Online Edition
Wednesday, April 16, 2014

No. 6 Chargers take down West Point

BLOG — The 600-pound Gorilla is finally off Johnny Hill’s back. After years of losing close games in the regular season and close playoff matchups, Hill and the Oxford Chargers ended years of frustration at the hands of West Point by posting a 30-20 win over the Green Wave at Bobby Holcomb Field Friday night.

The No. 6 Chargers (5-0 overall) never trailed in the game as they jumped out to a 21-0 lead in the first half. OHS running back Kenzie Phillips overcame a fumble on his second carry to score the first touchdown of the contest for the Chargers on a 7-yard run. After holding West Point’s star running back, Aeris Williams, short of a first down inside their own 10-yard line, the Chargers drove 94 yards on just five plays to take a 14-0 lead.

OHS quarterback Jack Abraham completed a key 21-yard pass to senior Glenn Gordon to get out to near midfield, while a 15-yard penalty on West Point only aided the long pass play. Gordon then took a reverse handoff and went around left end for a 42-yard touchdown.

“It was real big to get this win. I’ve never beaten them, I’ve been playing on the varsity since I was a sophomore and I came out here, my team came out here, we rallied the troops and tried to get this win over them,” Gordon said. “We hadn’t beaten them before but we came out with the mindset that we were going to see them in the playoffs later on the year. We were hyped the entire time. We came in at halftime and (Hill) said this game is not over, it’s still 0-0. We did what we had to do, we played hard and got the win over them.”

Oxford increased its lead to 21-0 on the ensuing drive, with 4:29 left in the second quarter, following a interception made by Mark Pegues. The Chargers’ short scoring drive looked in doubt after Abraham was sacked for a loss of 8 yards, but a tight throw down the left sidelines by Abraham and a catch from Kyree White gained 22 yards on a third-and-18. Phillips then capped the drive with a 3-yard run two plays later.

West Point scored just before the half following an interception by Abraham. The Green Wave got as close as 27-20 with 7:06 left on a 6-yard run from Williams. The score didn’t rattle the Chargers, however, as Abraham led them right back down the field and into field goal position for Cody Mills, who iced the game with his third field goal of the second half.

For more on Friday’s big win, see Monday’s edition of the EAGLE. (September 28, 2013)

Share this Oxford Eagle story.

    Leave a Reply

    First National Bank Oxford Eagle