Capt. Thelma Curry of the University Police Department was selected the 2013 Law Enforcement Officer of the Year by the Lafayette County Law Enforcement Officers Association Tuesday. Sheriff’s secretary, Cathy Connor, was awarded Support Personnel of the Year. (January 30, 2014, Page 1, 14)
State lawmakers are pushing for consolidation of several low-performing school districts in Mississippi. Water Valley and Coffeeville are included in the proposal of mergers. (January 30, 2014, Page 1)
- Martha Elnor Berry — 96, died Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2014, at the Yalobusha General Hospital in Water Valley. A graveside service will be held at 11:30 a.m. Saturday at Oak Hill Cemetery in Water Valley. Visitation will be held from 10 to 11 a.m. Saturday at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley.
- Rowland Carothers — 56, died Sunday, Jan. 26, 2014, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at the T.O.M.B. building in Oxford. Burial will follow in the Yocona Cemetery in Taylor. Visitation will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday at the Serenity-Martin Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford and for one hour prior to the service Saturday at the T.O.M.B. building. Repast will be held at the Stone Center in Oxford.
- Eddie Hilliard Jr. — 57, died Monday, Jan. 27, 2014, at his residence in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at Philadelphia M.B. Church in Oxford, with burial to follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 to 6 p.m. Friday at Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford.
- Maud “Bell” Mitchell-Key — 91, died Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014, at Graceland Care Center in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at East St. Peter’s M.B. Church, with burial to follow in the church cemetery. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Mary B. “Dump” Knight — 71, died Friday, Jan. 24, 2014, at Baptist Memorial Hospital–North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at Oakland Presbyterian Church in Oakland. Waller Funeral Home and Cremation Services in Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- John Mackie Pegues Jr. — 79, died Wednesday, Jan. 29, 2014, at Baptist Memorial Hospital–North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home in Oxford. Burial will follow in St. Peter’s Cemetery. Visitation will be held for an hour and a half prior to the service.
- Edna Marie Polk — 72, died Thursday, Jan. 23, 2014, at her residence in Longtown. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at Askew Grove M.B. Church. Burial will follow in the Askew Grove Cemetery. Visitation will be held from noon to 5 p.m. Friday at the Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Sardis.
- Doyle Scott “Butch” Vance — died Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014, at his home in Southaven. A gathering of friends will be held at a later date.
Oxford’s MHSAA Class 5A playoff opener against Center Hill followed nearly the same script as most of the Lady Chargers’ matches in the regular season. But Oxford found the back of the net a little more often this time. (January 30, 2014, Page 8)
Oxford’s depth and strength showed in the first boys powerlifting meet of the season. (January 30, 2014, Page 9)
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Jordan McRae followed one of the worst shooting performances of his career with one of his best. And that was the key to leading Tennessee to an 86-70 victory over Ole Miss on Wednesday.
Staff Writer Alyssa Schnugg, filling out a school form for her bi-racial granddaughter, became increasingly annoyed at one question that stumped her – the primary race of the child. Schnugg takes a look at the issue and wonders when race won’t be an issue and that we’re all members of the human race. (January 30, 2014, Page 4)
Local columnist T.J. Ray, with the Super Bowl coming Sunday, takes a look at how the national anthem is often sung before big events as well as how it is intended to be sung. (January 30, 2014, Page 4)
The Oxford, Lafayette, University of Mississippi community was awarded Tuesday by the Tennessee Valley Authority the Valley Sustainable Gold Community (January 29, 2014, Page 1)