Online Edition
Friday, May 29, 2015

Rebels fall to No. 13 Oregon, 115-105, in OT

BLOG — Senior guard Marshall Henderson poured in a career-high 39 points, but it wasn’t enough for Ole Miss as the Rebels’ upset bid of No. 13 Oregon came up short Sunday afternoon with a 115-105 overtime loss at C.M. “Tad” Smith Coliseum.

Offense ruled the day as 11 players finished in double figures. Five came from Ole Miss, which got 15 points apiece from Derrick Millinghaus and LaDarius White, 12 points from Jarvis Summers and 10 points from center Demarco Cox in addition to Henderson’s total.

Four of Oregon’s starters finished in double digits, led by forward Mike Moser’s 24. Johnathan Loyd put in 23 points while the Ducks’ leading scorer, Joseph Young, finished one point shy of his season average with 19 points. Damyean Dotson had 13 points while Elgin Cook and Jason Calliste came off the bench to provide 14 and 13 points, respectively.

The contest went back and forth throughout before Oregon (8-0) took an 84-78 lead with 50 seconds remaining. But Henderson knocked down a pair of 3s to keep the Rebels close enough for a final shot to tie the game with eight seconds left.

With the defense locked on Henderson, Summers got the ball at the top of the key, dribbled to his right and drilled a contested 3 to draw the Rebels even at 89-all. Oregon threw the ensuing inbounds pass away with less than a second left to give Ole Miss (6-2) a chance to win it in regulation, but Henderson’s shot was long, sending the game to overtime.

Ole Miss’ momentum didn’t last long. The Rebels committed one of their 17 turnovers on their first possession of extra time, and Young went the other way for a layup. The shots kept falling for Oregon, which outscored the Rebels 26-16 in the overtime period. The Ducks shot a torrid 59 percent from the field and went 11-for-18 from 3-point range.

“Just based on the ebb and flow, we got in a much better rhythm offensively (than the Kansas State game), but defensively, we never got key stops,” Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy said. “You can’t let a team come in your building and shoot 59 percent, score 115 and expect to win. Ultimately, we put ourselves in a position to go down, and that’s what happened.”

Ole Miss hung around using the hot hand of Henderson, who came off the bench for the seventh straight game. He hit his first 3 less than three minutes in and made nine more on a school-record 23 attempts from long range. Henderson finished the first half with 13 points before catching fire in the final 20 minutes.

Henderson, who addressed the media afterward for the first time this season, said he was looking for redemption after misfiring on a last-second 3-pointer in the Rebels’ 61-58 loss at Kansas State on Thursday.

“After the Kansas State game, I was kicking myself because I knew, I put that on me,” Henderson said. “Three-point game, and to have a game-winning shot and shoot an air ball, a senior leader and a guy trying to make a statement in his last year of college basketball does not need to be doing that. I know that, so I took that in the next couple of days working on my focus. Came out here real early today before the game, moving around just shooting a lot of game shots. That helped me definitely.”

  (December 9, 2013)

Share this Oxford Eagle story.

    Leave a Reply

    The Highlands, A Private Lake Community Oxford Eagle