County officials were hoping to get an official burn ban in place for Lafayette County this morning at a special meeting of the Board of Supervisors; however, not enough supervisors were at the meeting to reach the quorum needed to approve the ban.
Three out of five supervisors are necessary to vote on anything official. Supervisors Robert Blackmon and Lloyd Oliphant were the only supervisors present at the meeting.
The item will be placed on the agenda for Monday’s regular meeting at 9 a.m. at the Chancery Building. (September 30, 2010, Page 1)
Staff Writer Alyssa Schnugg relates the joys and worries of becoming a mother and, as in her case, becoming a grandmother. (September 30, 2010, Page 4)
The last day to register to vote in the upcoming general election on Nov. 2 is this Saturday.
The Lafayette County Circuit Clerk’s Office will be open from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday to accommodate last-minute voter registrations.
Those wishing to vote absentee must have their ballots mailed in enough time for them to be at the Circuit Clerk’s Office by Nov. 1. The office will be open 8 a.m. to noon on Oct. 23 and Oct. 30 to allow voters to come in and vote absentee. (September 29, 2010, Page 1)
A Lafayette County jury took four hours to deliver a guilty verdict against a former Oxford man, charged with molesting his 16-year-old foster child.
David Campbell, 46, was originally charged with fondling by a person in a position of trust or authority and sexual battery by a person in a position of trust or authority. The jury acquitted Campbell on the sexual battery, but found him guilty on the fondling charge. (September 28, 2010, Page 1)
When The Lanes bowling alley burned down last week, more than just bowling shoes and pins were destroyed.
“There was so much memorabilia up in that attic,” owner Gary Churchill said Monday about Oxford’s nearly 50-year-old bowling alley. “It’s just heart breaking”
Churchill owned the business, but rented the space from Robert and Kay Churchill, his aunt and uncle, who owned the building that housed the bowling alley and the Brass Monkey, which was owned separately by Chris Phillips and Ricky Bowles. (September 28, 2010, Page 1)
During its regular meeting Friday, the Oxford School Board approved a motion to have Lafayette County School District Superintendent Mike Foster head up the Oxford-Lafayette School of Applied Technology.
The city and county school districts will split the cost of Foster’s $10,000-a-year raise. (September 27, 2010, Page 1)
Whirlpool is working with the Mississippi Department of Environment Quality to clean up its former Oxford location.
To make sure the property is safe as well as marketable, Whirlpool has entered into an agreement with MDEQ to participate in its Brownfields Voluntary Cleanup and Redevelopment Act to clean up an area in the defunct plant that showed the presence of hydraulic fluid, which has contaminated a 500-foot square foot area. (September 27, 2010, Page 1)
Local lawmakers are hoping Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks will consider putting off the planned Oct. 31 closing of George P. Cossar State Park on Enid Reservoir.
Local legislators are asking to be given some more time to come up with other solutions to the funding dilemma that’s causing the park to be running at an annual deficit of $300,000. (September 24, 2010, Page 1A)
The Lafayette County Detention Center has committed some violations of its own, according to a food facility inspections report issued Thursday by the Mississippi State Department of Health.
The jail’s kitchen earned a “C” rating by inspector Washington MacCarthur after a surprise inspection on Sept. 16.
According to the report, the jail had seven violation with three being corrected on the spot. The other four violations included hands not being clean and properly washed; no adequate hand-washing facilities and having a certified manager. (September 24, 2010, Page 1A)
Fire officials from the Oxford Fire Department, the state Fire Marshal’s Office and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are trying to determine what might have caused a fire that destroyed The Lanes bowling alley and Brass Monkey Sports Pub & Grub early Wednesday morning. (September 23, 2010, Page 2)