honor of Banned Books Week, News Editor Jonathan Scott takes a look at some of the books that have been at the top of the list through the years and also thanks local groups, businesses and organizations which have fought the fight against banning books and the right to express our opinions. (September 25, 2014, Page 4A)
- Sarah Katherine Gray Chatham — 61, died Sunday, Sept. 21, 2014, in Biloxi. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Bradford-O’Keefe Funeral Home on Pass Road in Biloxi. Burial will follow at the Biloxi National Cemetery. Visitation will be held two hours prior to the services at the funeral home.
- Raymond Lee Cox — 89, died Monday, Sept. 22, 2014, at the Mississippi State Veterans Home in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday in the Henry Chapel of the Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow in the Pine Crest Memorial Cemetery in Yalobusha County. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Annie Costephens — 70, died this morning at her home in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with the Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.
More people in our community are one the edge of being homeless. As a result, several agencies in town are scrambling to help those in need of a home. (September 21, 2014, Page 1A)