The new Oxford High School located in Oxford Commons reached “sustainable completion” Wednesday and will open its doors to students Tuesday for their first classes at the new building. Superintendent Brian Harvey gave The EAGLE a sneak peek of the school and all of its state-of-the-art amenities. (January 3, 2014, Page 1B)
BLOG — Ole Miss’ women’s basketball team cut a 10-point deficit to single digits in the final minutes but couldn’t get enough stops on the defensive end, falling to Missouri 85-76 Thursday night at C.M. “Tad” Smith Coliseum in its Southeastern Conference opener. (more…) (January 3, 2014)
Ole Miss football fans wishing to see what future Rebels look like need to check out the seventh annual Under Armour All-American Game today on ESPN. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m. (more…) (January 2, 2014)
Oxford police officers made six arrests for DUI on New Year’s Eve. There were no fatal wrecks locally and across the state on Mississippi’s highways, according to the Mississippi Highway Patrol.
- William M. “Bill” Anderson Jr. — 76, died Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2013, at his home in Oxford. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Friday at the Oxford-University United Methodist Church in Oxford. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Park Cemetery. Visitation will be held for an hour and 45 minutes prior to the service in the fellowship hall of the church. Peebles Fayette County Funeral Homes & Cremation Center in Somerville, Tenn., is in charge of arrangements.
- Jeffie L. Campbell — 80, died Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2013, at her home in Batesville. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Friday in Wells Funeral Home Chapel in Batesville. Burial will follow in Blackjack Cemetery. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Vita Diane Williams Gillard — 48, died Saturday, Dec. 28, 2013, at her residence. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Tallahatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Burial will follow in Yocona Cemetery in Taylor. Visitation will be held from 6 to 7 p.m. Friday at Mt. Hope MB Church. Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc is in charge of the arrangements.
- Wynona Tramel Gossett — 87, died Monday, Dec. 30, 2013, at Graceland Care Center in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Delay Baptist Church in Lafayette County. Burial will follow in the Delay Church Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley.
- Cynthia Miller Pettis — 51, died Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2013, at her residence in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Second Missionary Baptist Church. Burial will follow in Buford Chapel Cemetery in Oxford. Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford.
- Aurelia Christalise Lealynn Simmons — infant daughter of Martin Simmons and Ariel Pryor, died Saturday, Dec. 21, 2013, in Oxford. A graveside service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at Clear Creek Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery. Waller Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Gregory Anthony Tinner — 46, died Tuesday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-East in Memphis. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
Fifty years ago, Ole Miss football player Reed Davis wed his high-school sweetheart in a narrow window between the season’s end and the Sugar Bowl. It’s a personal story from the golden age of Rebel football, in this week’s “A Conversation With…” (January 2, 2014, Page 3)
New Oxford EAGLE Staff Writer Jerra Scott was a bit surprised at some of the goodies wrapped up for youngsters for Christmas this year, and wonders if we aren’t taking some of the fun out of growing up for the little ones by giving them cellphones and iPads instead of Legos and Hotwheels. (January 2, 2014, Page 4)