- Rowland Carothers — 56, died Sunday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Ralph Benjamin Gay Sr. — 79, died Saturday at Baptist Memorial Hospital North Mississippi. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Maude Key — 91, died Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014, at Graceland Care Center in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford.
- Joan Bolen Prestage — 80, died Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014, at Yalobusha General Hospital in Water Valley. Services will be held at 2 p.m. on Tuesday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow in the Paris Cemetery in Paris. Visitation will be held from 5 until 7 this evening at the funeral home.
- Dr. Emil Sidney Sanders — 67, died Friday, Jan. 24, 2014, in his home in Oxford. Graveside services will be held at 2 this afternoon at Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will follow at Oxford-University United Methodist Church. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. Following the services in Oxford, a memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at Northside United Methodist Church in Atlanta. Visitation will be held prior to the service beginning at 1.
- Juanita Mize Schoning — 91, died Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2014. Services will be private with arrangements by Ryan Funeral Home of Homewood.
You get all those strange email offers and stories, too, don’t you. Assistant News Editor Jeff Eubanks takes a closer look at one idea that popped up in his inbox recently: helping your pet with marijuana. (January 27, 2014, Page 4)
Rohini Patel writes about Miss America Nina Davuluri and how we still have a ways to go in this country when it comes to accepting and dealing with diversity. (January 27, 2014, Page 4)
BLOG — Marshall Henderson and Jarvis Summers each scored 19 points, and Ole Miss used a strong start to the second half to pull away for an 83-62 win over Mississippi State in front of 8,843 fans at C.M. “Tad” Smith Coliseum Saturday afternoon. (more…) (January 25, 2014)
Steven McRoberts’ career has come a long way. (January 24, 2014, Page 6A)
Oxford’s eighth-grade Chargers finished the 2013-14 season, and their two-year career on the hardwood, in memorable fashion Thursday night evening in the OHS gym. (January 24, 2014, Page 7A)
More than 27 restaurants, both fast food and full service, are participating in the first Restaurant Week where diners can vote for their favorite charity. The winning charity will receive $5,000. For more information, go to www.visitoxfordms.com. (January 24, 2014, Page 2A)
The OPC is now offering a free activity day for children 1 to 5 on Friday’s from 10 a.m. to noon in the beginner level gymnastics room. Parents must have a photo ID from the Oxford Activity Center. (January 24, 2014, Page 1A)
Scout Julany’s family history is peppered with memorable holiday tales: The year all the kids played an in-the-dark variation of tag in the basement and laundry room and her cousin got a hangar stuck in her nose and the Thanksgiving when her family used the ping-pong table for dinner and her uncle accidentally collapsed the corner leg, nearly landing the turkey in his lap. (January 24, 2014, Page 1B)
The No. 10 Ole Miss men’s tennis team will be seeking its 19th trip to the National Team Indoor Championships as the Rebels host the ITA Kick-off Weekend Saturday and Sunday at the Gillom Sports Center.