Online Edition
Wednesday, May 27, 2015

VIDEO: UGA bounces Ole Miss from SEC Tournament

ATLANTAJarvis Summers scored a game-high 26 points and Marshall Henderson finished with 19 points, but Ole Miss was eliminated from the SEC Tournament with a 75-73 quarterfinal loss to Georgia late Friday night in a foul-infested game at the Georgia Dome.

Ole Miss (19-14 overall) had a chance to tie or win it after Georgia’s Marcus Thornton hit a free throw with 2.6 seconds left. The Rebels called a timeout to set up one final play and got the ball to Summers on the left wing. He took one dribble and put up a 3, but the shot caromed off the side of the rim as time expired.

The Bulldogs (19-12), who have won nine of their last 11 games, advanced to play Kentucky in Saturday’s semifinals.

It capped a rough shooting performance for the Rebels. Summers was on for most of the night, knocking down 10 of his 16 shots — his final jumper putting Ole Miss ahead 73-72 with 47 seconds left —  and freshman center Dwight Coleby made all three of his shots on his way to a career-high 10 points, but Ole Miss shot 42 percent for the game as a team and 39 percent in the final 20 minutes.

Henderson hit just two of his first eight shots, and his night only got worse from there. He finished 5 of 21 from the field and made just two of his 16 attempts from beyond the arc. His last miss came with the Rebels trailing 74-73 with five seconds remaining.

Charles Mann led Georgia with 16 points while Brandon Morris and Kenny Gaines each had 12 points. J.J. Frazier came off the bench to chip in 11, nine of those coming on a trio of 3-pointers. Thornton grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds and scored seven of his nine points from the foul line.

There were plenty of free throws to go around.

By the end of the night, 51 fouls had been called. The count was at 30 with 14 minutes still to play and grew past 40 with 3:38 remaining. Coleby and Sebastian Saiz each fouled out for Ole Miss. Three other players for each team finished with four fouls. Fifty-two of the game’s points came at the charity stripe.

The Rebels were the aggressors early, getting 10 quick points in the paint on layups from Martavious Newby and Aaron Jones, a pair of jumpers from Summers and another basket from Saiz. Henderson added the Rebels’ only 3-pointer of the first half as Ole Miss went up 18-7 eight minutes into the contest.

But Ole Miss missed 11 of its next 14 shots, and Georgia, which shot more than 50 percent for most of the half, rattled off a 22-10 run to take its first lead at 29-28. The teams traded buckets the final five minutes with a pair of free throws from Summers sending Ole Miss to the locker room with a 38-36 lead and continued to go back and forth in the final 20 minutes.

In the video below, Summers talks about his final look and how the game unfolded down the stretch.

See Monday’s edition of the EAGLE for complete coverage from Friday’s game. (March 15, 2014)

Share this Oxford Eagle story.

    Leave a Reply

    REMAX Legacy Realty Oxford Eagle