- Ralph Benjamin Gay Sr. — 79, died Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at Sylva Rena Baptist Church. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the church. Waller Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Teresa Swords — 43, of Etta died Monday, Jan. 27, 2014. Services will be held at 2 this afternoon at Christian Rest Church in Etta. Burial will follow at the church cemetery. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service at the church. Tutor Memorial Funeral Home of Pontotoc is in charge of arrangements.
WATER VALLEY — The Blue Devils have become a team that finds a way to win. Tuesday night was no exception as WVHS held off a pesky M.S. Palmer Dragon team to earn a 62-51 District 2-3A victory inside the WVHS gym. (January 29, 2014, Page 6)
Did you read or see “The Help” first? What about “To Kill a Mockingbird”? Editor Don Whitten notes there’s a book in much the same vein as those that’s available now rather than waiting for the film version. For more on Deborah Johnson’s “The Secret of Magic,” read today’s column. (January 29, 2014, Page 4)
Terry Haller writes about the response he got from Rep. Alan Nunnelee’s office recently about Republicans preparing to take on Hilary Clinton in the presidential race in 2016, while Rohini Patel writes about Miss America Nina Davuluri and how we still have a ways to go in this country when it comes to decency and dealing with diversity. (January 29, 2014, Page 4)
Oxford School District teachers’ pay will not be effected by a later start date for students in August. Teachers will start a week before students.
Bramlett Elementery School’s first online pre-registration for its pre-K program was an overwhelming success. More than 150 applications were received. (January 28, 2014, Page 1)
Lafayette Elementary School hosted their annual reading fair Thursday. First place winners will move on to the regional competition next month and Lafayette High School. (January 28, 2014, Page 3)
The southern side of Oxford and Lafayette County may soon have a new Dollar General store. The Lafayette County Planning Commission approved the plans for the 9,100 square-foot store Monday. (January 28, 2014, Page 10)
The Courthouse Square Historic Preservation Commission approved the basic style and color of proposed parking meters for premium spots around the Square that are expected to be in place this summer. A Certificate of Appropriateness was also granted to hotel developers to begin construction of Hotel Oxford to replace the former Downtown Inn. (January 28, 2014, Page 1)
- Kay Frances Bruce — 58, died Monday, Jan. 27, 2014, at the Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. Service will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home in Oxford. Burial will follow in Philadelphia Cemetery in Oxford. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Alonzo Crocker — 75, died Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014, at his home in Coffeeville. Services will be held Wednesday at Goshen Church in Yalobusha County. The processional to Goshen Church will leave Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley at noon Wednesday. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 this evening at the funeral home.
- Eddie “Boosie’ Hilliard — 57, died Monday in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford.
- John Eugene Pruett — 57, died Sunday, Jan. 26, 2014, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday in the Henry Chapel of the Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow in the Sand Hill Cemetery in Yalobusha County. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Ocia Smith — 89, died Monday at the Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.